SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-30-20, 10:37 PM   #1
MinskMariner
Watch

Downloads: 13
Uploads: 0
Default Migrating from SH4 CD to Digital Download?

Hi!

I purchased SH4 Gold Edition CD years ago and have been playing the same career on and off (without mods) since about 2014. This month, though, I purchased a new computer, and would like to migrate that SH4 career over to the new computer.

But... I no longer have the SH4 CD that I originally purchased. So... two questions:

1. Is the Amazon digital download version of SH4 the best substitute for the SH4 Gold Edition CD, which is no longer available?

2. If so, what folders and files do I need to copy from my current installation of SH4 (that contains my ongoing career) to be able to continue my SH4 career on my new computer, after I purchase the Amazon digital download version of SH4?

Thank you!

Current Career (SHCE)
Patrol 3 (USS Plunger): 1 merchant sunk (5,180 tons). Navy Cross.
Patrol 2 (USS Plunger): 2 merchants and 1 destroyer sunk (18,183 tons).
Patrol 1 (USS Plunger): 5 merchants sunk (31,118 tons). Bronze Star.
Previous Career: USS Shark lost on 1st patrol. No ships sunk.
MinskMariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-20, 11:18 PM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome back!

MinskMariner! after a three year silent run!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-20, 01:00 AM   #3
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

If you have no mods installed, all you will need to do then is to copy the Save folder from the old computer to the new. Unless you did something really strange, it will be found in your My Documents folder, which is usually "C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4", with UserName being what you log-in with, and "Documents" might be "My Documents", depending upon which version of Windows you have on the older machine. If it's XP, then you'll look in the "Documents and Settings" folder for "My Documents. The "SH4" folder there will have a "data" folder, and below that a "cfg" folder, and under that will be all the separate Save folders. You want the whole thing though, so select the "SH4" folder and copy the whole thing, and paste it into the same area on the new computer. Next time you start SH4, use the "Load" and see if you don't find all the old Saves in there. If you already have Save data on your new computer, it would be easiest if you re-name the SH4 folder you already have to something like SH4Bak or whatever, so you remember what it is, then copy the new stuff over.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-20, 06:09 AM   #4
captcrane
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 184

I am currently using Amazon's digital download. I have not had any problems. Everything is there including the Direct x. In fact it has one big plus. It installs faster than from the CD.
captcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-20, 06:23 AM   #5
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome BackTo The Subsim Community > MinskMariner
Subsim <> Make A Donation <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
SH3 – 4 - 5 Tutorials > Downloads > Other Useful Information > See Links in My Signature Below

THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-20, 04:01 PM   #6
MinskMariner
Watch

Thank you all for the comments (and sorry for late reply).

I see that SH4 on Steam is on a big sale right now (50% off compared to Amazon digital download price).

Has anyone gotten the major SH4 mega mods (I'm particularly interested in the latest version of RFB) to work using SH4 Steam edition or does it cause all sorts of problems?

Current Career (SHCE)
Old 03-19-20, 04:20 PM   #7
SilentPrey
Navy Dude

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 2

Ahoy MinskMariner,

I play FOTRSU on a Steam copy of SH4. The install process is slightly different (mostly due to Steam games being installed in the Steam folder) but it's not difficult to mod Steam games. I didn't have any trouble playing TMO+RSRDC+OTC either.

Something to watch out for regarding pricing: SH4 on Steam is version 1.3 unless you also buy U-boats which makes it 1.5. There is no gold edition that I know of though, if you want 1.5 you will have to buy both and that may make the Steam copy more expensive for you.

Good hunting,
SilentPrey
SilentPrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-20, 05:47 PM   #8
MinskMariner
Watch

Thank you for the info, SilentPrey! Currently, both SH4 and the U-boat addon for it are on sale for $3.40 each on Steam ($6.80 for whole package -- not a bad deal). I'll chance it with the Steam version. Thank you all for the advice!

Current Career (SHCE)
Old 03-25-20, 11:14 AM   #9
MinskMariner
Watch

I've installed the Steam edition of SH4 (plus U-boat missions) and transferred my old SH4 folder per instructions above. When I try to load my latest game from career, my game gets stuck on the "Please wait..." black screen (actually requiring me to restart my computer each time to exit SH4 even).

Does anyone know how to fix this issue?

Current Career (SHCE)
Old 03-25-20, 01:05 PM   #10
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Get rid of your old SH4 Folder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinskMariner View Post
I've installed the Steam edition of SH4 (plus U-boat missions) and transferred my old SH4 folder per instructions above. When I try to load my latest game from career, my game gets stuck on the "Please wait..." black screen (actually requiring me to restart my computer each time to exit SH4 even).

Does anyone know how to fix this issue?
It's my humble opinion based on what I've learned from these forums, you can NOT play old saved games that are in your old SH4 Folder. They would now be incompatible.

You would do better by entirely deleting your old SH4 Folder from Documents and then run your newly installed game, which will create a new SH4 Folder. Go to Options and redo Audio, Graphics and Game Play options. If me, I'd then sign out of the game and reboot the game to play.

Hope this helps.