Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-12-14, 10:26 AM   #1
msalama
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 99
Uploads: 0
Default Can I get rid of UPlay?

Hello Kaleuns, long time no see

Some of you may remember me from the days of old, some not - and no wonder, since I haven't been around in ages. But I just happened to pick up a Green Pepper version of SH5 for the princely sum of €6 and a bit, and while the game seems to run adequately per se even on this POS laptop I have, I also seem to have contracted a disease called UPlay. How can I get rid of this piece of malware?

I first thought this weird and perverted UPlay doesn't even install the game locally, but just found that I seem to have a working installation under
C:\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 5. Is it in any way possible to run the game directly from there, and give UPlay a big boot up the backside?

Also, is it possible to mod this local copy with JSGME? Thanks for any help you'd care to give me gents!

PS. Sorry if any (or all) of the above is FAQ stuff, but I really have been away for so long that I don't even know where to start looking. Thanks again!
msalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-14, 11:11 AM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome back!

msalama!Better tech advice will arrive shortly! nice silent run!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-14, 11:16 AM   #3
msalama
Samurai Navy

Danke Herr Kaleun! The game ran once, and now asks for reactivation. And when I try to do that, it claims the key is already bound to a different account. Uninstalling and reinstalling next to see what happens...
Old 09-12-14, 11:41 AM   #4
Lexandro
Navy Dude

Downloads: 100

Uplay is Ubisfots "storefront" software, basically an imitation of Steam. As such you need Uplay to activate and run SH5. Your "key" is tied to an account on Uplay, so that if you lose the disc or have to reformat your sytem you can download the game again. That means your key once used is then useless without the account information it was tied to.
Lexandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-14, 11:48 AM   #5
msalama
Samurai Navy

OK, thanks, will have to put up with UPlay and its seemingly constant updates then. What's vexing, though, is that the game ran once and then croaked, saying that the key is already bound to a different account. I don't know, I'll try reinstalling and let's just see what happens. Thanks again
Old 09-12-14, 12:04 PM   #6
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

Consider it part of the REALITY MAN! Everything about a Uboat is vexing We've got UPLAY; the real guys had enigma and having to check in with Doenitz...every day! Throw in a little DFing to get you killed...

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 09-12-14 at 12:47 PM.
Old 09-12-14, 01:32 PM   #7
msalama
Samurai Navy

Quote:
Everything about a Uboat is vexing
Oh yeah, it just shouldn't be vexing like THIS.

Anyway, got it working from the HDD after reinstalling, i.e. I can now log in & run the game if I start it directly from C:\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 5\sh5.exe. What's funny, though, is that when I log in from there it asks for an username/password combo which seems to be my old UBI login from back in the day + there's no key query whatsoever, but on the 1st failed go I did something different (got autopatched to v1.20 perhaps?) and got an UPlay login screen asking for an email/password. Now that, too, lets me in - I actually have an unused UPlay account from years ago which I didn't remember at all first - but then it asks for a key it won't accept!

Does this have to do with the game version? I'm running v1.05 now, which probably is too old. So how do I upgrade, because unlike on the 1st round it doesn't seem to do it automatically anymore? And if I upgrade, am I again presented with the dreaded UPlay email login which doesn't work?

So yah, vexing indeed, just not the way I want it

PS / EDIT: Found a GU.exe in the Support\GameUpdater folder that seems to be working; it's downloading an update just now.

Last edited by msalama; 09-12-14 at 02:01 PM.
Old 09-12-14, 03:02 PM   #8
msalama
Samurai Navy

Yep, updating to v1.20 seems to break this.

In the original v1.05 installed from the Green Pepper DVD I get a different login screen asking for my username and password. And when I enter my old UBI username and PW, I get to the launch screen no questions asked, and am able to start the game from there. No keys entered at any point, mind.

After patching to v1.20 however, I'm presented with a UPlay screen asking for an email & PW. I can log on to my ancient UPlay account without problems, but when I enter the key received with the game, UPlay returns an error saying the game is bound to a different account already.

Now what? Can I roll back to v1.05 somehow?
Old 09-13-14, 10:54 AM   #9
jonesywild
Nub

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by msalama View Post
Hello Kaleuns, long time no see

Some of you may remember me from the days of old, some not - and no wonder, since I haven't been around in ages. But I just happened to pick up a Green Pepper version of SH5 for the princely sum of €6 and a bit, and while the game seems to run adequately per se even on this POS laptop I have, I also seem to have contracted a disease called UPlay. How can I get rid of this piece of malware?

I first thought this weird and perverted UPlay doesn't even install the game locally, but just found that I seem to have a working installation under
C:\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 5. Is it in any way possible to run the game directly from there, and give UPlay a big boot up the backside?

Also, is it possible to mod this local copy with JSGME? Thanks for any help you'd care to give me gents!

PS. Sorry if any (or all) of the above is FAQ stuff, but I really have been away for so long that I don't even know where to start looking. Thanks again!
Hi i cant even install silent hun ter 5 any advice as it it says servers unattainable
jonesywild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-14, 11:21 AM   #10
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Default Welcome Aboard

jonesywild! Good help to arrive shortly

Old 09-14-14, 03:05 AM   #11
msalama
Samurai Navy

OK, I'm done with this garbage.

Reinstalled Greenpepper SH5 v1.05, patched manually to v1.20, got the game started OK from the in-game login screen & proceeded by setting up game preferences (no music, GFX options low etc.), rebooted, restarted SH5, got thrown into Uplay again after it had updated itself, with a result of said POS refusing to register the game saying the key is already in use by another account. Things to do next: 1) remove game 2) throw the installer DVD away 3) refuse to have ANYTHING to with UBI anymore.

Thanks for listening and sorry for the rant guys.
Old 09-14-14, 04:17 AM   #12
msalama
Samurai Navy

Default And finally - success!

Eh... well it's me again guys Glad to report that I gave this a final shot before splitting the DVD in 2 and actually got it working by using a certain publicly available tool. All I can say is thanks TDW, I owe you one!

But there's still one minor snag. I tried to save my settings, but the game doesn't accept them now and resets to defaults instead at exit. Where does SH5 keep its configuration, so I can check for broken file/directory permissions etcetera? Thanks again!

EDIT:

Except that it now crashes every time I try to play a mission. OK, my patience's gone, canning this POS forever & will split the DVD too and I'll see you when I see you. Sad to see UBI is still full of it!

PS. Not particularly furious about the €6.99 going down the drain since that's peanuts. It's just that I'm upset how some entities are seemingly still allowed to continue with their extremely dubious if not criminal business practices. I mean, WTF?

Last edited by msalama; 09-14-14 at 06:14 AM.
Old 09-29-14, 11:23 PM   #13
tinygirl
Watch

Downloads: 171

jonesywild server unavailable is telling you that the copy you have is registered in another account and that account is most likely yours which you have forgotten either the email addy or the password I had the same problem and submitted a complaint explaining if they took the trouble to look they would see I had originally registered the game that seemed to work next time I went to play it everything worked fine
tinygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-14, 09:02 PM   #14
WilhelmSchulz.
The Old Man

Downloads: 17

Well hot damm welcome back shipmate! What do you think of V from an old III hand`s vewpoint? I still havent gotten it.

WilhelmSchulz. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-20, 04:30 AM   #15
msalama
Samurai Navy

Default Well goddamn

Hiya Kaleuns

Sorry for digging up an old thread, but I just have to apologize for that stupid rant above. Sorry guys