SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Indie Subsims > WOTA: Wolves of the Atlantic
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-28-14, 09:21 PM   #61
v-i-c-
Watch Officer

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by makman94 View Post
i understand the main points of your post V-I-C and it was very enlighting as i had the faulty sense that game engine is the real power behind the scene.
I guess you mixed that up with people who mod games or create slightly different games based on another game by doing extreme mods. That's comparable to the difference between freaks pimping a car or building a replica based on another car or a company designing a completely new car model from the scratch. (where you don't always reinvent the wheel and use some existing components)

To quote Unity Technologies:
Unity is a game development ecosystem: a powerful rendering engine fully integrated with a complete set of intuitive tools and rapid workflows to create interactive 3D and 2D content …but unfortunately it does not offer you any tools for really huge environments. Most of the tools are useful for level based games only where you can bake lights, use occlusion culling, static and dynamic batching etc. - I can use most of those tools of the engine for the boat's interior and for animations of characters only.

The scripting API is the most important "feature". But that does not offer any miracles. Creating a game is nothing else but a lot of very different steps of work, some are boring, some are extremely tricky or complicated, some are a wall of math, some are creative and fun - but at the end it is always work and 90% of it is writing code.

But Unity is powerful, beginners can do some amazing (but extremely limited) things without writing code, this way they attract new customers who try to make games with weird 3rd party tools like "PlayMaker". But you can't go that route for serious projects.

Quote:
the curvature of earth...sounds like 'heaven' to me.
Actually adding this is just a few lines of code. The hardest part of it is to remember to add it to everything that will be affected by it.

WOTA: Wolves of the Atlantic - upcoming mobile U-boat simulation for iOS (later Mac, PC, Linux) • subsim forumfacebook
v-i-c- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-14, 01:36 PM   #62
v-i-c-
Watch Officer

Quote:
have you prepared the look of water at heavy seas ? can you show us a video of the most heavy state of it?
This is the new lighting and new clouds in a light rough sea.

WOTA: Wolves of the Atlantic - upcoming mobile U-boat simulation for iOS (later Mac, PC, Linux) • subsim forumfacebook
Old 10-14-14, 10:16 AM   #63
makman94
Hellas

Downloads: 182
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-i-c- View Post
This is the new lighting and new clouds in a light rough sea.

looks very good V-I-C !
can you upload a tiny video showing this ?

ps: a small thought ,although i can clearly understand that these are easily adjustments and ,of course, tastes: i would like a more close to deep blue sea rather than this greeny one

Mediafire page:http://www.mediafire.com/folder/da50.../Makman94_Mods
makman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-14, 07:23 PM   #64
v-i-c-
Watch Officer

Movie of a test for lightnings in overcast weather:

EDIT:
Another version of the lightnings with more blue light due to the thunderbolts.

I've deleted the other video

Quote:
ps: a small thought ,although i can clearly understand that these are easily adjustments and ,of course, tastes: i would like a more close to deep blue sea rather than this greeny one
The water color depends a lot on the current overall light - and it is currently the greenish version. (you will see different colors in game)

Will upload a movie when I've finished the latest overhauling of the environment.

Last edited by v-i-c-; 10-15-14 at 08:20 PM.
Old 10-16-14, 09:02 PM   #65
makman94
Hellas

Quote:
Movie of a test for lightnings in overcast weather:

EDIT:
Another version of the lightnings with more blue light due to the thunderbolts.

it really gives you the feeling ! very good V-I-C

Quote:
The water color depends a lot on the current overall light - and it is currently the greenish version. (you will see different colors in game)

Will upload a movie when I've finished the latest overhauling of the environment.
oh,even better then can't wait for your next video

Old 10-17-14, 11:48 PM   #66
v-i-c-
Watch Officer

not really the video that I wanted to show but I pressed on record so here it is ;-)

the readme file:

Another quick and dirty test. Terrible video compression. Added specular reflections of the thunderbolts to the water surface. Some kind of random environment setup. Please ignore the sub (direct light is too… well, direct), ignore the activated lens flare, ignore the video quality (turn at least HD to get a bit rid of the compression artifacts), I've accidentally touched the GUI several times - also ignore that (except at the end where I did it on purpose but for no reason ;-)) - and yes, I also think the reflections are a bit too bright Have I already mentioned the bad video quality?

Old 10-19-14, 05:23 PM   #67
v-i-c-
Watch Officer

This is currently the strongest sea in the game with a wave height of 8 meters from deepest trough to highest crest.

Still some issues with the water that need a fix.
The PostFX might be too strong (this kind of PostFX might work with iPad Air 2 only - need to test performance per device)

Old 10-25-14, 02:06 AM   #68
v-i-c-
Watch Officer

Another video of the most heavy sea in higher quality. Recorded from iPad screen and via AirPlay. Camera does a ride with the boat (kind of "mounted" to it).
Still working on the light… lighting of ships still need improvement when in heavy seas.

Old 12-21-14, 03:55 PM   #69
v-i-c-
Watch Officer

iPad screen recording

Last edited by v-i-c-; 01-17-15 at 10:27 PM.
Old 12-22-14, 01:27 PM   #70
makman94
Hellas

Bravo V-I-C !!!

amazing stuff you show here ! everything i see is superb ...the compass(!),the rudder(!) ,the glasses(!!!!),the 'watered' look on metals (!!)....the underwater scene....everything ! a big bravo to you!

ps: i am more than sure that you are creating the sub simulator that will hit the nail and will be the landmark for each simulator after it. i am convinced that here is the simulator that this community was begging for all these years !

all the best V-I-C !

Old 12-22-14, 03:19 PM   #71
Sung
Developer

Downloads: 6

Vic ich tauche seit 15 Jahren und war in fast jedem Ozean dieser Welt. Das ist mit Abstand das beste und schönste was ich bisher Digital gesehen habe. Das kommt der Wirklichkeit so nahe das es einem fast Angst macht was auf dem Smartphone möglich ist und Du das so umsetzt. Riesen Ding

SILENT DEPTH the submarine simulation for your mobile device
www.silentdepth.com
https://www.facebook.com/silentdepth/

Silent Depth Manual
Sung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-15, 10:37 PM   #72
v-i-c-
Watch Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sung View Post
Vic ich tauche seit 15 Jahren und war in fast jedem Ozean dieser Welt. Das ist mit Abstand das beste und schönste was ich bisher Digital gesehen habe. Das kommt der Wirklichkeit so nahe das es einem fast Angst macht was auf dem Smartphone möglich ist und Du das so umsetzt. Riesen Ding
Dankeschöööööön

But the hull makes no shadows in the water - but that would be something to add for the desktop version.

Old 11-11-15, 12:26 AM   #73
Méo
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 240

Quote:
Bravo V-I-C !!!

amazing stuff you show here ! everything i see is superb ...the compass(!),the rudder(!) ,the glasses(!!!!),the 'watered' look on metals (!!)....the underwater scene....everything ! a big bravo to you!
Seconded!
Méo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-16, 03:06 PM   #74
v-i-c-
Watch Officer

Happy Holidays:

Old 12-25-20, 06:53 AM   #75
v-i-c-
Watch Officer

Happy holidays! And best wishes for 2021. WOTA development continues (yes, really) and the new website will finally be online in January.