SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-19-08, 08:44 AM   #121
klh
Ensign

Downloads: 200
Uploads: 0
Default Version 3 of Handbook

Just an fyi - I've published version 3 of the Attack Disc Handbook...

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...4&postcount=55
klh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-08, 09:20 AM   #122
Kaleu. Jochen Mohr
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 47

whats this thingy for ?

Kaleu. Jochen Mohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-08, 12:02 PM   #123
klh
Ensign

Downloads: 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleu. Jochen Mohr
whats this thingy for ?
Assuming you mean the attack disc (Angriffsscheibe), it is a tool primarily used to help the U-boat reach a favorable attack position and solve for target data to input into the TDC. It is very useful to those who use manual targeting.

One side is an angle solver, and the other is a circular slide rule to solve for time, distance, speed, and angles.
klh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-08, 08:32 AM   #124
Eaj13
Sailor man

Downloads: 0
Default an other KM wizz-wheel model?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman
I wish I had the time to do a full update of the wheels, but right now I lack it, to the point I have stopped playing SH3 and SH4. There are many things I have learned on the way, and so many more I learned from you guys who follow passionately these kind of handtools, and I would really really like to be able to put together a new, updated version with a KM style manual.

I have copies of some of the sheets of the original Kriegsmarine manual for that instrument and some additional pictures of the wiz-wheel (See below), and now I also know that only has one side, the main one :hmm: and the other mathematical calculations were done with other slide rulers.

All that knowledge was collected after I did my templates, thus some of the imperfections in the wheel come from that (Others are entirely my own fault).

However, I will try to upload one little fix I had ready before I got too busy with real life, which will allow having the ship silhouettes on the pointer be aligned correctly.

Glad you are all enjoying the wheel anyway.

amigo Hitman

te adjunto enlace a foto de otro modelo de regla de cáculo circular de la KM, recién adquirida. ¿Tal vez pudieras contextualizarla en relación a tus fantásticas piezas? Carezco de manual relacionado. Mil gracias de antemano por tu ayuda. Subiré fotos más en detalle en cuanto saque tiempo

http://ag727.vox.com/library/post/re...rpedos-km.html

descripción:
Manueller Torpedovorhaltrechner.
Skalenscheibe aus weißem Kunststoff mit einer Plexiglasskala zur Einstellung und Ablesung von Lagen-, Schneid- und Vorhaltewinkel bzw. Schussrichtung. Hersteller "Dennert & Pape, Hamburg-Altona", Werk.Nr. "73988". Dazu der hölzerne Aufbewahrungskasten mit Firmenschildchen und Nummernschild "Mar.Nr. 2151. Kastengröße 28 x 35 x 12 cm.

saludos
Alejandro
Eaj13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-08, 11:42 AM   #125
Puster Bill
Grey Wolf

I *WANT* one.
Old 07-01-08, 11:27 AM   #126
Eaj13
Sailor man

Default whiz wheel video

and a little video

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=5zt_f3IzsJM
Eaj13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-08, 07:58 PM   #127
Puster Bill
Grey Wolf

OK, it looks like a standard circular slide rule with a couple of linear arms that pivot off a centrally pivoted arm. That could be kind of tricky to make out of cardstock and transparencies.

Perhaps an adaptation of it, simplifying those functions done by the arms, would be a better idea.
Old 12-01-08, 04:50 PM   #128
spugnoid
Swabbie

Downloads: 22
Default Wiz-Wheel files

Is there any chance of obtaining a vector graphic of these files-- I am getting them printed onto vinyl and stuck onto thin plastic and the print shop would prefer to work with vector format but can still do raster if thats all I can provide.

Thanks,

spugnoid
spugnoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-08, 08:12 AM   #129
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Alex,

that's the german equivalent to the american BANJO, and you can find instructions for its use here: http://www.hnsa.org/doc/banjo/index.htm

That was a typichal WW1 calculator, but in WW2 they were kept for back-up purposes, in case the TDC broke

Quote:
That could be kind of tricky to make out of cardstock and transparencies.
Oh, it could be done, be sure the rotation is only in two dimensions, and that simplifies it considerably.

Only, it would be a large amount of work to create the templates , but not to later build it once you have them.

Quote:
Perhaps an adaptation of it, simplifying those functions done by the arms, would be a better idea.
I have already done a sketch of a simplified adaptation....

Last edited by Hitman; 12-02-08 at 08:18 AM.
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-08, 12:22 AM   #130
starbird
Watch

Downloads: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puster Bill

I *WANT* one.
Very cool. Looks like a miniature torpedo director, you can see how they were used in the first 2 videos here

http://www.dreadnoughtproject.org/tech/

pitctures here

http://www.gwpda.org/naval/a186365.htm

At least, thats what came to mind when I saw the picture.
starbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-08, 03:56 AM   #131
don1reed
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 910

Welcome aboard, Spugnoid.

I don't have the answer you seek; but, one of these lads here is bound too. So stay tuned.

Cheers,

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

~ George Orwell
don1reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-08, 04:27 AM   #132
spugnoid
Swabbie

Well, I've gone ahead and made vector files of the front side minus the transparencies so far. Now that I look at the backside it appears to be some kind of log scale. I'm just learning to use a vector program as I spend most of my design time in photoshop. So now I'm at a loss as to how to make Inkscape behave in such a way.

Oh well, the front side turned out quite well for my first foray into vector.

spugnoid.
Old 12-05-08, 02:27 AM   #133
spugnoid
Swabbie

Ok, I'm wondering if someone can help me out here. I am trying to build the backside of the attack disk in vector but I am at a total loss of how to calculate the position of the ticks on the scales. I can plot a sine wave on paper but can't for the life of me figure out how to put the values on a wheel, i.e. right numbers at the right angles.

I have spent well over 2 hours on search engines and can point you to a dozen or more sites that have slide rules of all types and shapes for download, but no one discusses the math behind the scales.

I'm sure that at least several people on this board can do this in their sleep and if you would care to slide (ooh! a pun!) a few formulas my way I would be grateful. I will be sure to post my files when finished.

spugnoid.
Old 12-05-08, 08:02 AM   #134
don1reed
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 910

If I understand you correctly spugnoid...then,

draw straight lines on an "x", "y" axis,

let their intersection be called "o",

using "o" as the center of a circle, construct a circle.

draw parallel tangents from top and bottom of the circle.

Within those parallel tangents, construct said sine wave.

Now, from the center point of the circle draw a radius that would represent 0 deg. Let same radius represent 0 deg. of the sine wave. (drawn precisely between the parallel tangents).

Now draw a 45 deg. angle from "o" of the circle to it's circumference; from this point on the circle's circumference, continue drawing this radius making it also parallel to the afore mentioned tangents. You will now note that where this line intersects the sine wave, will also be the 45 deg. mark on the sine wave.

You are now free to continue drawing additional radii and their sinusoidal equivalents.

Sorry that I don't have my scanner hooked up or I'd send you a pic.

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

~ George Orwell
don1reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-08, 09:03 AM   #135
joegrundman
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 34

i don't really know what vector is, but i've made some of these disks before for the U-jagd tools mod, and I used a spreadsheet to produce all the appropriate degree deflections for the required mathematical formula
"Enemy submarines are to be called U-Boats. The term submarine is to be reserved for Allied under water vessels. U-Boats are those dastardly villains who sink our ships, while submarines are those gallant and noble craft which sink theirs." Winston Churchill
joegrundman is offline   Reply With Quote