SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-12-19, 09:42 AM   #16
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 452
Uploads: 0

If you still have the trembling water looking in TMO or other mega mod, I’m afraid your issue is lying elsewhere...because those mods have already fast sea speed.
Furthermore changing sea speed affect the whole waves rendering. Changing sea speed only for 5m/s waves affect also the others! It’s very complicated to get the right settings for good rendering.
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-19, 09:59 AM   #17
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

rex84, have you tried to use the "GROM" with your monitor? I'm looking at the "splash" page for it online, and they mention being able to adjust your refresh rate, but there is no mention of how to do that. While 144 Hz probably is beautiful with the newer games, SH4 might be looking for a 60Hz divisible?? Or is that only selectable by the resolution used?

Do you happen to have an old LCD monitor you could try temporarily with either a VGA or DVI connection, and run at that monitor's 'native' resolution? See if you still have the same thing? Have you tried an HDMI connection instead of DVI? Any time you make changes on the computer though, be sure you match them in the game before "going in". Exit and re-start so that the new settings "take"...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-19, 03:35 PM   #18
rex84
Watch

Downloads: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
rex84, have you tried to use the "GROM" with your monitor? I'm looking at the "splash" page for it online, and they mention being able to adjust your refresh rate, but there is no mention of how to do that. While 144 Hz probably is beautiful with the newer games, SH4 might be looking for a 60Hz divisible?? Or is that only selectable by the resolution used?

Do you happen to have an old LCD monitor you could try temporarily with either a VGA or DVI connection, and run at that monitor's 'native' resolution? See if you still have the same thing? Have you tried an HDMI connection instead of DVI? Any time you make changes on the computer though, be sure you match them in the game before "going in". Exit and re-start so that the new settings "take"...
I can lower my Hz with the Nvidia control panel all the way up to 30hz but that didn't do anything. I don't have a old LCD monitor, I kinda wish I did now. I have tried the HDMI connection and its at 60 hz and it didn't do much to fix the problem, is it also possible that the game doesn't like 64bit systems? maybe it wouldn't happen in a 32bit vista or windows xp thanks for the feedback
rex84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-19, 03:54 PM   #19
propbeanie

No, the OS shouldn't matter, and really, the speed of the display shouldn't matter, unless it's too low. You should be right in the sweet spot for a computer... Fifi and Front Runner both have nVidia Inspector set-ups that you could attempt to apply, which is where I was getting that "Diablo II" comment from, since they use that as a reference in Inspector. Another thing to try, though I don't know if you would see a difference in the Stock game, is to use a LAA (Large Address Aware) aware applet on the SH4.exe file, so that SH4 is able to address more than 4 gig of RAM. It was written to that spec, but at the time, was not "enabled". For reference to that and Windows 10, see CapnScurvy's thread Windows10; Large Address Aware; SH4 Install. It might be that it needs that RAM, especially if your computer maybe has a bit of "background" apps running...

Old 11-12-19, 04:35 PM   #20
rex84
Watch

Quote:
No, the OS shouldn't matter, and really, the speed of the display shouldn't matter, unless it's too low. You should be right in the sweet spot for a computer... Fifi and Front Runner both have nVidia Inspector set-ups that you could attempt to apply, which is where I was getting that "Diablo II" comment from, since they use that as a reference in Inspector. Another thing to try, though I don't know if you would see a difference in the Stock game, is to use a LAA (Large Address Aware) aware applet on the SH4.exe file, so that SH4 is able to address more than 4 gig of RAM. It was written to that spec, but at the time, was not "enabled". For reference to that and Windows 10, see CapnScurvy's thread Windows10; Large Address Aware; SH4 Install. It might be that it needs that RAM, especially if your computer maybe has a bit of "background" apps running...
quick question doesn't the 4G patch do the same thing as LAA? https://ntcore.com/?page_id=371
Old 11-12-19, 09:41 PM   #21
rex84
Watch

Cant even install Windows xp or vista so much for that plan.
Old 11-12-19, 10:09 PM   #22
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex84 View Post
quick question doesn't the 4G patch do the same thing as LAA? https://ntcore.com/?page_id=371
Somewhat, just a different way of doing it. Note though that the NTCore utility is not "LAA", which is linked to in CapnScurvy's thread. In all of the similar utilities, all you do is flip some bits in the executable file's header that signifies that the program is capable of addressing more memory, so Windows will feed it data to do such. If you set an app that is not able to address more memory, you will end up with a crash. SH4 is able to address the memory properly. However, especially with some disk game installs, the files are written to the hard drive with the "Read-only" attribute set, and if such is the case, it doesn't matter what applet you use to set the bit, it just won't be set, because the file can't be written to. Is you Windows 8.1 32-bit though, or 64-bit?

Quote:
Cant even install Windows xp or vista so much for that plan.
Yeah, certain hardware is not longer recognized... Someone had a list somewhere not too terribly long ago, but many hardware manufacturers have dropped support for WinXP, Vista, and some have dropped 7 already... - You should not have to jump through hoops to accomplish this though.

Old 11-12-19, 10:57 PM   #23
rex84
Watch

Quote:
Somewhat, just a different way of doing it. Note though that the NTCore utility is not "LAA", which is linked to in CapnScurvy's thread. In all of the similar utilities, all you do is flip some bits in the executable file's header that signifies that the program is capable of addressing more memory, so Windows will feed it data to do such. If you set an app that is not able to address more memory, you will end up with a crash. SH4 is able to address the memory properly. However, especially with some disk game installs, the files are written to the hard drive with the "Read-only" attribute set, and if such is the case, it doesn't matter what applet you use to set the bit, it just won't be set, because the file can't be written to. Is you Windows 8.1 32-bit though, or 64-bit?

Yeah, certain hardware is not longer recognized... Someone had a list somewhere not too terribly long ago, but many hardware manufacturers have dropped support for WinXP, Vista, and some have dropped 7 already... - You should not have to jump through hoops to accomplish this though.
I have Windows 10 and Windows 7 installed on the same ssd drive.
Old 11-13-19, 07:43 AM   #24
propbeanie

Well, you have to specifically ask for a 32-bit Win10, so I'll assume you are running 64-bit versions of your OSes. That only leaves checking the SH4.exe to be sure it is not set to "Read-only" in its attributes, so that a LAA applet "takes" on the SH4.exe file. Another thing is if you are still using the same SH4 Save folder information (usually "C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4"), then you might empty that to clear the old contents out. The game runs off of the info in that folder. It will also re-set your Options settings in all of those menu choice areas, including sound, game options and graphic options, so you'll have to go back in to put them how you want them. You also, of course, lose all game progress, so if you're just wanting to experiment with re-doing that, instead of deleting the info, copying and / or moving it to another folder to keep it safe might be a better way, so that you could restore that if new data fails to help.

After that, if you followed all of THEBERBSTER's info, and you don't "shell-out" to the Windows desktop, then I'm at a loss. SH4 has fewer issues with graphics than SH3, and when you do have issues, it is usually easier to deal with... perhaps it is hardware with either the vid card or the display, but I don't see how. As stated before, the game has a tendency toward looking like that with dead-calm seas, and usually, most mods with a different scene.dat file do help...

Old 11-13-19, 11:31 AM   #25
rex84
Watch

Quote:
Well, you have to specifically ask for a 32-bit Win10, so I'll assume you are running 64-bit versions of your OSes. That only leaves checking the SH4.exe to be sure it is not set to "Read-only" in its attributes, so that a LAA applet "takes" on the SH4.exe file. Another thing is if you are still using the same SH4 Save folder information (usually "C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4"), then you might empty that to clear the old contents out. The game runs off of the info in that folder. It will also re-set your Options settings in all of those menu choice areas, including sound, game options and graphic options, so you'll have to go back in to put them how you want them. You also, of course, lose all game progress, so if you're just wanting to experiment with re-doing that, instead of deleting the info, copying and / or moving it to another folder to keep it safe might be a better way, so that you could restore that if new data fails to help.

After that, if you followed all of THEBERBSTER's info, and you don't "shell-out" to the Windows desktop, then I'm at a loss. SH4 has fewer issues with graphics than SH3, and when you do have issues, it is usually easier to deal with... perhaps it is hardware with either the vid card or the display, but I don't see how. As stated before, the game has a tendency toward looking like that with dead-calm seas, and usually, most mods with a different scene.dat file do help...
Funny thing is sh3 works great so at least the water doesn't look funny there and I have something I can play but sh4 setting is unique and the gameplay works great but that water freezing up when I move my camera is killing me. I rather have the sailors have no eyes than to see the water move like that when I move my camera.
Old 11-14-19, 06:41 PM   #26
rex84
Watch

Just ran this game on ubuntu and the same thing still happens. Pretty much ran out of ideas other than build a old comp for this game.
Old 01-09-20, 02:39 AM   #27
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

Ravat!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-20, 09:34 AM   #28
propbeanie

Say uh, rex84... I was just noodling in Stock last night, and I did make a "discovery" with my nVidia GTX 560Ti, which would have been a "revelation" ~IF~ someone hadn't mentioned this multiple times over the course of years, but... If you have "Vertical Sync" clicked, that will cause herky-jerky jello water. Some of the additional settings, such as "Environmental Effects", "Light Shafts", etc in the left column there can also contribute, but that "Vertical Sync" almost cannot be set "On" in Stock. It looks like the vid card does not like locking to the game...

Old 09-20-20, 10:55 PM   #29
rex84
Watch

Quote:
Say uh, rex84... I was just noodling in Stock last night, and I did make a "discovery" with my nVidia GTX 560Ti, which would have been a "revelation" ~IF~ someone hadn't mentioned this multiple times over the course of years, but... If you have "Vertical Sync" clicked, that will cause herky-jerky jello water. Some of the additional settings, such as "Environmental Effects", "Light Shafts", etc in the left column there can also contribute, but that "Vertical Sync" almost cannot be set "On" in Stock. It looks like the vid card does not like locking to the game...
went to my Nvidia setting and even forced v sync off but the water still shakes when you look up or down or move the free cam forward. thanks for the feed back though. just saw this video from 2012 and this is how the water is suppose to move. not sure what monitor his using so that could make the difference or the video card.

just saw another one from 2009 and the water is shaking in this video so maybe its built inside the game and if that's the case not much anyone can do.

Last edited by rex84; 09-20-20 at 11:26 PM.
Old 09-22-20, 10:34 AM   #30
propbeanie

Quote:
went to my Nvidia setting and even forced v sync off but the water still shakes when you look up or down or move the free cam forward. thanks for the feed back though. just saw this video from 2012 and this is how the water is suppose to move. not sure what monitor his using so that could make the difference or the video card.

(vid)

just saw another one from 2009 and the water is shaking in this video so maybe its built inside the game and if that's the case not much anyone can do.

(vid)
Not the nVidia settings for vsync, the game's, on the Main Menu, Options, Graphic Settings, lower-right corner. Clear the tick box. If it is not set, then... try backing off the various settings in the left column there one by one, and see which makes a difference. They can all affect things, with probably the Environmental being the strongest, Volumetric fog next, Light shafts, etc., with Post Process Filters being least interfering...