SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-13-22, 06:57 PM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default Whats working wrong in contemporary physics?

A lecture by Dr. Sabine Hossenfelder.

There are hand-made English subtitles.

Its about that the belief "what is beautiful in observed appearance must be true" has seriously derailed scientifc methodology and that "cold-blooded" reasonability and strict methdology must become the criterion to decide on scientific problems again.

On the Large Hadron Collider in Geneva, when it was switched on, found the Higgs boson, but none of the other expected miraculous things many people expected:

Quote:
"One wonders why so many physicists, in particular the theoretical physicists, were so convinced that the Large Hadron Collider should have seen oither things beside the Higgs boson. The answer is that they thought the universe should be beautiful in a partocular way."
Her and my mind in synch! I sat straight up and fully awoken when I heard her saiyng that sentence, and she immediately had my attention for the rest of the show. It feels so great to hear somebody speaking out this!

I think what she criticises, in a way also is true for over-theoretical theories like the string theory, (as far as I understood it, of course), which in my view is not even a theory, but a speculation that was launched and then was found difficult to give up again without doing huge damage to institutions' economics, individuals' careers, and reputation of publishers, and so, to keep it going whenever it hit rock bottom again, they added some more dimensions to its assumed preconditions - thankfully the string theory is not something that could ever be experimentally checked and verified or falsified (which in my book is a key criterion for a thoery acutally being a theory: it must be experimentally researchable, and the string thoery is not available for that). As I see it, a speculation was turned into a theory that now soaks up the money from many other fields of physics while not getting us anyware. It makes us wasting precious ressources. Endlessly, it seems. Its - pardon the joke - a black hole. Almost no coin escapes its gravity.

Last edited by Skybird; 01-13-22 at 07:16 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote