SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > UBOAT
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-13-21, 04:54 AM   #1
xXNightEagleXx
Planesman

Downloads: 148
Uploads: 0
Default Could torpedo be fired in sequence but manually in RL?

In SH you can flood all tubes but manually fire each tube, while in this game all flooded tubes get fired. For that reason you cannot simple, compute the lead angle, position yourself and manually fire torpedoes, while they go through your periscope, by manually aiming to each compartment.

I believe that in real life it was possible to manually fire them, but i would like to confirm that.

I mean i had fun in SH (3,4,5) to set a Cromwell 45 degree angle attack and simple fire as i wish, here instead i'm forced to use spread mode which is not the same.
xXNightEagleXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-21, 12:46 PM   #2
derstosstrupp
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 489

UBOAT doesn’t get it right. SH3/5 did with respect to single shots and fan shots.

Generally all tubes were flooded for fire early in the process. Then the order was given for a single shot or series of single shots (“verbundene Einzelschüsse”), or a fan shot (“Fächerschuss”). The selections were made on a switch box beneath the chart table in the control room (on the VII).

Fans were used at longer ranges OR if there was significant uncertainty in target data, the goal being to get at least 1 hit with the assumption that at least one will miss (since the fan covers the entire target length). A series of single shots was used when data was certain, to ensure a valuable target sinks.

The decision to make it how it is in UBOAT is puzzling; the again, I’m constantly puzzled by design decisions vis a vis historical realities in that game…..

One-Stop Targeting Shop:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...WwBt-1vjW28JbO
My YT Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIJ...9FXbD3S2kgwdPQ
derstosstrupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-21, 04:46 PM   #3
xXNightEagleXx
Planesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by derstosstrupp View Post
UBOAT doesn’t get it right. SH3/5 did with respect to single shots and fan shots.

Generally all tubes were flooded for fire early in the process. Then the order was given for a single shot or series of single shots (“verbundene Einzelschüsse”), or a fan shot (“Fächerschuss”). The selections were made on a switch box beneath the chart table in the control room (on the VII).

Fans were used at longer ranges OR if there was significant uncertainty in target data, the goal being to get at least 1 hit with the assumption that at least one will miss (since the fan covers the entire target length). A series of single shots was used when data was certain, to ensure a valuable target sinks.

The decision to make it how it is in UBOAT is puzzling; the again, I’m constantly puzzled by design decisions vis a vis historical realities in that game…..

Thanks mate i was looking for RL historical reference and you sent it, thanks again
Old 06-14-21, 05:04 PM   #4
xXNightEagleXx
Planesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by derstosstrupp View Post

By the way i couldn't hold myself from clicking on your links and boy you gave me a lot contents to read and see about, that's a museum right there.
Old 06-14-21, 07:48 PM   #5
derstosstrupp
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 489

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXNightEagleXx View Post
By the way i couldn't hold myself from clicking on your links and boy you gave me a lot contents to read and see about, that's a museum right there.
Ok great to hear! Let me know if you have any questions on it, happy to help.

One-Stop Targeting Shop:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...WwBt-1vjW28JbO
My YT Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIJ...9FXbD3S2kgwdPQ
derstosstrupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-21, 02:01 PM   #6
Comrade1414
Nub

Downloads: 92
radar

They just released a patch on the unstable branch that now let's you do as you described.
Comrade1414 is offline   Reply With Quote