SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Classic Subsims
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-09-06, 02:29 PM   #1
horsa
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 44
Uploads: 3

Default So what was so bad about Destroyer Command ?

Are there enough people around to give a reasonably representative sample of views ?

Just to refresh :-

It was given right slagging by Gamespot
I believe sales figures were very poor.
It always attracted a high moan count from the forums.
horsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-06, 09:21 PM   #2
blue3golf
Weps

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I've never had a problems with it personally. The only thing I can remember is that there were problems with the MP aspect of it, but that was right after it first came out and everyone was still trying to figure it out.
blue3golf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-06, 10:10 PM   #3
Torplexed
Let's Sink Sumptin' !

Downloads: 43

I recall one of the biggest complaints was in order for it to be compatiable with SH2 it delayed the release of SH2.

--Mobilis in Mobili--
Torplexed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-06, 05:58 AM   #4
horsa
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Quote:
I recall one of the biggest complaints was in order for it to be compatiable with SH2 it delayed the release of SH2
True, but that was before release. I believe this was eventually sorted out. The Wolfpack/Eagle leagues seem to have successfully linked the two games for years now ... and didn't PM add some more stability ? I've never tried them online but was always happy with their performance over a LAN.
Old 10-10-06, 06:06 AM   #5
horsa
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Quote Glowwormguy from another thread ( my emphasis)
Quote:
Yeah, better graphics would be nice, though quite frankly I'd be happy seeing such things as crew quality and training, proper smoke (and making smoke) and gunnery (including BVR gunnery) and a better, branching campaign with the possibility for random convoy actions and historic battles like they had in the old Aces of Dynamix
Old 10-14-06, 04:45 PM   #6
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Personally I enjoyed it. While I hated SHII for not having a dynamic campaign, I thought the scripted flavor fit right in with DC, as destroyers have to do what they're told and never get sent out alone to "mess with the enemy".

I thought it was well done, and since I tend to run many careers side-by-side, once SH4 is out I intend to spend all my time going through the war playing both sides, both newer sub games and Destroyer Command (plus a couple of flight sims as well).
Old 10-14-06, 04:48 PM   #7
HS
Bosun

Downloads: 20

... some sort of long lasting dynamic campaigns, some crew members (see SH III), some big ship TFs including operational CVs
HS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-06, 05:45 PM   #8
Reinhard Hardegen
Raiders of the Deep

Downloads: 255

I saw no real problems with the game. I even find it very easy to set up campaigns and write misions for it. I feel it was a well thought out game, as well to it linking with SHII.
Reinhard Hardegen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-06, 05:49 PM   #9
Seeadler
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 169

@HS
If you would not write here in white letters, all could read your comment.

There are still other forum styles than SmartDark and those have a white background in the text area
Old 10-15-06, 11:11 AM   #10
Palindromeria
Planesman

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeadler
@HS
If you would not write here in white letters, all could read your comment.

There are still other forum styles than SmartDark and those have a white background in the text area

:rotfl:
Palindromeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-06, 11:41 AM   #11
HS
Bosun

Downloads: 20

I'm afraid, life tends to be a bit complicated from time to time ...
HS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-06, 02:30 AM   #12
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Probably the biggest problem for DC was that the surface simmers are not as many as the subsurface ones. Good examples of that are the relatively small communities of players from GNB or Fighting Steel. Anyway, for a destroyer game DC had in my opinion some serious flaws that could be corrected only to a certain extent:

-In ASW: Stupid sub AI, and too good Destroyer sensors & Depth charges

-In Surface action: Stupid AI in the enemy and limited rendering of ships to 14000 yards

My two cents
Old 10-17-06, 05:47 PM   #13
Albrecht Von Hesse
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

SHIII has been, literally, a dream come true to me. It's virtually exactly the game I've always wanted to play (and is about the only pc/video/etc. game I own and play).

However, after having played it for quite some time now I've gotten curious as to what it would be like with the shoe on the other foot; i.e. being a destroyer.

Is Destroyer Command worth it? I enjoy immersion/realism rather then snazzy graphics (although, hey, I'll take snazzy graphics too ) which is why I like SHIII as much as I do (and why I'd pay without blinking $200 for it, if that's what it took . . . and had it been fully developed before release). Will I be disappointed with Destroyer Command?

I assume if my pc/system is capable of running SHIII it will run DC without problems. I'm not gonna get a rude surprise with that assumption, will I?

And lastly, is it possible to MP with others, especially those running SHII and, if so, how easy is it to partner up with others?

T'anks!
Old 10-17-06, 06:02 PM   #14
horsa
Pacific Aces Dev Team

This is where you find the guys who play online . The Wolfpack League is for those who want to be sub commanders and the Eagle League is for those who want to command Destroyers. There are more sub commanders than Destroyer commanders.

http://www.subclub.info/phpBB_subclu...a45c32b76b259d

Recommending a sim is always a bit of a gamble because it is so subjective. DC is not as graphically rich as SH3 but you say this is not an issue with you. The graphics however are IMHO on the right side of the good/bad divide. DC certainly gives you an experience you can never get with SH3 so on that basis you should find it interesting, particularly if you go online. In single play mode you may get quickly bored by how bad the AI is. Anyway, these days you should be able to pick up Destroyer Command for buttons so you are not really risking much. Like all these games they are much improved if you can install a lot of the mods. Unfortunately most of the DC mods are not now so easy to find. If you are really intersested I can point you to where they are on a step by step basis.

Last edited by horsa; 10-17-06 at 06:06 PM.
Old 10-17-06, 06:08 PM   #15
Albrecht Von Hesse
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Thanks so much for the quick reply, and for your advice and opinion. I really appreciate it!