Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-06-09, 12:55 PM   #16
paulco
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
Spelling correction. Crap wrong button. Add to ignore list.
Hi everybody, me again.
Desktop shortcut to save keep typing CD DOSBOX, CD SILENT CDSILENT SH in the dosbox dos screen that comes up when starting DOSBox to get SH running does’nt seem to be working for me. But no matter as I am more interested it getting it to run in Full screen.
Does anybody else out there have it running in full screen. As mentioned previous post , all screens that I can find are already set to full screen.
Quick change of subject, Today, Have ordered “SILENT HUNTER COMMANDERS EDITION” From USA, they say a week to 10 days. As previously asked in other posts, ( but no answer yet ) will this new Version Run normally in WindowsXP or will I still have to go down the DOSBox Route.
Many thanks
Paul
Old 07-06-09, 02:18 PM   #17
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulco View Post
Hi everybody, me again.
Desktop shortcut to save keep typing CD DOSBOX, CD SILENT CDSILENT SH in the dosbox dos screen that comes up when starting DOSBox to get SH running does’nt seem to be working for me. But no matter as I am more interested it getting it to run in Full screen.
Does anybody else out there have it running in full screen. As mentioned previous post , all screens that I can find are already set to full screen.
Quick change of subject, Today, Have ordered “SILENT HUNTER COMMANDERS EDITION” From USA, they say a week to 10 days. As previously asked in other posts, ( but no answer yet ) will this new Version Run normally in WindowsXP or will I still have to go down the DOSBox Route.
Many thanks
Paul
Paul, how specifically do you launch SH. Start- DOSbox , then cd silent- sh or what. I can't help without the full explanation, plus I'm not familiar with Dfend.

This is also on the DOSbox site.
http://members.quicknet.nl/blankendaalr/dbgl/

Full screen from DOSbox instructions. Forgot that command.

Full Screen
Just press ALT+ENTER to go into and out of full screen.
Alternatively, you can open the dosbox.conf file as mentioned above and change "fullscreen=false" to "fullscreen=true". DOSBox will then run in full screen mode when you open it.

I don't think commanders ed will change the DOSbox need. It gives you in mission saves (big help) and a scenario editor such that you can make use of the scenarios posted on SUBSIM.
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-09, 03:36 PM   #18
paulco
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Paul, how specifically do you launch SH. Start- DOSbox , then cd silent- sh or what. I can't help without the full explanation, plus I'm not familiar with Dfend.

This is also on the DOSbox site.
http://members.quicknet.nl/blankendaalr/dbgl/

Full screen from DOSbox instructions. Forgot that command.

Full Screen
Just press ALT+ENTER to go into and out of full screen.
Alternatively, you can open the dosbox.conf file as mentioned above and change "fullscreen=false" to "fullscreen=true". DOSBox will then run in full screen mode when you open it.

I don't think commanders ed will change the DOSbox need. It gives you in mission saves (big help) and a scenario editor such that you can make use of the scenarios posted on SUBSIM.
Dosbox Shortcut is on Desktop, Click, Dosbox opens up to Dos Page, Type in the Folowing, CD DOSBOX, CD SILENT CDSILENT SH, Silent Hunter Game Intro, then game ready to play, Pick Scenario Game Starts fine but only in a window, would like to play the game full screen, but cannot find anything windowed to change as everything seems to be full screen already

Paul

P.S D-FEND not used in this install, Version 0.73

Last edited by paulco; 07-06-09 at 03:54 PM.
Old 07-06-09, 04:22 PM   #19
Buddahaid

Quote:
Dosbox Shortcut is on Desktop, Click, Dosbox opens up to Dos Page, Type in the Folowing, CD DOSBOX, CD SILENT CDSILENT SH, Silent Hunter Game Intro, then game ready to play, Pick Scenario Game Starts fine but only in a window, would like to play the game full screen, but cannot find anything windowed to change as everything seems to be full screen already

Paul

P.S D-FEND not used in this install, Version 0.73
Alt + Enter doesn't work once the game starts? Wait till I'm home from work and I'll try out some things.

Buddahaid

EDIT: Ah I think I see now. Your in full screen but there are large black borders. That is not fixable in DOSbox, but maybe the game resolution can be increased in it's options.

There is a file called DOSbox.conf and I have it in the start menu tree on my system. Open it and at the end it has lines that look like this.

[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.
mount c c:\dbgames\dynamix\aod
c:\
aod
exit

Edit yours to look like this, save it, and DOSbox should just launch directly into SH. If you want, first copy it as origDOSbox.conf , and save it somewhere you can find it, so you can put it back if things go haywire.

[autoexec]
mount c c:\dosbox\silent
sh
exit

Buddahaid

Last edited by Buddahaid; 07-06-09 at 08:54 PM.
Old 07-08-09, 11:17 AM   #20
paulco
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Alt + Enter doesn't work once the game starts? Wait till I'm home from work and I'll try out some things.

Buddahaid

EDIT: Ah I think I see now. Your in full screen but there are large black borders. That is not fixable in DOSbox, but maybe the game resolution can be increased in it's options.

There is a file called DOSbox.conf and I have it in the start menu tree on my system. Open it and at the end it has lines that look like this.

[autoexec]
mount c c:\dbgames\dynamix\aod
aod
exit

Edit yours to look like this, save it, and DOSbox should just launch directly into SH. If you want, first copy it as origDOSbox.conf , and save it somewhere you can find it, so you can put it back if things go haywire.

[autoexec]
mount c c:\dosbox\silent
sh
exit

Buddahaid
Hi all, still trying to resolve this issue

I'm in full screen but there are large black borders.

Have tried adjusting resolution within the game and on my computer but no luck. Any suggestions please

Regards

Paul
Old 07-08-09, 11:24 AM   #21
Buddahaid

None. I think you will have to live with that. Put the question to the DOSbox forum.

Buddahaid
Old 07-08-09, 12:44 PM   #22
paulco
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
None. I think you will have to live with that. Put the question to the DOSbox forum.

Buddahaid
Hi thanks for all your Help, l am using a 17" Widescreen monitor and SH sat in the middle of the screen is not fun to play. bad on the eyes. have also ordered SHCE from USA but looks as if I may have wasted my money.

Thanks again to you and all others for help.

Paul

P.S Am using Latest DOSBox 0.73 would I be wasting time using earlier version
Old 07-09-09, 09:16 AM   #23
paulco
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Hi all, still trying to resolve this issue

I'm in full screen but there are large black borders.

Have tried adjusting resolution within the game and on my computer but no luck. Any suggestions please

Regards

Paul
Hello, me again, Guess what? Finally got it running in full screen, BUT, back to multi-coloured Graphics Again.

Took whole lot out this morning and started again from Scratch Using DOSBox 0.73 but have seen somewhere in the forum that 0.63 version is more suitable but having spent the last couple hours on Dosbox site going round in circles, cannot find download link for it.

Don't Know what I'm Doing anymore, Ho, Ho.

Regards

Paul
Old 07-09-09, 12:28 PM   #24
bishop
A-ganger

Downloads: 4

Quote:
Hello, me again, Guess what? Finally got it running in full screen, BUT, back to multi-coloured Graphics Again.

Took whole lot out this morning and started again from Scratch Using DOSBox 0.73 but have seen somewhere in the forum that 0.63 version is more suitable but having spent the last couple hours on Dosbox site going round in circles, cannot find download link for it.

Don't Know what I'm Doing anymore, Ho, Ho.

Regards

Paul
You can get older versions of Dosbox here...

http://sourceforge.net/projects/dosbox/files/

I've been using 0.73 with SHCE in full screen with no problems or graphic glitches, but I don't have a wide screen monitor.
bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-09, 05:10 PM   #25
paulco
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishop View Post
You can get older versions of Dosbox here...

http://sourceforge.net/projects/dosbox/files/

I've been using 0.73 with SHCE in full screen with no problems or graphic glitches, but I don't have a wide screen monitor.
Hi and thanks for reply. Monitor is only 17" and not had any previous issues with it.

Your download link above is like nothing I've ever seen before and cannot find a direct link to 0.62 without making floppy disks, Don't want to go there. Think i'll persevere with 0.73 As i seem to be so close. What Screen Resolution are you using, Many thanks.

regards

Paul
Old 07-09-09, 05:23 PM   #26
bishop
A-ganger

Quote:
Hi and thanks for reply. Monitor is only 17" and not had any previous issues with it.

Your download link above is like nothing I've ever seen before and cannot find a direct link to 0.62 without making floppy disks, Don't want to go there. Think i'll persevere with 0.73 As i seem to be so close. What Screen Resolution are you using, Many thanks.

regards

Paul
That link is from the download page on dosbox.com under "Old Dosbox versions". Scroll down till you see the older versions listed. Next to .62 and .63 is a little plus sign, you click on that and it drops down to show the files, the ones you want are called DOSBox0.62-win32-installer.exe and DOSBox0.63-win32-installer.exe. I just tried it, worked fine on both of them. But you're probably better off just staying with .73 anyway, like I said it has been working fine for me.
Old 07-09-09, 05:26 PM   #27
bishop
A-ganger

Quote:

regards

Paul

Here's my settings from .73 config:

fullscreen=true
fulldouble=false
fullresolution=640x480
windowresolution=original
output=surface
autolock=true
sensitivity=100
waitonerror=true
priority=higher,normal
mapperfile=mapper.txt
usescancodes=true

My monitor is set at 1280x1024.
Old 07-09-09, 09:24 PM   #28
Eugene
A-ganger

Downloads: 226

Paulco, glad changing your resolution in dosbox fixed your black bars problems. Always a good idea to experiment with the various parameters of dosbox, one at a time, to see whether one solves whatever issue you may be having.

You also asked about resolutions outside of the standard ones offered like 640 and 800, etc. And you asked about sluggish dosbox performance in game.

1. I don't think there are other resolutions normally available, at least if you are using a front end like DeFend - but if you can type them in your conf file, it won't hurt to try. I've found generally that only one resolution will fill the entire screen.

2. You know about ctrl-F12 and F11? They increase or decrease the speed of the game - the cycles of your cpu for the game, in dosbox. Every time you hit ctrl F12 (iirc) the speed increase by a standard increment - starts at 500 cps, but you can alter that increment to be higher if you want. ctrl F11 slows it back down. Some games require quite a few increases before they run smoothly. I believe dosbox defaults to just 3,000 cps. I've had to go quite a bit higher for some sims such as F-15 Strike Eagle III to get smooth frame rates.

Good luck.
Old 07-10-09, 05:03 AM   #29
paulco
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
Paulco, glad changing your resolution in dosbox fixed your black bars problems. Always a good idea to experiment with the various parameters of dosbox, one at a time, to see whether one solves whatever issue you may be having.

You also asked about resolutions outside of the standard ones offered like 640 and 800, etc. And you asked about sluggish dosbox performance in game.

1. I don't think there are other resolutions normally available, at least if you are using a front end like DeFend - but if you can type them in your conf file, it won't hurt to try. I've found generally that only one resolution will fill the entire screen.

2. You know about ctrl-F12 and F11? They increase or decrease the speed of the game - the cycles of your cpu for the game, in dosbox. Every time you hit ctrl F12 (iirc) the speed increase by a standard increment - starts at 500 cps, but you can alter that increment to be higher if you want. ctrl F11 slows it back down. Some games require quite a few increases before they run smoothly. I believe dosbox defaults to just 3,000 cps. I've had to go quite a bit higher for some sims such as F-15 Strike Eagle III to get smooth frame rates.

Good luck.
Hi everybody, Finally got it sussed, WITH A HELL OF A LOT OF HELP.

Thanks everybody out there, Now working on Computer and Laptop.

Best wishes

Paul
Old 07-10-09, 10:50 AM   #30
Shearwater
Captain

Downloads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post

[...]

2. You know about ctrl-F12 and F11? They increase or decrease the speed of the game - the cycles of your cpu for the game, in dosbox. [...]

Good luck.
That's right. Two more things you might do to improve performance:

1) In the [cpu] section, you can set the cycles to 'max' and let DOSBox guess the optimal speed, i.e.:

core=simple
cycles=max
cycleup=500
cycledown=250

2) You might want to reduce the sample quality of your Soundblaster emulation. (the section is directly below [cpu])
Try setting it to 11025 instead of the 22050.
Shearwater is offline   Reply With Quote