Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-02-09, 12:50 PM   #1
paulco
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Silent Hunter Graphics Issue

Hi
Your Absolutely Right, Great for Installing Silent Hunter Original by SSI Without DOSBox, which did’nt seem to work for me.
Programme Loads Ok, No CD, Sound working Fine. Problem I have is the Screen Is one mass of Psychedelic colour and the mission Blackboard is Blank. Have Deleted the 3 files in the Cines directory As per previous Forum Member instructions but still the same. Also Running in Win95 Compatibility mode, 256 Colours,and 640x480 Mode.
I would think graphics in XP should be more than sufficient to run a Win98 game, but obviously ther must be another underlying problem. Have been trying to get this working for some weeks now without success. Any help would be gratefully accepted please.
Also I’m told there is a Silent Hunter Commanders Edition that runs in WindowsXP without messing with Dos Files or DOSBox, Is this correct, thanks.
Regards
Paul

Last edited by paulco; 07-02-09 at 04:56 PM.
Old 07-02-09, 08:13 PM   #2
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 0

I did that install without any problems or need to change graphics settings. I just checked, since I've changed graphics cards since, and it still runs correctly. So, I'm no help, but the install does work. Try the latest DOSbox? The biggest advantage in the Command version is the in mission save IMO. Wish I had it.

Buddahaid
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-09, 12:41 AM   #3
XTBilly
Officer

Downloads: 157

Very nice to see people are actually still playing SH !!!

I thought I was one of the dinosaurs still playing this.

My friends, the problem is not with the graphics card. It's about memory and Windows compatibility. I had purchased SH CE, only to find that I could not run it in any version but Win98...

I couldn't solve this, so, I turned to DOSBOX and another DOS emulator I cannot remember right now. DOSBOX actually worked for me, playing the game with sound and without the speed issue I experienced with another emulator.

I will post here a system configuration when I return home, unfortunately late at night...

A jewel in sub simulation world, glad it's still alive!!
XTBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-09, 12:53 AM   #4
Task Force
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 85

Oah, this just reminded me that I have a old SH1 disc... wonder if I could get DOSBOX to get it working.
Old 07-03-09, 03:12 AM   #5
paulco
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
I did that install without any problems or need to change graphics settings. I just checked, since I've changed graphics cards since, and it still runs correctly. So, I'm no help, but the install does work. Try the latest DOSbox? The biggest advantage in the Command version is the in mission save IMO. Wish I had it.

Buddahaid
Hi thanks for reply

There are two Installation Read me’s available from Subsowespac for installiing SILENT HUNTER into WindowsXP, DOS INSTALL and DOSBOX INSTALL. Tried Dosbox Install first, got as far as the following file, CONFIGURE D-FEND,but when opening up D-Fend files and information boxes did’nt match DOSBOX files and information boxes. So basically I settled for what I thought was the easier option which is DOS INSTALL.
As I said SH Is now up and running Apart from Multl-Coloured screen
I hope this information is useful.
Thanks in anticipation for a quick reply if possible
Regards
Paul
Old 07-03-09, 02:02 PM   #6
Buddahaid

I'm referring to this complicated install with VDMSound as what I used. http://www.subsowespac.org/sh_xp/silent_hunterxp.shtml I still think DOSBox is easier and the latest version of it http://www.dosbox.com/download.php?main=1 should work with no problems, but I'm not an expert. At least there are help resources on usage there.

As an aside, I've had the pretty colours using Command Aces of the Deep, but that's fixed going to the lower graphics setting which you have tried.

I wonder, are you using a 64bit Xp install? The spec is for 32bit systems with VDMSound.

There is also Microsoft Virtual Machine, which works something like DOSBox. It does require you to have a legal version of DOS or Win98 to install on a virtual HDD you create on your HDD. It works pretty cool, but only emulates an eight MB graphics card limiting it's gaming use.

Buddahaid

Last edited by Buddahaid; 07-03-09 at 02:19 PM.
Old 07-03-09, 03:16 PM   #7
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Quote:
...eight MB graphics card limiting it's gaming use.
???
Back in those days you'd be happy if you had 8 MB system ram !!!
Old 07-03-09, 03:58 PM   #8
Buddahaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces View Post
???
Back in those days you'd be happy if you had 8 MB system ram !!!
Sure, but it's useless for later win98 games, like SH2.

Buddahaid
Old 07-04-09, 12:25 PM   #9
paulco
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Sure, but it's useless for later win98 games, like SH2.

Buddahaid
Hi everybody out their. This is a Two Part Question so you all know how far I’ve got
As already Metioned, I found two articles on Subsowespac’s Page
1. Silent Hunter Installation and Operation under Windows XP (SP1)
2. Installing Silent Hunter in Windows XP with DOSBox
Using option 1. I have Silent Hunter Is up and running Complete with Sound, No CD and Picture with Multi coloured Screen, also Mission Blackboard is Blank.
Settings Used 640x480, 256 colours 16 Bit Also set to run Compatibility 95, Have also tried 98.
All of you know that I’ve got this far, if I could sort graphics issue I would be happy with this.
Using option 2. I have got to this Point, which is Identical to the first section above, but when I get to this point:-
“Now close out your DOS session and let's focus on getting D-Fend configured”
Fire up D-Fend, and click on the upper left toolbar icon to use the Profile Wizard. Configure the profile information box as follows:
Click "Accept all defaults" and you will return to the D-Fend desktop screen. Highlight the profile for Silent Hunter and right click it. Select "Edit Profile" and you will see the following screen:

There is no upper left tool bar to click on, but there is a menu in the second or third column that opens a profile menu which is different and does’nt have the option to “Accept all defaults”.
Getting really stuck here, help please.
Regards
paul

P.S. Did put picture of first Screen in D Fend but it has'nt gone into the Post.

Last edited by paulco; 07-04-09 at 01:45 PM.
Old 07-05-09, 04:22 AM   #10
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulco View Post
P.S. Did put picture of first Screen in D Fend but it has'nt gone into the Post.
If you mean you couldn't show a screenshot here on the forum then you must upload the image first onto the web (i.e. image shack, or webspace belonging to your internet service provider account). Then paste the link into the message.
Old 07-05-09, 07:23 AM   #11
Pisces
Silent Hunter

I just installed Sh1Commanders Edition again, but on a FreeDOS 1.0 virtual machine inside MS Virtual PC 2007:

Here is a free download of the machine:

http://en.ofgsoftware.com/web/virtua...eedos-1.0.html

It works almost flawless. It just doesn't like te beginning movies (SSI logo and intro, but neither did Dos6.22 on a different virtual machine). Black screen, but there is sound, it only stutters. But three or so presses on Escape and you're in the main menu. The small movies like leaving port and so on do work good. For ease I copied (using xcopy) the .smk files in the /BUD folder on the CD into the /BUD folder on the virtual harddrive, and edited shpath.ini to point it to the harddrive instead of the cd.
Old 07-05-09, 02:16 PM   #12
paulco
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces View Post
I just installed Sh1Commanders Edition again, but on a FreeDOS 1.0 virtual machine inside MS Virtual PC 2007:

Here is a free download of the machine:

http://en.ofgsoftware.com/web/virtua...eedos-1.0.html

It works almost flawless. It just doesn't like te beginning movies (SSI logo and intro, but neither did Dos6.22 on a different virtual machine). Black screen, but there is sound, it only stutters. But three or so presses on Escape and you're in the main menu. The small movies like leaving port and so on do work good. For ease I copied (using xcopy) the .smk files in the /BUD folder on the CD into the /BUD folder on the virtual harddrive, and edited shpath.ini to point it to the harddrive instead of the cd.
Hi, thanks. for reply.

Finally cracked it at work this afternoon.

BUT still two Issues to sort out, I have finally got it working through DOSBox 0.73 Due to a set of instructions I found on my Laptop which must have been supplied by one of you guys out their, THANKS. How I missed it I Have'nt a clue, possibly down to the fact that I have been trying to get this working with two computers. But no excuses.

First issue is the only way to start SH is to type C:\CD Dosbox, CD SILENT, SH enter which I can put up with. But I bet there's someone out their that has come up with a Desktop Shortcut.

Second Issue and more Important is that I can only Run it in a Window.
I have been through every Screen Setting I can find to make sure that they are all checked as full Screen, I cannot find anything that is checked as Windowed anywhere. Any help please with this final hurdle.

Many thanks to all for all their help.

Regards

Paul
Old 07-05-09, 09:56 PM   #13
Buddahaid

Glad you have it running! Maybe build a batch file for launching?

Open notepad, type as follows and save as yourname.bat to your desktop or wherever you like it. I'm unclear as to where your at when you type the commands to be more specific. *.bat files are for creating command sequences in DOS environments, and from my Xp desktop, it will run in a DOS window that opens. Each command must be on it's own line like the example.

cd dosbox
cd silent
sh

Buddahaid

Just ran my DOSbox 7.2 and it's configured to start Aces of the Deep on launch since it's the only game I run on it. In my case I created an desktop shortcut icon to start DOSbox witch launches into AOD. It is also windowed.

Last edited by Buddahaid; 07-05-09 at 10:07 PM.
Old 07-06-09, 03:22 AM   #14
Pisces
Silent Hunter

It is also possible to add the c:\Silent directory to the PATH variable. I'm not sure where it is stated. You would need to search and edit the config.sys and/or autoexec.bat file. (becarefull, they define the boot-up process.) DOS should then search that directory also if it can't find it in the current directory.

[EDIT]: Oh wait Dosbox might have named those files differently and have them outside of the dosbox environment. You'll have to dig through the manual to find out where to add the below exactly.

Putting
Code:
PATH %PATH%;c:\silent
on a new line should do the trick. You can test it by entering "echo %path%" at the promt (without the quotemarks, but with pressing enter ofcourse) and see if the Silent directory was added to it. Or just press "sh" in any other directory.
Old 07-06-09, 10:35 AM   #15
Buddahaid

Quote:
Glad you have it running! Maybe build a batch file for launching?

Open notepad, type as follows and save as yourname.bat to your desktop or wherever you like it. I'm unclear as to where your at when you type the commands to be more specific. *.bat files are for creating command sequences in DOS environments, and from my Xp desktop, it will run in a DOS window that opens. Each command must be on it's own line like the example.

cd dosbox
cd silent
sh

Buddahaid

Just ran my DOSbox 7.2 and it's configured to start Aces of the Deep on launch since it's the only game I run on it. In my case I created an desktop shortcut icon to start DOSbox which launches into AOD. It is also windowed.
Spelling correction. Crap wrong button. Add to ignore list.