SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-25-20, 11:42 AM   #1096
Havan_IronOak
Navy Dude

Downloads: 233
Uploads: 0
Default Sorry to always be that kid in the back of class with his hand raised.

Thanks again for the quick response!

Sorry for all the questions but they say that the dumbest question is the one that you SHOULD have asked but didn't.

Just to confirm... When the description on the SD radar says that it defaults to OFF, that means the initial default is off, right? If I use the T key to switch it ON it will automatically come back on when I surface after every dive until I hit the T key again to change the default back. I know that SD radar was active (unlike the German Metox radar) but does it attract more planes? I've heard it stated emphatically (on discussion boards) both yes and no.
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
NVidia RTX2070 16 Gig
Havan_IronOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-20, 11:59 AM   #1097
mikesn9
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 68
Default A quick, perhaps moot, question about deck gun

First, I'm running FOTRSU 1.004, was planning on finishing my career with it before upgrading.
I have a Gar class with aft deck gun.
Finished 5th patrol, (Oct '42) when entering port got conning tower upgrade.
Looking at the boat's info it shows a Bow gun, with only aft gun crew slots.
I didn't lose any crew members, so that was good.
finished off the in-port rituals, went to sea.
looking at the boat, I have 2 decks guns, 1 aft & 1 forward.

Battle stations: crew mans aft, of course. I thought that might be ok, I handle fore deck gun..nope only active is aft.
quick system info: win 7 all the right directories etc, etc.

A: is there a fix for this kind of situation in 1.1? Maybe upgrade best?
B: is there a patch for this for 1.004?

I spent the cold war under water.
mikesn9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-20, 01:30 PM   #1098
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockheedliang View Post
Believing that bigger version number is always better, I downloaded and installed this mod in place of the 1.004 version and for the benefit of not CTD I started a new career from Asiatic fleet. It all worked fine until my 3rd patrol in which I found all the enemy ports empty, Singapore, Saigon and so on....In the beginning I thought it was in line with IJN's strategic movement at that phase of the war with an all out approach....But I sailed all the way up to Kobe and Osaka but they were just empty as well......Strange isnt it? I didnt think I have come across this issue in previous versions since I am a port slaughtering guy haha.
First of all, did you de-activate v1.004, and did you empty the Save folder after activativating v1.1? The two are not compatible. It might not be noticed immediately, but you will end up with issues if this was not followed. Secondly, we need more detail, such as where you sailed from, which boat, and what date that was (approximately is often good enough).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havan_IronOak View Post
I purposely made this patrol shorter (sort of research as to the medals given out at various levels). This was before I read your post above.

Sank 5 merchant ships for 17,470 tons and when I ended the patrol I got my second Asiatic Pacific Campaign medal. But this time the crew got two medals instead of one so I'm guessing that there's a degree of randomness in crew medals. Other than being an immersive detail, do crew medals actually do anything?

Got offered a new boat this time as well.

While checking out the new boat I noticed a very minor typo in the description text for the Oerlikon 20 mm "the 20-mm preformed well..." should be "the 20-mm performed well..." if you care about such trivialities.

One last observation. I'm guessing that you're already aware of it but in case not, the text in the medals screen is off by one on the mission count. I just finished my third patrol and the text says 4th. The captain's log in my office correctly shows the three. It'd be cool if it were possible to fix this. I'm guessing that it's not & that this is a bug in the base game as I can see folks mention it in 9 year old You-Tube Let's Plays.

Again, not a big deal but I was watching a You-tube replay where the guy mentioned it so I was careful to check this time when I ended my patrol.

Still having a great time with this mod. Thanks again to all involved.
The mission count is reflecting the fact that you are in-base now, and getting ready to go on that next patrol. My belief is that the game counts from zero, such as 0, 1, 2, 3, etc., the way a computer does for something such as Arrays. Some human (may he be forgiven) came along and started counting from one... The computer assumes a correct "start" number, and does not know that he was incorrect, so it is doing what it was told to do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
the awarding of medals is related to mission success, secondary objective success, and points from tonnage - and no, the awarding of medals to your crew does absolutely nothing for them or your boat...

... this is a text file masquerading as a TSR in the game folder
C:\Ubisoft\'your install'\Data\UPCData\UPCLocalization

you can correct it if you want...just dont mess with the field names in front of the descriptive text...

... yes, you are correct. this is an UBI error that cannot be fixed by non-Ubi personnel....meaning you or me or anyone else on this side of the game.,,
I have my doubts as to whether Ubisoft can fix it... lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havan_IronOak View Post
... Just to confirm... When the description on the SD radar says that it defaults to OFF, that means the initial default is off, right? If I use the T key to switch it ON it will automatically come back on when I surface after every dive until I hit the T key again to change the default back. I know that SD radar was active (unlike the German Metox radar) but does it attract more planes? I've heard it stated emphatically (on discussion boards) both yes and no.
Sort-of... The SD is off by default until you turn it on. It stays on until turned-off, so technically, even when submerged, it is on. It's just the "water" interaction that has it "off". If you come up to radar depth and expose the antennae, it will "turn back on". The SJ is on by default, and won't turn off until you tell it to. When you submerge and then come up to radar depth, or surface, it will turn back on by default. If you want either radar off, you have tell it to turn off. This is another frustrating aspect of the game... and "yes", if you use the radar much, it is a homing beacon for the enemy, whether they have a radar detector or not. Somehow or other, even in early 1942, you will see airplanes home in on your submarine like flies on stink. Doing much radio transmitting will do you the same favor - If you wish to be "stealthy", you submerge every once in a while and do the sonar, see if you "hear" anything. Surface, turning off your radars as necessary, and continue on. Do a couple of sweeps with the radar, and turn it back off, continuing on. Lather, rinse, repeat as necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesn9 View Post
First, I'm running FOTRSU 1.004, was planning on finishing my career with it before upgrading...
No, no fix. In an attempt to rid the game of the dreaded "lost" deck gun crew, each submarine has its deck gun "glued" to the deck such that it cannot be removed, thus avoiding the loss of the gun crew... however, it does introduce a new wrinkle into the mess, which is what you and others have now seen. Since the game wants to "upgrade" your gun, when it attempts to do so, it finds the "open" slot, and puts the gun there, which results in the same "loss of deck gun crew" issue, but only for the new gun (usually). You no longer have a choice as to what happens. You cannot run a gun without a crew... sigh. Anyway, the "drawings" that you see on the F7 screen can only show what the artwork is in the folder for that information. Some of the boats do not match, and the game definitely does not "update" the info displayed... You will have to pretend you don't see that 2nd deck gun... We tried a couple of edits for v1.1, but I seriously doubt if they will help much... "Testing" for this sort of issue is more than difficult...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-20, 03:14 PM   #1099
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesn9 View Post
First, I'm running FOTRSU 1.004, was planning on finishing my career with it before upgrading.
I have a Gar class with aft deck gun.
Finished 5th patrol, (Oct '42) when entering port got conning tower upgrade.
Looking at the boat's info it shows a Bow gun, with only aft gun crew slots.
I didn't lose any crew members, so that was good.
finished off the in-port rituals, went to sea.
looking at the boat, I have 2 decks guns, 1 aft & 1 forward.

Battle stations: crew mans aft, of course. I thought that might be ok, I handle fore deck gun..nope only active is aft.
quick system info: win 7 all the right directories etc, etc.

i wrote this for some of the other Kaleuns.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/14mkit...edure.rtf/file

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-20, 09:20 PM   #1100
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38

What does the Camera mod in the Extras section do? The Support TOC won't open on my system and there's no readme in the folder. Thanks.
Mios 4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-20, 06:13 AM   #1101
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

A small problem to report Mr beanie.
The GroupName=RabaulShuffle in the 42b_Jap_Convoys mis file is missing a "[" in all the RndGroup entries.
Old 05-26-20, 07:18 AM   #1102
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
The GroupName=RabaulShuffle in the 42b_Jap_Convoys mis file is missing a "[" in all the RndGroup entries.
my apologies for eaves-dropping here, but my installation does not have that Groupname at all. are you referring to the 1.0.1g release or a different release?

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[C:\Ubisoft\FOTRSU_81\MODS]

100_FalloftheRisingSun_UltimateEdition_v1.0.1.g_EN
100a_D3D9_AntiLag
100b_EasyAOB_FotRSU
100c_NoScrollNavMap_FotRSU
100d_strategic_map_symbols

LAA enabled
Old 05-26-20, 07:53 AM   #1103
lockheedliang
Watch

Downloads: 35

Am I the only one getting the impression that this version 1.1 has more tendency to CTD when loading saves compared with earlier yet not necessarliy leaner version say 1.004?
lockheedliang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-20, 09:13 AM   #1104
Larrywb57
Tazmanian Devil

Downloads: 366
Icon1

On the Navigation Map, the star's name was 'location name in game' as to where my destination was upon leaving my home base of Pearl Harbor in a new command offered and accepted, USS Tambor (USS-198), which is a Tambor class boat. The mission was 'Patrol East China Sea off Shanghai.'

C:\...100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v.1.8
Larrywb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-20, 12:00 PM   #1105
lockheedliang
Watch

Anyone facing the same problem of Dec 1942 patrol not being able to be started due to "Error: No Primary Objectives Found"?

I tried to solve this issue by transferring to new fleets. Nothing happens
Old 05-26-20, 12:10 PM   #1106
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Am I the only one getting the impression that this version 1.1 has more tendency to CTD when loading saves compared with earlier yet not necessarliy leaner version say 1.004?
did you delete the entire SaveFolder area when you upgraded to 1.1g?
that is a table-stakes task.
the whole folder and set of subfolders must go.
the first time you launch 1.1g, SH4 will rebuild it.

LAA enabled
Old 05-26-20, 12:12 PM   #1107
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Anyone facing the same problem of Dec 1942 patrol not being able to be started due to "Error: No Primary Objectives Found"?

please provide more details:
boat type
base
date
config from JSGME (tasks submenu)

LAA enabled
Old 05-26-20, 12:24 PM   #1108
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

Quote:
my apologies for eaves-dropping here, but my installation does not have that Groupname at all. are you referring to the 1.0.1g release or a different release?

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[C:\Ubisoft\FOTRSU_81\MODS]

100_FalloftheRisingSun_UltimateEdition_v1.0.1.g_EN
100a_D3D9_AntiLag
100b_EasyAOB_FotRSU
100c_NoScrollNavMap_FotRSU
100d_strategic_map_symbols
I don't know anything about the v1.0.1.g_EN you're using KM, the GroupName=RabaulShuffle is in my 100_FalloftheRisingSun_UltimateEdition_v1.1_EN.

After looking through the SH4 folders I've noticed there are loads of files missing, I couldn't risk not re-installing everything again so even Windows is gonna be done again, that will teach me to never let a 10 year old loose on the PC again.

Windows 10 is installed again, now its time for my programs to be re-installed.

Sorry for any confusion I might have caused.
Old 05-26-20, 01:14 PM   #1109
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mios 4Me View Post
What does the Camera mod in the Extras section do? The Support TOC won't open on my system and there's no readme in the folder. Thanks.
With the mod copied to the MODS folder, if you hover over the mod name, it will describe it. There is also a "Pak_AddInMods_ReadMe.txt" for the whole package in the Pak_AddInMods folder. What it does though, is restore the beta v0.75 camera... btw, you need a pdf reader to open the files. Either that, or Windows is being very restrictive... may-haps you have a ten year old also?... :wink:

Quote:
Below, where you mention finding that the 10 y.o. helped you on your computer? Well, I had already looked and didn't find what you saw, but I did find an issue with two [RndGroup 39] sets of entries, which usually does not bode well for the 2nd group to function, so while I am setting-up for a few other additions to the mod, we'll go ahead and work on a v1.2 of the mod, which will be backwards compatible, and will correct a few things like two #39 groups... -

Quote:
See KaleunMarco's posts about the Save folder needing to be emptied!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrywb57 View Post

On the Navigation Map, the star's name was 'location name in game' as to where my destination was upon leaving my home base of Pearl Harbor in a new command offered and accepted, USS Tambor (USS-198), which is a Tambor class boat. The mission was 'Patrol East China Sea off Shanghai.'

This is what happens when a person fails to remove the "default" text from a MapLocation... sigh... Corrected, and for the next release... - Thanks for the heads-up!

Quote:

Quote:
did you delete the entire SaveFolder area when you upgraded to 1.1g?
that is a table-stakes task.
the whole folder and set of subfolders must go.
the first time you launch 1.1g, SH4 will rebuild it.
- Also, be sure that you have something like the LAA set on the SH4.exe file correctly, so that Windows does identify the game as being Large Address Aware...
Quote:
boat type
base
date
~and~
Definitely need details, or we cannot begin to try to recreate or trace what may be happening.

Quote:
I don't know anything about the v1.0.1.g_EN you're using KM, the GroupName=RabaulShuffle is in my 100_FalloftheRisingSun_UltimateEdition_v1.1_EN.

After looking through the SH4 folders I've noticed there are loads of files missing, I couldn't risk not re-installing everything again so even Windows is gonna be done again, that will teach me to never let a 10 year old loose on the PC again.

Windows 10 is installed again, now its time for my programs to be re-installed.

Sorry for any confusion I might have caused.
You can tell the 10 year old though, that thanks to their "editing" of your files, we did find an issue with that 42b_Jap_Convoys.mis file...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-20, 01:52 PM   #1110
lockheedliang
Watch

Quote:
boat type
base
date
Boat: USS Triton Tambor class
Base: The Southwest Austrialian one for the Asiatic fleet. (Same error after I transfer to Midway and Pearl Harbor fleet)
Date: Dec 13 1942 (first mission after the intro movie about taking over Guadacanal)
JSGME: Only FOTRS 1.1 base mod was enactivated and no sub-mob involved