SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-21-20, 07:13 AM   #1066
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
This mod has "R" set for radar depth. Dependent upon the boat, that might 35 foot, or it might be 42, but it is definitely below the surface. "Decks Awash" is not much help in Silent Hunter games, but you can use the keyboard keys to get set to a similar depth between the <A> key (Maintain Depth), <S> key (Surface) and <D> key (Dive). If it was SH5, you could use the manual planes control, but alas, not. Decks awash for each boat is different, just like periscope and radar depth are, so some experimenting is required. CO2 will continue to build in your boat though, in spite of the conn hatch being open. Just another short-coming of the game.
If you are careful with your mouse pointer, you can set the depth to a decks awash level, which for most boats will be 25-27'. Any deeper and your hatches will close and CO2 will begin to accumulate. Be aware that running at decks awash has a negative effect on speed, and your visibility to others may increase due to the higher bow/conning tower waves generated. If I am going to be stationary for a time waiting for a target to appear, I will often set the depth to 26-27'. If a plane approaches the dive time is considerably reduced but I can't swear that it affects the enemies ability to see you if they could when you were fully surfaced. I don't take the chance, and dive immediately on detecting planes.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-20, 10:06 AM   #1067
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Lutjens View Post
New FOTRS patrol log if you want to subscribe and follow along!

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...=1#post2671928
Very nice Admiral Lutjens! Thanks! Just so you know, the "New Construction" no longer functions as intended. The Gato boats only get one, maybe two "trials", while the Balao usually gets none. We'll have to re-do those for the next release, and will most likely change the menu choices a bit also, such that you can take any boat out for Sea Trials. The idea being that the S-Boats were re-built and repaired at San Diego, as well as San Francisco, and we are going to attempt to do that for all of the boat classes. An S-Boat taking off from San Diego in late 1942 will have a 3" deck gun, and be assigned one of two or three places from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
If you are careful with your mouse pointer, you can set the depth to a decks awash level, which for most boats will be 25-27'. Any deeper and your hatches will close and CO2 will begin to accumulate. Be aware that running at decks awash has a negative effect on speed, and your visibility to others may increase due to the higher bow/conning tower waves generated. If I am going to be stationary for a time waiting for a target to appear, I will often set the depth to 26-27'. If a plane approaches the dive time is considerably reduced but I can't swear that it affects the enemies ability to see you if they could when you were fully surfaced. I don't take the chance, and dive immediately on detecting planes.
The main part of either technique to attain your proper "decks awash" depth is that each time you change to go deeper, you get the dive audio sequence. Each time you go to rise a bit, you get the surface sequence... lol - Our testing last year for whether decks awash did the player any good were inconclusive. My feeling, looking back through what s7rikeback just accomplished by using Hebe Vollmaus's mySH3-Tool and correcting the last (we hope) of the errors in the Loadouts, is that "it depends". It does not seem to matter if you are facing, or are broadside to an airplane, but it does seem to matter what the airplane's "aob" is, and if the loadout is truly functional. If the loadout is incorrect, then the plane does not attack, and may actually contribute to data errors that then affect all aspects of the game... Myself, I don't trust decks awash to help "hide" me either. I have been spotted doing 2 knots while sneaking into a convoy on the darkest of dark nights, with the nearest ship still over 3 nautical miles away. That's when it becomes a liability, in that you can't toot scoot and boogie to get away, since you are partially submerged and going slow. So it is dive, go deep, go quiet, change direction and hope for the best, and that if you survive, that you can catch-up with them again...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-20, 05:47 PM   #1068
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO Re: Decks awash...

A crying shame, that they (Ubi.. looking pointedly at y'all )

failed to model in decks awash in any of the earlier releases of SH, until they released SH5. Know that running decks awash was a viable option to improve being near to invisible as possible,made for being able to dive & hide a lot faster then running full out surfaced.

So, it begs the question as to... ''Why the heck, did it take them until SH5 to model it in.?"

I know.. I know.. 1 of those things that we'll likely never know the answer to...

Still is a shame...
Old 05-21-20, 07:57 PM   #1069
Admiral Lutjens
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 73

I found a couple of gems snooping around at midway

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...=1#post2671928
Admiral Lutjens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-20, 09:05 PM   #1070
razark
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
So, it begs the question as to... ''Why the heck, did it take them until SH5 to model it in.?"
Somewhere, back when SH4 was new, there is a thread of all the things that used to be in WWII subsims that were missing for SH4.

The question of "Why isn't <this> in SH4?!?" is an old one.
Old 05-22-20, 01:16 AM   #1071
Michael Wood
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 314

Quote:
Originally Posted by razark View Post
Somewhere, back when SH4 was new, there is a thread of all the things that used to be in WWII subsims that were missing for SH4.

In SH4, you can run silent, which reduces repair time and interrupts torpedo reload. And, you can run silent for days on end, until the air runs out.

In some sub game a ways back, running silent turned off the bilge pump and slowly the submarine fills with water and it becomes difficult to maintain depth. Surprised it was not in SH4.
Michael Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-20, 04:04 AM   #1072
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

SHO Re: Silent running...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Wood View Post
In SH4, you can run silent, which reduces repair time and interrupts torpedo reload. And, you can run silent for days on end, until the air runs out.

In some sub game a ways back, running silent turned off the bilge pump and slowly the submarine fills with water and it becomes difficult to maintain depth. Surprised it was not in SH4.
Don't know about running silent, reducing repair times.. know that running silent, stops all repairs underway... have had to make a decision... keep silent & sink to doom or go from being silent & live to fight another day.. hopefully if I didn't have the sub sunk from underneath me...

Seem to recall there being a mod created for SH (can't remember the exact version, meaning 3, 4 or 5...) for just such a situation, of depth control that unless you were going a certain speed, underwater.. then the sub would slowly settle deeper as it traveled or in some cases, sat silent. Would love to know what that mod was & if not for SH4, if there could be 1 made (or converted) for SH4, that could be used for the OM: Enhanced & FotRS-U-EN mega mods.
Old 05-22-20, 04:07 AM   #1073
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

SHO Re: Decks awash...

Quote:
Originally Posted by razark View Post

The question of "Why isn't <this> in SH4?!?" is an old one.
That doesn't surprise me, that there has been questions asked about that, razark... much less a thread notating all the things that were lacking in SH4 after it was initially released, either.
Old 05-22-20, 10:09 AM   #1074
kcoun
Watch

Downloads: 766

Just downloaded the mod and I'm starring at everyone's belt buckle lol ... how do I grow ?
kcoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-20, 10:15 AM   #1075
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
Don't know about running silent, reducing repair times.. know that running silent, stops all repairs underway... have had to make a decision... keep silent & sink to doom or go from being silent & live to fight another day.. hopefully if I didn't have the sub sunk from underneath me...

Seem to recall there being a mod created for SH (can't remember the exact version, meaning 3, 4 or 5...) for just such a situation, of depth control that unless you were going a certain speed, underwater.. then the sub would slowly settle deeper as it traveled or in some cases, sat silent. Would love to know what that mod was & if not for SH4, if there could be 1 made (or converted) for SH4, that could be used for the OM: Enhanced & FotRS-U-EN mega mods.
i do not think that feature is a mod. not sure those features are mod-able.
as you have described, i have been in the same situation(s), as Kaleuns before me (us) have done, where i had to decide at what depth and speed to resume damage control and increase speed in order to stay above Davy Jones' locker.
who said they wanted to be immersed? can't get more immersed than this situation.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-20, 02:10 PM   #1076
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

SHO Re: Silent running (expanded response)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
i do not think that feature is a mod. not sure those features are mod-able.
as you have described, i have been in the same situation(s), as Kaleuns before me (us) have done, where i had to decide at what depth and speed to resume damage control and increase speed in order to stay above Davy Jones' locker.
who said they wanted to be immersed? can't get more immersed than this situation.
KaleunMarco,

Mod in question, I was commenting about was in regards to what Michael said in post #1071, before the post you quoted from Me, right after that.

Was in regards to this part of Michael's post He made "In some sub game a ways back, running silent turned off the bilge pump and slowly the submarine fills with water and it becomes difficult to maintain depth. Surprised it was not in SH4."

I seem to recall seeing... again.. that there was a mod made that did simulate that happening but.. can't recall the name of it or a means to hunt said mod down to find out what version of SH it was for (meaning if it was for SH3, SH4 by chance.. or SH5.... and wondering if it was NOT for SH4, if it would be possible to reworked so as to make it to be usable in SH4 v1.4/v1.5 compatible for either or versions of SH4 & not only that, but be usable in OM:Enhanced & FotRS-U-EN v1.1 mega mods.)

Hopefully this has cleared up any misunderstanding from My mentioning it the 1st go around if that was the case for you, then I apologize... as that was not My intentions... sometimes My brain runs fast & far ahead of My fingers... & sometimes I catch when I err and other times, I miss it by a country mile that I did so.

Mad Mardigan
Old 05-23-20, 05:20 AM   #1077
Para92
Swabbie

Downloads: 51

can anyone bring out a german patch? So at least that the text is German

Last edited by Para92; 05-23-20 at 06:31 AM.
Para92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-20, 06:52 AM   #1078
Para92
Swabbie

I have now tried 2 times to start a mission after the loading bar comes a message "no mission in Difficult" after that the game has ended,it comes with every store if you want to spawn in the harbor. no matter what level of difficulty
Old 05-23-20, 07:28 AM   #1079
Para92
Swabbie

Default Problem

The problem only comes with career mode. either after loading, a black screen with the typical mouse pointer or the 2 messages appears
hier sind Screenshots
https://ibb.co/y4HyfKG
https://ibb.co/z5zQcwz
Old 05-23-20, 08:25 AM   #1080
jldjs
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Para92 View Post
The problem only comes with career mode. either after loading, a black screen with the typical mouse pointer or the 2 messages appears
hier sind Screenshots
https://ibb.co/y4HyfKG
https://ibb.co/z5zQcwz
Here’s the good news, this mod runs better than every previous version.
So, did you follow ALL of the recommendations for installing this mod?