SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-03-20, 01:02 AM   #481
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491
Uploads: 0

SHO Re: Computer crash blues...???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi View Post
This is the damn window nothing could break:

Hey Fifi... just wanted to know did you ever get a resolution to the troubles you were having with getting SH4 to run on the more.. up to date computer, the 1 running Windows 10.?

Am hoping you were able to get that Gordian knot with your computer sorted out, so any update on that front.?

Mad Mardigan

Old 06-03-20, 01:47 AM   #482
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 452

No, not solved. It’s a deep computer issue that i can’t repair myself unfortunately...
My crappy HP Omen has more than this trouble. I have the blue screen at start saying windows uncorrectable error, then has to restart each time...
My repair shop changed for a new win 10 install (after it completely locked up) but still the blue screen at start!...and now this red window for SH4...
They told me they can’t solve it, could be a mother board issue as the SSD and normal drive successfully tested...
And as i don’t want to buy new MB actually, nor new computer, it’s kind of stuck
Fifi is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-20, 02:10 AM   #483
Levyathan89
Soundman

Downloads: 49

Quote:
Again nice video

To answer a question you ask in this video, there is an AOBF wheel in attack periscope view, as well as a stadimeter...you see the red button (when you lock target) top left periscope reticule, you have to click it. At 12mn 13s you see it highlighted

Keep the good work with videos
Thanks, Fifi

I've found the Stadimeter, but since it doesn't send the range to TDC when clicking it (and there is no notepad like in SH3 either), I don't know what to do with it, to be honest (except using it to determine the optical length of the mast more precisely).
Levyathan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-20, 02:44 AM   #484
Fifi
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levyathan89 View Post
Thanks, Fifi

I've found the Stadimeter, but since it doesn't send the range to TDC when clicking it (and there is no notepad like in SH3 either), I don't know what to do with it, to be honest (except using it to determine the optical length of the mast more precisely).
There is a documentation somewhere made by Karamazov (the guy who build the TDC)
Don’t recall where though...might be in original OM Mod documentation, and maybe i have added it to DW documentation? I’m sure you’ll find it

Little tips:
- when ship is identified by your weapon officer, you see the name (often bunch of letters) Down the periscope reticule. Just click the name and the ID book will open at the right page.

- when big waves, prefer setting low depth for torpedoes (even magnetic) other wise you could miss the bottom hull by few meters, the ship moving up and down.

- best way to get target speed remain via the U-Jagd according to ship length. Keep in mind some ships does not keep steady speed, may vary more or less 1 Knot depending sea state.

- best way to get Perfect AOB is to lock your 90° angle (right or left) perpendicularly to ship course, then move back the view to target...read the AOB dial!

- Distance to target will not be 100% accurate in any way in Dark Water (obtainable with AOBF/stadimeter) because it was featured by Lurker to match reality...

Gute Jagd, and keep the good videos!
Old 06-03-20, 03:13 AM   #485
Levyathan89
Soundman

Downloads: 49

Quote:
There is a documentation somewhere made by Karamazov (the guy who build the TDC)
Don’t recall where though...might be in original OM Mod documentation, and maybe i have added it to DW documentation? I’m sure you’ll find it

Little tips:
- when ship is identified by your weapon officer, you see the name (often bunch of letters) Down the periscope reticule. Just click the name and the ID book will open at the right page.

- when big waves, prefer setting low depth for torpedoes (even magnetic) other wise you could miss the bottom hull by few meters, the ship moving up and down.

- best way to get target speed remain via the U-Jagd according to ship length. Keep in mind some ships does not keep steady speed, may vary more or less 1 Knot depending sea state.

- best way to get Perfect AOB is to lock your 90° angle (right or left) perpendicularly to ship course, then move back the view to target...read the AOB dial!

- Distance to target will not be 100% accurate in any way in Dark Water (obtainable with AOBF/stadimeter) because it was featured by Lurker to match reality...

Gute Jagd, and keep the good videos!
Thank you for these tips, especially the one about the ship manual is really helpful
Levyathan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-20, 03:40 AM   #486
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

wolf_howl15 Re: Computer crash blues...???

Quote:
No, not solved. It’s a deep computer issue that i can’t repair myself unfortunately...
My crappy HP Omen has more than this trouble. I have the blue screen at start saying windows uncorrectable error, then has to restart each time...
My repair shop changed for a new win 10 install (after it completely locked up) but still the blue screen at start!...and now this red window for SH4...
They told me they can’t solve it, could be a mother board issue as the SSD and normal drive successfully tested...
And as i don’t want to buy new MB actually, nor new computer, it’s kind of stuck

Ooouucchhh.!

Dude... I feel your pain on that. Had a HP/Compaq Presario CQ (57 I think or was that 257, can't remember right off, that was a bit ago...Laptop, by the way), that gave Me, all sorts of fits. Had the Op system crap out & had to be reinstalled. Battery issues out the butt... then the monitor started having discoloration creep across the screen to the point I ended up buying a TV that could double as a monitor... that was the only bright spot in the whole mess, I got an Emerson 50 incher, which makes for great movie/TV watching when I'm NOT gaming about.. then had that computer crap out on Me & bricked. That was the final straw for Me. I took a sledge hammer to the dang thing then went out & bought Myself another computer a Dell Optiplex 980 desktop.

All that occurred, while the dang thing was still under warranty, up until the thing bricked.. just prior to it doing that, the warranty period ended... figures. Had the bloody thing more time being worked on by their idiot tech's more time than i was actually able to use the dang thing.

When the warranty ran out & it bricked, was the last straw for Me... I swore I'd never buy another HP/Compaq product ever again.. the entire time, until the warranty expired, was a constant battle with the company for them to fix the dang thing... an until it bricked, I ''WAS'' a loyal customer of theirs.. the operative word was, ''WAS''. Even told the head honcho I was done ever buying another product from them.

So.. as I said, I do feel your pain.
Old 06-03-20, 05:26 AM   #487
Fifi
Navy Seal

Ok, did the last thing i could do, updating my HP Omen bios...
Seems the blue screen at start is gone actually, have to try again SH4 install
Finger crossed, but have some doubts
Old 06-03-20, 07:51 AM   #488
Fifi
Navy Seal

No more blue screen at start for sure (that’s a good thing) but still can’t launch SH4... this is completely crazy!!
Old 06-03-20, 07:59 AM   #489
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

SHO Re: question...

Quote:
No more blue screen at start for sure (that’s a good thing) but still can’t launch SH4... this is completely crazy!!

Just out of curiosity... is it still under warranty, by chance.?

If so contact the manufacturer & demand a replacement, same kind or 1 comparable to it, not only in type it is but price wise, as well.
Old 06-03-20, 08:44 AM   #490
Fifi
Navy Seal

SOLVED!!!

Finally! After BIOS update, disabled UAC in registry, checked high PPI ——> game finally started
(Don’t know why it didn’t before though...might be the BIOS update)
Old 06-03-20, 09:31 AM   #491
Fifi
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levyathan89 View Post
Thank you for these tips, especially the one about the ship manual is really helpful
I took the permission to put your first video on my first post here, hope you don’t mind
Old 06-03-20, 10:08 AM   #492
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
SOLVED!!!

Finally! After BIOS update, disabled UAC in registry, checked high PPI ——> game finally started
YES!

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-20, 10:10 AM   #493
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Downloads: 527
Uploads: 5

YAY!

I'm not very active on the forums anymore. If you have a question, please DM me and I'll respond ASAP!
Texas Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-20, 12:20 PM   #494
lederhosen
Planesman

Downloads: 422

WHEW....good news
Old 06-03-20, 06:20 PM   #495
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

SHO Re: Congrats...

Quote:
SOLVED!!!

Congrats... grand news indeed. Glad you finally got resolution to this computerized Jurassic morass.

Mad Mardigan