SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-18-19, 11:51 AM   #1
StimpsonJCat
Watch

Downloads: 42
Uploads: 0
Default Blind watch crew? Modding for more skill points?

Hello all,

I'm playing my first career in SH5 (TWOS) and i'm new to the entire series. I'm on Coastal Waters now on my third patrol area toward the northern part of the coast. I've got a save game that I made after I finished the second patrol area and before I entered the third patrol area. I've had to reload numerous times because, frankly, I suck at the game right now.

Last night i started patrolling that third area yet again. I was pretty early on into the 24hr patrol time (it was the middle of the night) and i did a dive to scan for audio contacts. I heard a merchant, moving slow, closing, long distance. I surface the boat and started heading in that general direction with engines set to slow. I switched to the map view and sped up the game time to 16 (if i remember correctly) thinking my watch crew would let me know when/if they spotted the ship. After a relatively short amount of game time i hear the horrible sound of metal scraping on metal. I quickly jump out of map view and into the conning tower and see a medium sized freighter right next to my u-boat, within a few feet! I sustained no damage (why? i'm not sure) and was able to sink the ship with my deck gun but i don't know how this situation could have happened. Is this an example of a buggy game or are my watch crew all legally blind?

I feel like the watch crew are very hit and miss when spotting contacts on the surface and this was the worst incident yet. I understand that as I acquire more skill points and hand them out to the watch officer they should get better but this is ridiculous. Should i expect more of this?

If i wanted to edit the game to give myself a handful of skill points just to start how do i do that? I know i've seen some instructions on how to do that but now I'm having trouble finding it again.

on a somewhat related note. It doesn't seem like the game is always dropping to TC1 when contacts are spotted. I've switched the TC1 contact setting to various speeds (32, 64) and it seems to drop the game to TC8 instead of TC1 when a contact is spotted. Needless to say this can be a disasters when an aircraft or warship is in the vicinity.

I feel like I should just reinstall the game and start a new career to see if these bugs can be fixed.
StimpsonJCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-19, 02:02 PM   #2
NIDGE2112
Mate

Downloads: 566
Uploads: 6

Try this

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...73&postcount=2
NIDGE2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-19, 03:53 PM   #3
StimpsonJCat
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIDGE2112 View Post

Thank you! I knew i saw that somewhere.

Any idea why my crew missed a big ship right in front of their faces?
Old 12-19-19, 02:04 AM   #4
Angelis
A-ganger

Downloads: 143

Maybe you‘ve been in Travel Mode.
Angelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-19, 01:19 PM   #5
StimpsonJCat
Watch

I made sure that was turned off. Anyway, i loaded up the save again and completed the patrol and assigned my warded crew point to the watch officer. I might give myself some more points to work with once i dock again.