SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-07-19, 10:23 AM   #196
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3214
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedo View Post
Hi all!
I made a small MOD with the radio and the gramophone without a map and conversion table to have a cleaner display and obviously the icons can be dragged to any position.
I recommend activating the MOD with JSGME and I hope it can be useful to someone.

Torpedo

Many thanks, Torpedo! I adopted it.

But...What about your GUI? I like your yellow and green buttons...My old eyes see better those buttons. Could you upload it?

Also, I would to know your graphics settings. I have a really nice image with my settings, but I note your images are more crispy. Do you use Nvidia Inspector?

Many thanks and great job!

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-19, 10:54 AM   #197
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo View Post
Torpedo

Many thanks, Torpedo! I adopted it.

But...What about your GUI? I like your yellow and green buttons...My old eyes see better those buttons. Could you upload it?

Also, I would to know your graphics settings. I have a really nice image with my settings, but I note your images are more crispy. Do you use Nvidia Inspector?

Many thanks and great job!

Fitzcarraldo
He might use SweetFX to give this rendering....
Perso, the colors are too much saturated for my taste.
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-19, 01:15 PM   #198
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi View Post
He might use SweetFX to give this rendering....
Perso, the colors are too much saturated for my taste.
I tried with Reshade and obtained good results.

Best regards.

Firzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
Old 12-07-19, 06:36 PM   #199
Torpedo
Torpedoman

Downloads: 1054

@Fifi
Thanks Fifi for your comment!
I didn't use SweetFX for rendering. I know it, but here in SH4 I wouldn't have used it.
I use Paint.net for dds files which has many functions to customize graphic files.
You're right: the colors are too much satured but I'm still making different versions to find the one I prefer.
However I like all the comments to improve what I would like to change!

@Fitzcarraldo
Thanks Fitz for your comments!
Of course I can upload the GUI and Dials that I modified and found in SCAF (Ship_Centered_Accuracy_Fix 1.5 for SH4 Addon, Patched 1.5 March 2009) created by CapnScurvy to which all my credits go.
But I must first obtain permission from CapnScurvy for the upload, even though many years have passed since the creation of SCAF but he has all the rights.
I modified Gui and Dials (which are in SCAF) with Paint.net in brightness and contrast and with Effects> Photo> Enhance sharpness.
For the sharpness in SH4 I have deactivated Full Scene Glare in Graphic Settings, this is very important, however here is the screenshoot of my Graphic Settings:

Torpedo
Torpedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-19, 08:26 PM   #200
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedo View Post
@Fifi

@Fitzcarraldo
Thanks Fitz for your comments!
Of course I can upload the GUI and Dials that I modified and found in SCAF (Ship_Centered_Accuracy_Fix 1.5 for SH4 Addon, Patched 1.5 March 2009) created by CapnScurvy to which all my credits go.
But I must first obtain permission from CapnScurvy for the upload, even though many years have passed since the creation of SCAF but he has all the rights.
I modified Gui and Dials (which are in SCAF) with Paint.net in brightness and contrast and with Effects> Photo> Enhance sharpness.
For the sharpness in SH4 I have deactivated Full Scene Glare in Graphic Settings, this is very important, however here is the screenshoot of my Graphic Settings:

Torpedo
Many thanks! I hope to see your GUI for download in the near future.

Fitzcarraldo

Old 12-08-19, 05:40 PM   #201
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Try it without the "Volumetric Fog" also, Torpedo, and see if it improves any. That really messes with my video card and display...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-19, 07:44 AM   #202
captcrane
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 184
Default Tone Sinking

Hope it's not too late but I can confirm a sinking of a Heavy Cruiser Tone Class.

Feb 6 1942 Long 116 08' E Lat 7 54' S It took 7 fish to sink. Only hiccup was there was so much fire on the Tone it did put my Graphics card to the test.

But no ctd
captcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-19, 07:32 AM   #203
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default CTDs after a G4W Betty attack

I've experienced 3 CTDs after aircraft attacks in 3 different subs, in 3 vastly different patrol areas, from December 1941 through May 1943 and the only common factor is its with a Japanese Betty aircraft, all 3 times.

Aircraft (verified as a Betty) approaches as it is seen on air radar. Symbol turns red when it comes into visual distance. It makes a sweeping turn away as if leaving and then circles back to make a bee line for the sub. I crashed dive when I saw it circle back. Then watched it on magnified exterior view as it flew at low level toward the diving sub. Once it flew over and apparently gave up, I watched it fly off into the distance with the magnified external view. When it got far away, maybe out of visual contact, the game crashed. Note: previously, I've watched the aircraft fly away on the Nav Map and then game crashes.

All three CTDs were with a Betty as it flew away off into the distance. This is the only common factor. I've waited quite awhile for this third crash before making a post. I've made it a point to try to be seen by enemy aircraft to duplicate this scenario; no other enemy plane seems to make the game crash. I also make it a point to save game frequently!

I hope this is helpful.
Old 12-12-19, 08:18 AM   #204
propbeanie

Is this a green Betty? Does it have a bomb or torpedo load-out? We had the issue fixed, and it looks like it may have snuck back it. At what range are airplanes seeing your submarine. You can tell on some approaches, from where a plane will drastically alter course toward your submarine... ?? I was doing quite a bit of testing the last few days on those #$%@#@$% early Marshalls missions, and it finally dawned on me that the planes are not responding appropriately to a submarine traveling on the surface... and here, I thought it was my skill as a skipper...

Old 12-12-19, 09:55 AM   #205
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Is this a green Betty? Does it have a bomb or torpedo load-out? We had the issue fixed, and it looks like it may have snuck back it. At what range are airplanes seeing your submarine. You can tell on some approaches, from where a plane will drastically alter course toward your submarine... ??
Today's CTD was my 1st visual sighting with the external camera. The other 2 CTDs flight paths were only seen on the Nav Map. I do not know the color of the Betty's nor their bomb/torpedo load.

The Betty's approach is the same; they come into visual sighting range and then head for the sub to attack. Once they complete their attack, they fly away and the CTD only happens when they seem to exceed visual range as they retreat.

The 1st & 2nd CTD were several weeks ago, shortly after the new game was released. So, I was quite surprised to see it happen again today.
Old 12-12-19, 11:16 AM   #206
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Zelda View Post
Today's CTD was my 1st visual sighting with the external camera. The other 2 CTDs flight paths were only seen on the Nav Map. I do not know the color of the Betty's nor their bomb/torpedo load.

The Betty's approach is the same; they come into visual sighting range and then head for the sub to attack. Once they complete their attack, they fly away and the CTD only happens when they seem to exceed visual range as they retreat.

The 1st & 2nd CTD were several weeks ago, shortly after the new game was released. So, I was quite surprised to see it happen again today.
Do you hear bombs exploding and have you checked your sonar right after to listen for fish. If not remember next time.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-19, 11:40 AM   #207
propbeanie

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc4ulfate View Post
Do you hear bombs exploding and have you checked your sonar right after to listen for fish. If not remember next time.
merc is getting at maybe you've had a torpedo shot at you by a Betty. They were multi-purpose planes, especially used in FotRSU as Torpedo Bomber, Dive Bomber, Level Bomber, ASW with depth charges, and Suicide Baka Bomber, with the guided Baka carried as its payload, with all of the "Bomber" designations having multiple LoadOuts also. We are going through the Betty planes again for a possible LoadOut incompatibility, but have not completed that. merc4ulfate was the previous player encountering trouble with the Betty back in the v0.90 run, and we were reasonably certain we had that issue licked with LoadOut updates, but there might still be something in the campaign files that is not quite right, especially in light of your further description, which does not make it sound like the previous issue, since we were getting the CTD much earlier.

Just to be redundant and play the part of Mr. Obvious, but double-check your LAA activation of the SH4.exe file. Make certain that it is indeed enabled. If you did not start the current version of the mod with an emptying of the Save folder, you will have issues similar to this, due to cross-contamination, especially of the Betty planes, and a few others. Activating a mod will NOT overwrite any file that exists in the Save folder, resulting in a partial mod activation. If you shell-out to Windows any, whether with an accidental clicking on a blank area of the Windows desktop (entirely too easy to do with a dual-monitor set-up ), or if you use the <Windows> key combinations, or <Alt><Tab> or <Ctrl><Tab>, no matter if the game is paused or not, you will have issues with the game, and those issues may not show up right after the occurrence, but it might be days later, after several Saves. This is a reminder to everyone, and these do not apply to just FotRSU, but to every version of the game, whether modded or not.

This is not to say you did that, just a reminder to everyone. We are still treating this as an issue, and are looking further into it, due to past, similar issues...

Old 12-12-19, 12:12 PM   #208
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Betty and CTDs

I did not see or hear anything that made me think the Betty dropped a bomb or torpedo. I was already at a depth of 150+ feet by the time the Betty flew over my diving sub's position. However, maybe I got hit with a torpedo that resulted in a CTD??

I totally replaced the old Save Folder before installing the current FotRS UE mod. I never go to my desk top without totally signing out; I never use an Alt Tab combo you described.

I have a save not to far before the CTD; we might see if the Betty reappears?

I hope you come up with a solution. Thanks for your rapid response.
Old 12-12-19, 04:26 PM   #209
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default G4M Betty & CTD possible update

For Propbeanie,

I continued west at 9:30am on March 12, 1943 in the Solomon Sea, SW of Bogainville at approx. 154 degrees East & 7 degrees South when I again was attacked by a Betty.

Did not attempt to evade her course to make sure she attacked. At 6,000 yards she made a 360 degree circular maneuver and headed directly for me. Time to crash dive to 250 feet.

Located the Betty with the exterior event camera and actually saw her throw out a cylinder object which had to be a torpedo. Lost visual as she flew by and could not find her again with the camera.

As we dove to 250 feet, I could her 2 distinct high pitched whinny sounds that I assume were tracking torpedoes. Proceeded at top speed, wanting to get hit to see if there would be a CTD. Never got hit but for approx. 20 minutes continued hearing the high pitched sounds at various locations on the hydrophone dial. Then the sounds stopped and we surfaced.

It's my humble opinion that the Betty's torpedo may cause a CTD when it hunts and hits a target as the Betty flies off. I once tried (no criticism intended) a mod called "Webster’s Improved US Torpedo v2 and v3" where the Mark 10 torpedo caused a CDT when it hit a target, every time. All the other torpedoes worked great.

Just a thought, hope this is helpful.
Old 12-12-19, 07:11 PM   #210
propbeanie

Quote:
For Propbeanie,

I continued west at 9:30am on March 12, 1943 in the Solomon Sea, SW of Bogainville at approx. 154 degrees East & 7 degrees South when I again was attacked by a Betty.

Did not attempt to evade her course to make sure she attacked. At 6,000 yards she made a 360 degree circular maneuver and headed directly for me. Time to crash dive to 250 feet.

Located the Betty with the exterior event camera and actually saw her throw out a cylinder object which had to be a torpedo. Lost visual as she flew by and could not find her again with the camera.

As we dove to 250 feet, I could her 2 distinct high pitched whinny sounds that I assume were tracking torpedoes. Proceeded at top speed, wanting to get hit to see if there would be a CTD. Never got hit but for approx. 20 minutes continued hearing the high pitched sounds at various locations on the hydrophone dial. Then the sounds stopped and we surfaced.

It's my humble opinion that the Betty's torpedo may cause a CTD when it hunts and hits a target as the Betty flies off. I once tried (no criticism intended) a mod called "Webster’s Improved US Torpedo v2 and v3" where the Mark 10 torpedo caused a CDT when it hit a target, every time. All the other torpedoes worked great.

Just a thought, hope this is helpful.
The IJN torpedoes do not hunt, so I don't know what you heard - btw, the thing to do if you are ever dealing with WWII "hunter" torpedoes, you want to go quiet with an immediate reduction to 1 knot and Silent Running, drop your depth to the test line, and try to be "facing" it / them. "Noise" is what the torps follow. Two cylinders dropped would be the Depth Charges. They are elongated to be carry-able under the wing of the Betty. That last Betty was the "G4M Betty Divebomber". I am currently running through a Test Mission, and I have no conclusive answers just yet, other than CapnScurvy's "Day of Infamy" Betty Baka has be cleared and is innocent of any wrong-doings - but that's not to say that they are innocent... Sank my submarine on one try in each of three test missions... wowser!

There are issues with one of the Zero fighters also. When I made my Test Mission, I put the four Betty models in it, the Pete and the three zero models in. I was removing one plane at a time, and still had CTDs on the exit from the mission and game when I went back to the desktop, so I finally wised-up and now I'm running them one plane at a time, nothing else other than my sub... - some folks just have to learn the hard way... - thanks for the info though!