SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-23-21, 02:56 PM   #1
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Default Sunday December 7 1941 in TMO (screenshots)

Have been working on the pre war campaign for TMO. Career will start in June 1941. As most are aware tensions between US and Japan were mounting through the summer in spite of ongoing peace talks. Many radio messages have been added June- November 1941, with some new ones added for the opening of the war, to demonstrate this. Some Japanese units player may encounter will be hostile and attack, some may not. Basically, this allows player time to get the crew some experience and get the immersive feel of going from peace time to war time.

I have worked to include a representation (within bound of sim) of the Pearl Harbor attack. Both waves are present, roughly 110 aircraft in two waves attack . The sinking of a Midget sub by USS Ward is present. I observed Ward firing on the with guns and dropping depth charges when close. I closed in and finished the midget sub off with two direct hits from 3 inch deck gun, sinking it. I am working on getting the midget sub to fire torpedoes as well, work in progress.

Still making some final tweaks to the attack and writing the pre war orders, but figured would share some screenshots of last attack as it was pretty devastating and somewhat in line with history. The Arizona even went up in a massive fireball.

I removed the wrecks from the .loc file and now wrecks will show up after Dec 7 as should. The Nevada will get underway during the attack and ground herself on hospital point(player has to not be in harbor or she won't spawn, but can use free cam to watch. Interesting and immersive, yet actually a bit somber when sailing back into the harbor on Dec 8 from patrol, seeing the wrecks and the Nevada aground. If not in harbor for attack to return. I do wish.

Anyways, here are some screen shots. Not best quality as I took those while testing on lower graphics settings. When tested at higher settings normally play on patrol, performance was fine. No lag no CTD, which was always a problem modders ran into when trying to add the PH attack even on high end rigs. Basically, I timed the groups within the waves to arrive a few minutes apart, seems to not overwhelm sim and work well. Of course, will depend on individual machine.

Thedarkwraiths fire mod, which allows fire to damage ships worked great in this scenario.

USS Arizona exploding after bomb hits.

USS Arizona exploding after bomb hits. Sunk soon after.

USS Arizona and Vestal burning

USS Pennsylvania (in spot where drydock was located and the BB Pen was on Dec 7)

USS California hit, explosion.

USS Helena hit

View of battleship row burning from the submarine base.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-21, 08:53 PM   #2
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491
Uploads: 0

radar

Am so, looking forward to that... have to ask, with the Nevada & her being grounded... am hoping that the location in sim/game, will be historical... which was Hospital Point, around 160-170 degrees off the southern most point of Ford Island, on the left side of the channel, heading out of port... about 270 degrees from the main Hospital building there... hence, where the point, gets its name from.

I know not all others do what I do... I actually start from a docked position, just like they did... NO worm hole, warp jumping... but, again.... that's just Me.

M. M.
Old 11-24-21, 11:31 AM   #3
Ludwig van Hursh
A-ganger

Downloads: 65

Very cool stuff!

If you can get the midgets to work, will you be able to add the USS Monaghan's attack of one in the harbor itself?
Old 11-24-21, 12:23 PM   #4
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludwig van Hursh View Post
Very cool stuff!

If you can get the midgets to work, will you be able to add the USS Monaghan's attack of one in the harbor itself?

I have the Monaghans action scripted but in three test runs have ran into problems.

One is that SH 4 for whatever reason, AI ships see AI submarines like surface ships, so near by shore batteries and other warships start firing guns at the midget sub, causing it to do evasive action and at times run aground and not always making it to the area where it was sunk by the Monaghan. Mean while battleships over on battleship row are firing guns across the harbor at it lmao, looks silly.

Then, the Mongahan , because of how AI treats sub, engages with guns primarily, just shoots at the sub. Only once did it drop depth charges. Due to limited space in the inaccurate rendition of Pearl Harbor in SH 4, DD sometimes runs aground or gets "stuck" going ahead and reverse, unable to see a way around.

Another issue is for some reason, enemy aircraft prefer to attack lesser vessels in the sim in lieu capital vessels lol it is pretty ass backwards. I have watched them choose to attack merchants, submarines, and destroyers over the battleships so I had to remove all merchants from harbor for the attack sequence. Problem is with Monaghan running round, it distracts too many bombers who end up attacking her instead of Utah which is closest battleship. I made a special Monaghan DD type, but changed it from a DD to a capital ship, planes did not swarm on it the same but then the problem is while it still attacks the sub, its not the hunter it was and more difficult to get a depth charge run out of it vs when set as a DD. Years ago ran into this issue in Combat Flight Simulator 2 and we found a work around, assigning priority numbers in the files of different ships so AI planes would not attack a cruiser in midway task force over a carrier, but don't see that option in SH 4, believe it is a hard corded issue.

Test 1

Midget sub never even made it to the attack area, ran aground on west side of ford island.

Test 2

sub was crippled by gun fire from shore batteries and BB Utah as it was coming up west side of forward island.Made it to area where Monaghan gunned it until ran aground and backed off, then was stuck.

Test 3

Sub was in correct place at correct time. Monaghan spotted it and attacked with guns. Finally made a close enough run and dropped two depth charges, which crippled the midget sub, it slowed and was trailing oil until sunk to bottom. Problem is, probably 20 dive bombers ignored the nearby Utah and attacked the Monaghan lol. Amazingly did not sink it, but she was on fire after bomb hit.

I am still trying to perfect this portion of the action but yes, want it to included in final release. Most people are still unaware of this action. Pretty intense, fighting a sub, dodging torpedoes in middle of a air raid, then the shallow depth of harbor, the shock wave of the DC lifted the stern out of the water, causing DD to crash into a barge from what I read. Still got underway after that, pretty interesting aspect of the PH attack .

The engagement with the midget sub by USS Ward has been added as well outside the harbor. Last tested it fired its deck gun and scored hits, then rolled over and dropped three DC , which sunk the sub. Pretty cool when it plays out as in did in reality.
Old 11-24-21, 01:50 PM   #5
Ludwig van Hursh
A-ganger

Downloads: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
I have the Monaghans action scripted but in three test runs have ran into problems.

One is that SH 4 for whatever reason, AI ships see AI submarines like surface ships, so near by shore batteries and other warships start firing guns at the midget sub, causing it to do evasive action and at times run aground and not always making it to the area where it was sunk by the Monaghan. Mean while battleships over on battleship row are firing guns across the harbor at it lmao, looks silly.

Then, the Mongahan , because of how AI treats sub, engages with guns primarily, just shoots at the sub. Only once did it drop depth charges. Due to limited space in the inaccurate rendition of Pearl Harbor in SH 4, DD sometimes runs aground or gets "stuck" going ahead and reverse, unable to see a way around.

Another issue is for some reason, enemy aircraft prefer to attack lesser vessels in the sim in lieu capital vessels lol it is pretty ass backwards. I have watched them choose to attack merchants, submarines, and destroyers over the battleships so I had to remove all merchants from harbor for the attack sequence. Problem is with Monaghan running round, it distracts too many bombers who end up attacking her instead of Utah which is closest battleship. I made a special Monaghan DD type, but changed it from a DD to a capital ship, planes did not swarm on it the same but then the problem is while it still attacks the sub, its not the hunter it was and more difficult to get a depth charge run out of it vs when set as a DD. Years ago ran into this issue in Combat Flight Simulator 2 and we found a work around, assigning priority numbers in the files of different ships so AI planes would not attack a cruiser in midway task force over a carrier, but don't see that option in SH 4, believe it is a hard corded issue.

Test 1

Midget sub never even made it to the attack area, ran aground on west side of ford island.

Test 2

sub was crippled by gun fire from shore batteries and BB Utah as it was coming up west side of forward island.Made it to area where Monaghan gunned it until ran aground and backed off, then was stuck.

Test 3

Sub was in correct place at correct time. Monaghan spotted it and attacked with guns. Finally made a close enough run and dropped two depth charges, which crippled the midget sub, it slowed and was trailing oil until sunk to bottom. Problem is, probably 20 dive bombers ignored the nearby Utah and attacked the Monaghan lol. Amazingly did not sink it, but she was on fire after bomb hit.

I am still trying to perfect this portion of the action but yes, want it to included in final release. Most people are still unaware of this action. Pretty intense, fighting a sub, dodging torpedoes in middle of a air raid, then the shallow depth of harbor, the shock wave of the DC lifted the stern out of the water, causing DD to crash into a barge from what I read. Still got underway after that, pretty interesting aspect of the PH attack .

The engagement with the midget sub by USS Ward has been added as well outside the harbor. Last tested it fired its deck gun and scored hits, then rolled over and dropped three DC , which sunk the sub. Pretty cool when it plays out as in did in reality.
Well if you don't get it to work it's no big deal you can just have Monaghan sail through the harbor and out to assist Ward like it was originally ordered to do, not sure if it continued this after hitting the barge or just sort of sat there until the attack ended.

I'm also curious how badly you can destroy USS Cassin and Downes that were with USS Pennsylvania in the drydock, they were essentially wrecked completely. Also if it is possible to have the USS Shaw in the floating drydock. It would just be neat to see how far we can push Silent Hunter to show a historical event with some authenticity!

I was also wondering if you will include some radio messages that players can pick up from inside Pearl or in the vicinity, I don't know if there was radio traffic that could be picked up during the attack but would be neat to be on what you thought was a regular patrol nearby then suddenly getting a flurry of radio messages of the attack and learning of it the way I'm sure many in the Navy did while out of the Harbor.

EDIT: I just looked at your pictures again and is that an Omaha Class cruiser I see......?!?!?!?! If this game had a sailable Omaha or Northampton Class it would be the greatest game ever made lol
Old 11-24-21, 02:21 PM   #6
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Did you say "Omaha"??
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...o=file&id=4462

and while it's not a Northampton, it is a Baltimore:
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...o=file&id=5410

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-21, 02:31 PM   #7
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludwig van Hursh View Post
Well if you don't get it to work it's no big deal you can just have Monaghan sail through the harbor and out to assist Ward like it was originally ordered to do, not sure if it continued this after hitting the barge or just sort of sat there until the attack ended.

I'm also curious how badly you can destroy USS Cassin and Downes that were with USS Pennsylvania in the drydock, they were essentially wrecked completely. Also if it is possible to have the USS Shaw in the floating drydock. It would just be neat to see how far we can push Silent Hunter to show a historical event with some authenticity!

I was also wondering if you will include some radio messages that players can pick up from inside Pearl or in the vicinity, I don't know if there was radio traffic that could be picked up during the attack but would be neat to be on what you thought was a regular patrol nearby then suddenly getting a flurry of radio messages of the attack and learning of it the way I'm sure many in the Navy did while out of the Harbor.

EDIT: I just looked at your pictures again and is that an Omaha Class cruiser I see......?!?!?!?! If this game had a sailable Omaha or Northampton Class it would be the greatest game ever made lol

Just ran another test. The second wave, one of the last group usually ends up focusing on the Cassin and Downes since by then all the BB and CA are wrecked. Cassin and Downs which are already damaged from explosions and fires of the Pennsylvania usually. I will place the Shaw in as well, see what happens. I am using the fire mod which causes damage to ships so burning fires are not just for looks now. Of course results can vary, I have watched them go untouched aside from the damage from Pennsylvania explosion.

Yes, there are messages. The first on the morning of the attack reporting Ward's sinking of midget sub off harbor. Since there was a delay in the message being received, player usually does not receive the message from COMSUBPAC until around 0730ish...twenty five minutes before first wave of ijn planes arrive. About 0800 the famous "AIR RAID PEARL HARBOR X THIS NO DRILL X" message goes out, follow through the day by other famous messages. Then player will receive new orders that afternoon, depending on where they are. So if left pearl to patrol off Japan and monitor shipping, you are now ordered to patrol at X and sinking shipping.

One have enjoyed was departed on December 1 to patrol West of Wake Island. Once news og PH and at war, in position to see the first air strikes on Wake on, the first invasion attempt on morning of 11 December...shore batteries attacking IJN and all. Repel the initial landing attempt.

Daily air raids on Wake, enemy subs operating in area. SORYU and HIRYU detach from the PH force and area in area to support air raids.

Other includes pre war orders to patrol North of Hawaii and have a chance to run into the japanese carrier force the morning and early afternoon of the attack before depart area.

Really depends on the luck of the draw on which orders you get prior to attack.

Yes, you see Omaha Class CL in the the shots. I am not sure if there is a playable Omaha, I believe there is a playable Northampton though.