SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-11-20, 10:58 AM   #1
steel shark
XO

Downloads: 48
Uploads: 5

Default Total Optics Overhaul

as most if not all submarines have 2 periscopes & other optics Binoculars ect i have been thinking of making this a thing in :

Epic Waters

Pacific Waters

Atlantic Waters

so in Epic waters this is :

Attack periscope = Slower ESM Detection speed and smaller View area But Smaller so less Radar detection chance

Observation periscope = Faster ESM Detection speed and larger view but it is easier to detect on radar

Pacific & Atlantic Waters

Attack periscope = harder to spot better zoom settings but darker view as smaller lenses so less good at night

Observation periscope = larger view area and brighter view then attack scope because of larger lenses used but easier to spot

Surface ship Optics

Basically a periscope or binoculars for surface warships

Binoculars

these are used on the surface by crew on watch

UZO or Master Surface Optic Sight

Basically a Large Binocular to use Torpedoes with on the surface

Other advantages to duel scopes are if esm you can use both scopes & the esm mast for faster Triangulation of targets via ESM

other advantage is you have 2 Periscopes so you have a spare if one gets damaged

Optic View Movement

I will add camera up and down to all optics as well

Observation periscopes will have more up and down then Attack Periscopes as they have a larger Elevation and depression The Master Sight or uzo will have limited up and down as well but Binoculars will be Unlimited Angel Wise so will basically be free look

as for Photonics Masts Like the Virginia & Astute Classes Have ill have to think on it as they 360 Degree views

im going to try and use very high resolution back ground images and photo fit the scopes together using the best images i can for a nise look ive included some of my research photos for you to look at

This is under construction by me at the moment

Last edited by steel shark; 08-01-20 at 07:55 AM.
steel shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-20, 08:31 AM   #2
steel shark
XO

Default First go at new masts panel

K i have remade the sensors_maximized Panel to make room for Both Periscopes

i decided to name the scopes

Scope
A

For Attack Periscope

&

Scope
O

For the Observation Periscope

At the moment im reusing existing periscopes from my hud packs for the periscope files till i make new ones

Last edited by steel shark; 08-01-20 at 07:55 AM.
Old 06-13-20, 12:10 AM   #3
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 16

I'd leave the scopes in CW the way they are, the observation scope never gets used in an approach and the attack scope has the better ESM as well. As far as radar detection goes, the size of the scope head is irrelevant as it's the scope tube itself that presents the largest RCS.

USS Kentucky SSBN 737 (G)
Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Yes I was really on a submarine.
ETR3(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-20, 04:17 AM   #4
steel shark
XO

Default A game approach

As in cold waters im currently doing both Epic Waters which is cold war to the present submarines

& my two WWII Mods

Atlantic & Pacific Waters

the need for more optics is Very Important even on a epic waters modern subs its good to use the binoculars when surfaced if you want to

and WWI & WWII Subs had Uzo,s & Master Sights

so for WW2 subs their periscopes were very different so basically :

The field of view of observation scope was larger which made it handy for looking around. The attack periscope was built to have just enough FOV to be able to target ships with. Structurally, the obs scope was larger and was risky to use if enemy planes were though of being around due to the bigger chance of the ‘eye’ reflecting sunlight.

as for Epic waters Modern subs my under standing of Modern periscope is this :

Basically: An attack periscope has a low profile and is used (usually) for an attack where you are trying to remain undetected. A search periscope is bigger and has a larger profile. It will have a larger window so has a larger elevation and depression.

Most navies the tubes are the same, as is the ocular box and torque motors. It is the top end that is different.

Now depending on the navies it depends on what the customer what's. Most search periscopes have further electronics in it such as TI, LLTVs, DCs and GPS, Comms and data feeds in the dome. Attacks, usually have a direct line of sight and nowt much else, speaking generally.

Some navies have a TI in the attack as well, or an II.

Countries may have the odd difference but not alot.

Periscopes in the submarine tend to be similar or same layout for both attack and search just with limited capabilities. Both will have distance, direct Los, artificial horizons in both etc. But the search can do more.

of course i know their will be different set ups on both types of periscopes world wide so i got to make em the best i can with the info i can find when i look for information i try to use as many sources as possible then i take the agreed ed upon details and adjust em in to my games

the last point is game restrictions i have to work around or bend or make entire new things to get what i want out of the game

as a side note i have seen and looked at and used your

Type 8-B Mod 3 periscope

Type 8-J Mod 3 periscope

Type 18 periscope

not seen a periscope with a broom tied on to it yet but theirs time

as for Virginia class periscopes not seen on in person but i do own a xbox controller so im half way their

i have also seen various British periscopes in person

Last edited by steel shark; 06-13-20 at 04:39 AM.