SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 U-Boat Missions Add On
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-31-15, 10:56 PM   #16
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Default welcome aboard!

Lochar!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-15, 06:18 AM   #17
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Welcome to SubSim

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-15, 03:28 PM   #18
ablebaker
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Similar problem to others in this thread. First time player of SH4, first campaign, first patrol, one merchant sunk. Then 3 destroyers came after me - escaped from them and found this giant endless warship convoy to my east going south at 11 kts. Tried to parallel it (going south) a 21 kts but cannot find the head. (Sounds similar to what Farside mentioned 3/8/15 - earlier in this thread) Time compression now stutters at above 128. Whereas before I could easily run it at 4000 on the way to my patrol area. When I do a Save then exit to Windows, I get a crash. Same happens if I load the save game then exit to Windows.

Fresh install of SH4 1.5 with only the GFO mod.
Old 04-27-15, 07:27 PM   #19
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

Default welcome aboard!

ablebaker!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Old 04-28-15, 05:24 AM   #20
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Welcome to SubSim baker

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-15, 08:47 PM   #21
zacharius
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 31
Default Time Compression Issues

Does anyone know if there if there is any real fix for this? I was looking at some of the coding, but I dont really see anything that handles time compression other than main config.
zacharius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-15, 09:15 PM   #22
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Default welcome aboard!

zacharius!After a 5 year silent run!

Old 08-05-15, 12:35 AM   #23
ColonelSandersLite
Captain

Downloads: 71
Uploads: 3

You know, I was getting seemingly random crashes, and then I figured out the cause. I'm not 100% sure what setting it was anymore though. Basically, the crash was caused by the game running out of memory. 2 Things:

1: Grab the 4GB of Memory patch if you don't have it already.

2: Next time you experience it, try to save in a new save slot, don't risk your last good one. Drop all the graphics settings and see if that fixes it. It may require closing the game and restarting it. If that fixes it, try bumping the settings back up one by one until you find out which setting it is exactly. If I recall, it was one or both of the terrain object settings doing this and dropping it to the half way mark or so fixed it. I know that some of you are saying it wasn't near shore, but that doesn't mean that the game isn't buffering terrain models anyways. I suspect that what happens is that the game keeps textures and models for all objects you have seen on the patrol loaded into memory.

Edit: Oh, sorry for the slight necro, but the post was still on the first page so it's not really that bad I guess.
Old 08-12-15, 06:59 AM   #24
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Very good advice. A little curiosity often leads to better gameplay and you gave great advice there.

It brings me great pleasure to award you Necro of the Week though. Congratulations....I think
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-19, 06:47 PM   #25
freqimann
Nub

Downloads: 48

having this same issue. having a blast these past couple of days. second patrol i found a large convoy on the way home. taken damage and was low on fuel/torpedoes. tried to TC past them. no matter where i was in the game, anything above 128x greatly reduced performance. i tried to make it back to pearl with the low TC only to have my game CTD half way there.

I remember running into this problem before and it being the primary reason i stopped playing. i found the memory fix was already enabled. i heard this could be a problem with 1.5 and uboat DLC. tried to uninstall, but it seems linked to one another through steam. i cant run one without the other.

i know its been almost half a decade, but any help would be appreciated.
freqimann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-19, 07:14 PM   #26
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

It's usually better to start your own thread freqimann, otherwise you end up at the bottom of page 2 of a thread, and might get buried when someone sees how old the thread is... but that's neither here nor now. Some are going to wonder if you've been in a time warp

Sorry, distraction... If your crew has been injured in any of the damage you speak of, or if maybe you accidentally left them at battlestations for a few days, their "efficiency" deteriorates, and the game limits you to 128x TC in those cases. If you have a lot of traffic around you, especially airplanes, the game has limited "throughput", and will stutter trying to display it all. The 4 gig patch helps, but you're still limited by your computer and its "background" apps running, the amount of RAM you have, the free-space on your hard drive, and the vid card you're using. Do you have any of your system specs, or if you have any mods on your game. Also, what folder do you have the game installed in?

And we really should welcome you to SubSim since this is your first post, though almost 9 years later...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-19, 12:52 AM   #27
freqimann
Nub

Downloads: 48

i figured that would be messy. if someone already had this problem, why make a new thread? when i post, this thread gets bumped to the top of the list. correct?

is the 128 limit you speak of a soft limit? i'm able to exceed this, it just bogs down the sim and starts getting SLOWER the more i increase. that defeats the purpose of TC. any tips for dealing with this, if that is the case?

-i'm using a mod that decreases the amount of enemy air traffic. that's it.

-Path: D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Silent Hunters Wolves of the Pacific

-Intel i5-4690 @ 3.5GHz
8 GB RAM
Radeon RX 570 4GB?

update: successfully removed UBM DLC. it involved a complete reinstall. after going through and setting up things the way i like i found that all map measurements are in nautical miles rather than yards. i'm willing to put up with a lot from the downgrade, but this is harsh. calculating speed using tenths of a nautical mile? what a nightmare. i havent really bothered to test if this works. the absence of yard measurements is just to distracting to get deep into a patrol.

another thing: is the steam version really locked at 1.3? i read a thread saying that yard measurements could be taken in 1.4, but i don't see that in the version i'm using.

Last edited by freqimann; 04-15-19 at 01:01 AM.
freqimann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-19, 02:52 AM   #28
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Default welcome aboard!

freqimann! AFTER A LONG SILENT RUN!

Old 04-15-19, 08:12 PM   #29
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by freqimann View Post
i figured that would be messy. if someone already had this problem, why make a new thread? when i post, this thread gets bumped to the top of the list. correct?
True, the cream rises to the top. I always forget whose thread I posted in though...

Quote:
is the 128 limit you speak of a soft limit? i'm able to exceed this, it just bogs down the sim and starts getting SLOWER the more i increase. that defeats the purpose of TC. any tips for dealing with this, if that is the case?
That is a cfg file that limits the TC when you have damage. That's not what you are encountering, from your description. 128x is often the maximum that the game will "play" smoothly when near a lot of traffic, such as when near a harbor or bay with a lot of traffic in it, or when near a battle scene. There's usually not too much to be done for it, other than try to makes things more efficient for the game.

Quote:
-i'm using a mod that decreases the amount of enemy air traffic. that's it.
If that's the Webster version, that works good. However, it is NOT for ver 1.3 of the game...

Quote:
-Path: D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Silent Hunters Wolves of the Pacific

-Intel i5-4690 @ 3.5GHz
8 GB RAM
Radeon RX 570 4GB?
good path to the game, excellent computer specs, even if a 1st gen i5 (which it's not, since it's 3.5GHz). Plenty of RAM, good vid card...

Quote:
update: successfully removed UBM DLC. it involved a complete reinstall. after going through and setting up things the way i like i found that all map measurements are in nautical miles rather than yards. i'm willing to put up with a lot from the downgrade, but this is harsh. calculating speed using tenths of a nautical mile? what a nightmare. i havent really bothered to test if this works. the absence of yard measurements is just to distracting to get deep into a patrol.
That is v1.3 - it did not do "measurements" correctly. Most of the mods you will find will be for v1.5 (Uboat Missions) of the game. A very distant second would be v1.4, and very few, if any, for v1.3

Quote:
another thing: is the steam version really locked at 1.3? i read a thread saying that yard measurements could be taken in 1.4, but i don't see that in the version i'm using.
You cannot use the Ubisoft v1.4 update on the Steam version of v1.3 - it just will not do it. You have to "update" to the Steam version 1.5 Uboat Missions add-on when doing Steam v1.3. Steam with Steam.

Make certain with the game that you have the correct executable file with the Large Address Aware set on it. When doing that, make certain that the executable is not write-protected, else the LAA will fail, without message. With your computer, you should not be experiencing bad lags, unless you run into a lot of traffic in the game. Make certain that the video display driver matches the "Native" ("Recommended" in Windows) resolution of the display monitor (unless you have a CRT), and that you have the game set to the same resolution. Do not do any "over-sampling" or anything like that, because that will add overhead.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-19, 09:53 PM   #30
thangba202
Sailor man

Downloads: 189
Default Possible fix

Hi,

Just a few days ago I have experience this TC issue where going pass 1000x would dramatically slow the game.

I discover that the sound was the problem and as I switch to a different sound device (driver) it work flawestly again and I can go to 7200x no problem.

Hope this help.
thangba202 is offline   Reply With Quote