SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-12-20, 12:04 PM   #1
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

Downloads: 548
Uploads: 0

Default Man beaten, robbed of his six-figure life savings outside Southern California Chase B

Quote:
Authorities are searching for the suspect who attacked and robbed a man of his life savings after he had just withdrawn the money from the bank.
https://abc13.com/california-beating...tolen/6357662/

Quote:
HUNTINGTON PARK, California -- Authorities are searching for the suspect who attacked and robbed a man of $200,000 at a bank parking lot in the Los Angeles area last week.

Francisco Cornejo was beaten and is still bruised after getting his life savings ripped away. After withdrawing money from a Chase Bank, he was attacked.

Through his attorney, he said the suspect got away with hundreds of thousands of dollars.

"He was parked as closely as possible to the bank, knowing he was going to withdraw a large amount of cash. As soon as he got to his car, before he was able to get to his car, he was grabbed and beaten," attorney Nathan Soleimani said.

A spontaneous reaction is why does a man take out so much money? Another is why you withdraw money in that case in "banknotes" and not via bill of exchange or check, which in many cases are protected by Social security numbers or identification ... an unclear situation.

Marie Curie

Gerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-20, 12:41 PM   #2
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

This doesn't sound like a random mugging. Not only are there the questions that you raised but I am pretty sure that you can't just walk in to a bank and expect to walk back out with that much cash. They had to know he was coming. Somebody got wind of it and planned this.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-20, 12:48 PM   #3
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
This doesn't sound like a random mugging. Not only are there the questions that you raised but I am pretty sure that you can't just walk in to a bank and expect to walk back out with that much cash. They had to know he was coming. Somebody got wind of it and planned this.
Certainly not a coincidence imho.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-20, 12:49 PM   #4
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Probably a hostage situation and they knew the victim is all I can think of ...

The bank should be accountable in that he should've had protection out to the parking lot at least.

Why are you posting so much Vendor not that I mind that much, but this is not normal for someone to just take over Subsim and post like this, although as I can remember correctly you have done this before, right?

Are you just out of work or something?
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-20, 01:46 PM   #5
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post

The bank should be accountable in that he should've had protection out to the parking lot at least.

Why are you posting so much Vendor not that I mind that much, but this is not normal for someone to just take over Subsim and post like this, although as I can remember correctly you have done this before, right?

An "old habit", I am fully aware of criticism in it ... I put no values in it but of course I respect that members just like you now express it like this. I have no problem stopping this at all ... surely there are more here who want it. So based on your actions, I choose to end the "so-called posting" in that dignity.

Regards Gerald

Marie Curie

Old 08-12-20, 01:52 PM   #6
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendor View Post

A spontaneous reaction is why does a man take out so much money? Another is why you withdraw money in that case in "banknotes" and not via bill of exchange or check, which in many cases are protected by Social security numbers or identification ... an unclear situation.
Maybe because he fears a collapse of the banking system, a bankrun and customers shut out, a collapse of the paper money. Or he wants just anonymity and privacy in his payments and consumer behaviour, which is a perfect liberal right in my book.

All that paper toy stuff like cheques or bills of exchange and whatever will not help you if the bank locks customers out. Or when the state plunders private savings of its customers, even breaks into the private safe deposit boxes customer hold in the basement of a given bank. We have had it all, we have seen it all, we have been there.

I am not surprised that he did like he did, I am only surprised that he kept it all in paper cash instead of changing it into a different form of wealth storage that could outsit a rapid fladsh hyperinflation: may it be gold or silver, diamonds, precious ancient coins or whatever.
Old 08-12-20, 02:18 PM   #7
August
Wayfaring Stranger

I once pulled out $12 grand in cash from the bank so I could dicker with a car salesman on a used car. It's cool to see their eyes get big when you say "I'll pay cash, right now!",...and mean it.

But getting the bank to give it up took extra paperwork for the feds and a bit of a delay while they triple counted everything. I suppose it could have given somebody enough time to stake out my car and wait for me to come out. IIRC the bank guard didn't accompany me to the car either.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-20, 05:14 PM   #8
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
This. I don't think it's a simple mugging.
Old 08-12-20, 05:15 PM   #9
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:

From time to time Vendor updates the forum with a lot of news posts, it's routine. Gerald, you're good, thanks.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-20, 06:48 PM   #10
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
I once pulled out $12 grand in cash from the bank so I could dicker with a car salesman on a used car. It's cool to see their eyes get big when you say "I'll pay cash, right now!",...and mean it.

But getting the bank to give it up took extra paperwork for the feds and a bit of a delay while they triple counted everything. I suppose it could have given somebody enough time to stake out my car and wait for me to come out. IIRC the bank guard didn't accompany me to the car either.

Sometimes the bank will play the old we can't have it today game too.

I've pulled around $14,000 out at one time before for equipment purchases, but I'm always more concerned about being pulled over by a Police Officer and having it seized because "peons must be buying drugs if they have that much dinero on them". The truth is if I move it by check they'll put a hold on it, and I won't be able to buy the piece of equipment I was trying to buy.
Old 08-13-20, 12:24 AM   #11
Sean C
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 2

Quote:
... surely there are more here who want it. So based on your actions, I choose to end the "so-called posting" in that dignity.

I find most of the stories you post interesting. And it doesn't sound like Neal's worried about running out of space on the server any time soon.
Old 08-13-20, 02:15 AM   #12
Col7777
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 260

As for posting too much, I've noticed someone on here post on almost every thread daily.
Also to question someone about if they are at home with nothing to do etc, to some people the forum is a kind family, what if they are housebound and don't see many people or something similar?

Col.

Silent and Violent
Col7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-20, 10:03 AM   #13
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Quote:
An "old habit", I am fully aware of criticism in it ... I put no values in it but of course I respect that members just like you now express it like this. I have no problem stopping this at all ... surely there are more here who want it. So based on your actions, I choose to end the "so-called posting" in that dignity.

Regards Gerald
No bother brother ... I just thought it was odd that so many threads were started all at once flooding the forum (which has been kind of dry lately for sure). I didn't mean to run you off.

I am too busy to read them all I just pick and chose. Feel free to start what you think would be interesting.

We are after all an international group of men that are drawn together from our love of the underseas warfare submarines have provided.
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-20, 10:19 AM   #14
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

Icon14

Quote:
No bother brother ... I just thought it was odd that so many threads were started all at once flooding the forum (which has been kind of dry lately for sure). I didn't mean to run you off.

I am too busy to read them all I just pick and chose. Feel free to start what you think would be interesting.

We are after all an international group of men that are drawn together from our love of the underseas warfare submarines have provided.
I do not perceive what you are saying to me was something negative. SubSim stands for a very large asset partly through various threads games, marine news, and the other more versatile General topics. The forum also has the best family feeling of togetherness in much! We are all free to post anything ... in "principle", based on the forum rules of course. I myself do not have time to read everything and I am probably not alone in that. I wish you a very good evening and week.

Marie Curie