SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-04-18, 01:51 PM   #61
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

I'll be safely esconced in the yellow coloured area on the east coast.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-18, 03:57 PM   #62
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0

A bit of a word of advice for Jim: Even the most well-surveilled and/or patrolled areas in Mexico should be treated with caution. Here in Los Angeles, not far from the Mexican border, there are often travel warnings given about bad conditions for tourist of all nations in Mexico. The low-lifes, and that does include some of the local Mexican LEOs, like to victimize tourists because the likelihood of their victims to actually carry through with prosecution in courts, if they are caught, is extremely small. When you are down there, best stay with any group you may be with or join and best stay within safe areas. I haven't been in Mexico since the 60's and, even then, I didn't want to go at all and I certainly don't have any wish to go now. The horror stories we get up here in LA from many of those who traveled to Mexico make it seem as if that whole country exists just to fleece or victimize tourists. I do wish you and yours the best of luck in Mexico, but do keep an open eye when down there...

<O>
Old 09-05-18, 08:04 AM   #63
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

^ Appreciate the advice vienna, I doubt we'll be leaving the resort.

https://www.tui.co.uk/destinations/c...s-and-spa.html

https://www.karismahotels.com/hotels...tes/highlights

https://www.eldoradosparesorts.com/seaside-suites

Also looking forward to the first class upgrade and the flight on the Dreamliner.

Old 11-12-18, 10:43 PM   #64
Eisenwurst
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 58

After a bit of prompting, I'm posting some pics of where I now live. It's got a reputation for being dangerous, but if you go looking for trouble you'll find it, whereas if you're sensible you can avoid trouble and have a good time.

Good old Kings Cross - the old ( now just a memory ) red light district of Sydney Australia.

Juanita Nielsen's house. The poor girl was a community activist opposed to the indiscriminant ( my spelling's not the best ) development on Victoria Street, she was also quite wealthy and influential.........she made some enemies......and "disappeared".

The iconic Coca Cola sign in it's latest incarnation. Back in the 80s it used to put on a 15 min strobeing display - all sorts of different patterns, at nighttime. It was great to watch.

Looking down William Street towards Sydney CBD. It used to be thronged with hookers late at night in the 80s. I lived in a small apartment block where the billboard is now. Only 8 units, noisy as hell. A guy that lived on the first floor was a chef at the Centrepoint tower and every Sunday he'd lay on a meal for everyone in the building ( free just bring beer ). Mustapha, Moroccan guy, top bloke.

Kellett Street. Back in 1984 we had an axe murderer. He killed 2 people in one week and a week later he was attacking his third victim when the "victim" turned on him and gave him such a hiding that he was glad when the cops arrived and saved him from being beaten to death.

Said "victim" received a bravery award. Richly deserved.

Where the old "Astoria" restaurant used to be. Everybody ate there, the food was excellent and cheap - $2 t bone steak and chips, big bowl of home cooked delicious soup with bread roll 40 cents. A Greek family ran it. The Staff from the Bourbon and Beefsteak across the road used to eat there much to the chagrin of their bosses.

Now the site is a pokey little cafe much frequented by poseurs.

What's left of the Famous "Bourbon and Beefsteak", an iconic restaurant much frequented by R & R troops during the Vietnam War. The owner, an American, Bernie Houghton loved the place and really doted on it. He died and a wealthy Chinese gent bought it and completely changed everything about it.

The famous "El Alamein" fountain. Our ratbag city council wanted to get rid of it but there was such public outrage that after a long legal battle we kept the fountain.

One of the local Sacred Ibises, nice guys , I feed them whenever I get a chance.

The old "Sweethearts" building. "Sweethearts" was open 24/7, never closed, when every other place had shut for the night you could always go along to "Sweethearts" for a coffee/light meal whatever. Nice Cafe/Restaurant.

Back in '86 in a matter of a couple of weeks, there were 2 very public murders in the place - full of customers each time. And "Sweethearts" closed. Now the building is a doss house for backpackers. Very Sad.

Quite a long post but I hope you enjoy it.

Last edited by Eisenwurst; 08-18-20 at 12:43 AM.
Eisenwurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-18, 02:13 AM   #65
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

Sure did enjoy that, mate... thanks for a fabulous post (after all the arm-twisting)
Old 11-13-18, 03:47 AM   #66
Schroeder
Navy Seal

Downloads: 62

It's been 20 years that I've been to Sydney.

Guess I need to find a better job.
Old 11-13-18, 09:37 AM   #67
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Great post eisenwurst

Old 11-29-18, 11:43 PM   #68
Eisenwurst
Silent Hunter

Thanks guys .

There's a bit of "material" left for a part 2 if you want.

Some of you might come down here one day and need to know what to avoid.
Old 11-30-18, 01:30 AM   #69
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

Okay go ahead, e
Old 11-30-18, 01:32 PM   #70
Dirk Gently
Bosun

Downloads: 61

I live in the middle of a forest. Trees on all sides but close enough to the ocean to smell the salt.
Dirk Gently is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-18, 08:24 PM   #71
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 0

I feel a strange desire to visit Sydney late at night in the 1980s.
Old 12-01-18, 11:39 AM   #72
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Thanks for the pictures eisenwurst

Doesn't look that bad in the day time
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-18, 01:29 AM   #73
Eisenwurst
Silent Hunter

As promised, Part 2.

A bit of name dropping, but it makes for an interesting post.

"Harry's Cafe de Wheels". Very popular for generations. Good no nonsense Aussie street food. Pies, Sausage Rolls, Chips, Hot Dogs. Cheap and really tasty. It's been that successful that franchises are now available. They're in many cities in Australia, and some even overseas.

Harry's "Tiger", Steak pie with peas, mashed potato and gravy. Good value for $7.

Below, some of Harry's customers over the years.

Pamela Anderson.

The Ab Fab girls.

Sir David Martin. A Real Man. He died from cancer, but worked up till his dying day. I remember news footage of him taking the salute at a Naval march past. There he was in full uniform, gasping for breath, standing proudly. A lot of sailors had tears in their eyes as they marched past.

The Colonel didn't mind a pie or two when he was in town.

Adriana Xenides, Aussie TV Star. For years she told doctors that she was very sick, but they didn't believe her..... She died and they're like " Oh well looks like she was right after all".

Poor Charlotte Dawson in happier days. She was hounded to death by an organised troll army. Truly tragic.

just a local girl ( yawn ) . They all look alike

The Finger Wharf at Woolloomooloo ( hard to spell ).
It's looks boring but this is Serious Real Estate. Big Name Actors have places here and drop by from time to time ( to Harrys . )

Recommended you come here.

Pretentious Artwork not taken seriously by locals. Quickly dubbed "Poos on Sticks".

The "Tropicana". If you ever come to "The Cross", this place might be recommended to you. Don't go. It's very popular with the Theatre crowd and is one of THE places to be seen. And the staff have a real superior attitude, which doesn't help the vibe if you do go.

The "Coluzzi Bar". A sidewalk espresso bar. This was THE place to get noticed/be seen ( if you're that vain ). At least now they've got tables and chairs now, used to be just milk crates. A hangout for the Socially Desperate.

The entrance Kings Cross Railway Station. A SERIOUS warning.Statistically this used to be the most dangerous place in all of Sydney. Quite a few people have been killed here in recent years. Not by guns or knives, but in your face, toe to toe fist fighting. Take care.

"The Medically Supervised Injecting Clinic". The Heroin Shooting Gallery.

Taxpayer/Ratepayer funded. Staffed by Quacks and Shrinks. When you're a petty crim/junkie the PC crowd really look after you.

Across the road from the Train Station entrance. Don't hang around here.

The rooftop of good old "Maccas". One of the little known Gems of The Cross. Back in the 80s there were little fountains, beautiful flower beds, lovely garden atmosphere, it's been badly neglected and allowed to deteriorate. Sad. But still a great place to watch the colourful goings on in Darlinghurst Road. Today was about 100 degrees F, so everyone was downstairs in A/C comfort.

Last pic, Tommy's place in Victoria Street. "Bang Tang" A great place to eat, good vibe, and Tommy's a real nice bloke. When I eat there I always have the ......"Hun Bastard" - great name.

Quite a long post, but like I said in Part one, if you're sensible you should be alright. It's mainly on weekends at nighttime when there's trouble. Young guys out to prove their manhood etc.

It's a very compact area, about 40,000 people in 2 sq miles, and there are some truly beautiful places to go and see ( all walking distance ).

I hope you enjoyed the post.
Old 12-02-18, 06:41 AM   #74
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Wow, man, great job! That's what this thread was intended to be. I feel like I've visited there now.
Old 12-02-18, 08:14 AM   #75
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Aye, great update eisenwurst