Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-04-22, 09:33 PM   #1
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

Default I knew it, you’re all extraterrestrials

All five building blocks of DNA/RNA have been found in meteorites. .

https://rdcu.be/cMHHr

Aliens

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-22, 10:55 PM   #2
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

I'm game. I know I have some Timbrini in me, maybe some Theninen....

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-22, 01:35 AM   #3
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

radar

Quote:
"I knew it, you’re all extraterrestrials"
re Rockstar: but you never came out with this.. took you some time. Not sure whether this is what humanity called panspermia. If, it is more of the soft p. theory.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
I'm game. I know I have some Timbrini in me, maybe some Theninen....
Timbrini? Theninen? The Nin-En? What is that? Inquiring alien minds want to know. We cannot know all, learning your languages is bad enough.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.

Last edited by Catfish; 05-05-22 at 01:48 AM.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-22, 04:14 AM   #4
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

We are all human-cylon hybride offsprings.
Old 05-05-22, 06:10 AM   #5
Otto Harkaman
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 31

life is inherent throughout the cosmos, its not a rare occurrence

Otto Harkaman is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-22, 06:35 AM   #6
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Harkaman View Post
life is inherent throughout the cosmos, its not a rare occurrence
Thats just a hypothesis, still. Romantic, but speculative.
And I sometimes ask myself, considering that many humans and their ideological systems accentuate the uniqueness of humans and Earth, what would happen to our civilization and mental wellbeing if one day we would would get undeniable evidence for that we are indeed the only life in the entire universe, the only living planet.

It might be that this would crush us and destroy us by collective despair more fundamentally than finding that there are hostile aliens coming to earth.
Old 05-05-22, 06:19 PM   #7
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

Aliens? Us?

Is this one of your Earth Jokes?
Old 05-06-22, 05:41 AM   #8
Otto Harkaman
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Thats just a hypothesis, still. Romantic, but speculative.
And I sometimes ask myself, considering that many humans and their ideological systems accentuate the uniqueness of humans and Earth, what would happen to our civilization and mental wellbeing if one day we would would get undeniable evidence for that we are indeed the only life in the entire universe, the only living planet.

It might be that this would crush us and destroy us by collective despair more fundamentally than finding that there are hostile aliens coming to earth.

Sounds like a good sci-fi horror novel

But with 200+ billion galaxies I think the opposite, we'll find life everywhere, and despite what our mommies told us, we are not unique or special but actually pretty ordinary.

And why no great space armadas flying around, all of us are pretty planet bound most of us can't exist outside our native planet conditions. And its slooooow to travel trough space.

Otto Harkaman is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-22, 06:24 AM   #9
Catfish

re life everywhere and not being a rare occurrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Thats just a hypothesis, still. Romantic, but speculative. [...]
To think that life forms are only to be found on one planet (earth) would be as terrifying for humanity as meeting extraterrestrial life. Whatever, the probability for being alone is infinitesimal scarce.

Radio waves are travelling quite slowly, it will take some more hundreds of years to reach the next planet, let alone an inhabited one.
If what remains of those signals is not totally garbled

a) the information sent has to be received
b) understood
c) interpreted
d) wake interest; if there is any sicentifically, socially or in regard to conquest, earth could get noticed, and maybe contacted.

But maybe no one is interested and earth is just another sh!thole among millions of more interesting places. There is just no reason to "fly" around and visit silent planets just so, far too much of those.
With FTL flight even reaching the ouskirts of this galaxy is impossible in a human lifetime. Travelling FTL should be possible though, but it would not be a "flight" at all.

I would also advise it is rather unwise to indisciminately broadcast all kinds of information. Some sentients might rather hide from predators, and with the latter i do not mean humanity.

Afaik only one science fiction author here ever mentioned the dark forest idea which is
1. All life desires to stay alive.
2. There is no way to know if other lifeforms can or will destroy you if given a chance.
3. Lacking assurances, the safest option for any species is to annihilate other life forms before they have a chance to do the same.

"Since all (lifeforms) [...] are risk-averse and willing to do anything to save themselves, contact of any kind is dangerous, as it almost assuredly would lead to the contacted race wiping out whoever was foolish enough to give away their location. This leads to all civilizations attempting to hide in radio silence"

Game theory, rather pessimistic.

https://bigthink.com/surprising-scie...om-aliens-yet/

Last edited by Catfish; 05-06-22 at 06:50 AM.
Old 05-06-22, 08:07 AM   #10
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Harkaman View Post
Sounds like a good sci-fi horror novel

But with 200+ billion galaxies I think the opposite, we'll find life everywhere, and despite what our mommies told us, we are not unique or special but actually pretty ordinary.

And why no great space armadas flying around, all of us are pretty planet bound most of us can't exist outside our native planet conditions. And its slooooow to travel trough space.
Reading the scenario imagined by Cixin Liu might make you believe less optimistic and more cautiously. Who said that life out there cares for us? Maybe it would prefer to see us as rivals or risks, and simply wipes us out, casually, like we snip away an ant.

I know all the probability arguments, and brought them myself often, years ago. But sober fact is that we still have not a single hint for life existing anywhere, not to mention intelligent, complex life. We only have our ideas, theories, imaginations.

And if there is intelligent life, it necessarily is more alien to us than any lifeform here on earth. We must want to take the implication from this simple truth much more into account before formulating expectations about how it would be like - expectations that are based on our human experiences and here on Earth.

Space is no hospitable place, its a dead, empty cold void, not to mention the outlook for its future based on some of our more "pessimistic" cosmological theories. No comfort in them at all.

We know nothing for sure. All we do is fantasizing so far. We take the earthly soap opera and project it into space.

We should be much more cautious and stay silent and put instead of wanting to make all cosmos aware of our existence and where we are. I think we are stupidly optimistic, as if we ask for getting exterminated. Better be cautious than sorry. After all, even on Earth "life" still means "fight for survival".
Old 05-10-22, 04:21 AM   #11
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Way back in 1952, there was the Miller–Urey experiment, an attempt to see if theories of life being spawned from a chemical process in the very far distant past of the earth was possible; it yielded interesting results...

Miller–Urey experiment:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miller...rey_experiment

I first heard about the Miller Experiment in the mid-60s from an article by someone who was raising an alarm over the continuation and/or expansion of the original experiment; the author was trying to put the kibosh on the experiment and those like it as a whole, mainly over concerns it was contrary to Christian belief in Creationism; it can be easily seen how a provable scientific basis for the creation of life would threaten the religious sectors; if life can be produced from mere chemical reactions, what the purpose of and power of deities?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post

Radio waves are travelling quite slowly, it will take some more hundreds of years to reach the next planet, let alone an inhabited one.
If what remains of those signals is not totally garbled

a) the information sent has to be received
b) understood
c) interpreted
d) wake interest; if there is any sicentifically, socially or in regard to conquest, earth could get noticed, and maybe contacted.

<<<BREAKING NEWS>>> <<<BREAKING NEWS>>> <<<BREAKING NEWS>>>

It has been learned a transmission intercepted from space has been decoded and translated:

]

<O>

Last edited by vienna; 05-10-22 at 04:52 AM.
vienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-22, 04:43 AM   #12
Catfish

^

<o> You are here again

The Miller experiments showed that life can indeed be created out of anorganic material, yes. Then there was Oparin and the coacervates, both those and more recent experiments show that "abiogenesis" is possible.

So there is no need to panspermia to get biological life going on planet earth, and sure it develops on other planets as well.

Still the existence of carbonaceous chondrites has to be put into the equation, those are "coal" meteorites that were not created on a planet, but carry amino acids obviously formed in space. Less than 5 percent of meteorites consist of this stuff, lots of them will burn by entering a dense atmosphere, but a tiny portion would be enough

Old 05-10-22, 03:29 PM   #13
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

Old 05-14-22, 02:32 AM   #14
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

There was a fumy, sort of 'throw away' joke, in the first episode of the John Lithgow comedy series, 3rd Rock From The Sun; the premise of the show was a quartet of aliens, in human guise, arrive in their spaceship (a Rambler classic convertible) on a mission to study the human race; at the end of the episode, the aliens are sitting in the Rambler going over what they've experienced on their first day; one of the aliens turns on the car's radio and the song Louie, Louie by the Kingsmen starts to play; they all turn towards to the radio listening intently as one of the aliens says "Oh listen! That's that radio signal Earth keeps beaming into the galaxies!"...

<O>
Old 05-18-22, 05:32 PM   #15
Catfish