Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-04-22, 04:49 PM   #1
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 0

Icon8 The Peter Principle at my office.

Many of you are familiar with what lead Dr. Laurence J. Peter to come up with his Peter Principle (if not it is easily googled)

Well I had a similar experience on Monday.

I work in DC.

On Monday we had some snow so naturally the world is ending.

First a little background
I work an early shift so I am at work from 0600-1500. I live about an hour away so I have to leave home at 0500, which means that I get up no later than 0400 (and more often between 0300-0400). So I tend to go to bed at around 1900. Such is my life.

On Sunday evening, I checked the weather forecast. Snow in the morning stopping in the afternoon but remaining cold. Got it.

On Monday I got up at about 0330 and walked the dog. It was raining/sleeting. When I left the house at 0445 it had just started to snow.
Got to work at 0550 and opened up the office. Even though I normally get to my office at about this time, I am rarely the first one there. We have people showing up at 0500 to work!
No one else shows up so I check the news to find out that the base is closed. Oh well, I am here and being by myself should allow me to get some big projects done that I can't do around other humans. Win for me.

At about 0830, I get a call from the deputy division chief. He tells me that the office is closed, why was I there? He told me that OPM published the closure at 2200 Sunday.
I told him that the announcement came about 4 hours after I went to bed and based on the weather forecast, it never occurred to me to check OPM site for closures. After over 30 years in DC, I still forget the snow panic.

He tells me that I have to leave work now. I pointed out that leaving now would force me to drive during the heavy snow at a time when the roads had not been plowed/treated. I wanted to stay in the office until that afternoon when the plows would have had a chance.
Unacceptable, I had to go home now.
Took me 2.5 hours to drive home and I spun out twice on the way!

I realize that it was my fault for not checking OPM that morning. So my driving in to the office was a mistake and against policy. Fair point against me.
But now that I was safe in the office, why order me to travel during the very conditions that the office was closed to avoid?

In the interests of my safety, I was ordered to leave a safe location and drive in unsafe conditions.

At some point sound judgement should enter into this. I was safe in the office and wanted to stay to do work. Why not let me stay there and leave when it was safer?

This reminded me of what Dr. Peter experienced when he was applying for that faculty position.
Old 01-05-22, 08:48 AM   #2
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Why not let you stay there and leave when it was safer? Because you need to change employers to someone who doesn't institute such unyielding policies that's why. It made no sense to order you to leave and put your safety at risk yet they didn't care about that, just their policy. So screw them, find another better employer. They are out there.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-22, 11:30 PM   #3
Gorpet
Still Searching

Downloads: 364

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapus View Post
Many of you are familiar with what lead Dr. Laurence J. Peter to come up with his Peter Principle (if not it is easily googled)

I work in DC.

I work an early shift so I am at work from 0600-1500. I live about an hour away so I have to leave home at 0500, which means that I get up no later than 0400 (and more often between 0300-0400). So I tend to go to bed at around 1900. Such is my life.

On Sunday evening, I checked the weather forecast. Snow in the morning stopping in the afternoon but remaining cold. Got it.

On Monday I got up at about 0330 and walked the dog. It was raining/sleeting. When I left the house at 0445 it had just started to snow.
Got to work at 0550 and opened up the office. Even though I normally get to my office at about this time, I am rarely the first one there. We have people showing up at 0500 to work!
No one else shows up so I check the news to find out that the base is closed. Oh well, I am here and being by myself should allow me to get some big projects done that I can't do around other humans. Win for me.

At about 0830, I get a call from the deputy division chief. He tells me that the office is closed, why was I there? He told me that OPM published the closure at 2200 Sunday.
I told him that the announcement came about 4 hours after I went to bed and based on the weather forecast, it never occurred to me to check OPM site for closures. After over 30 years in DC, I still forget the snow panic.

He tells me that I have to leave work now. I pointed out that leaving now would force me to drive during the heavy snow at a time when the roads had not been plowed/treated. I wanted to stay in the office until that afternoon when the plows would have had a chance.

I realize that it was my fault for not checking OPM that morning. So my driving in to the office was a mistake and against policy. Fair point against me.
But now that I was safe in the office, why order me to travel during the very conditions that the office was closed to avoid?

In the interests of my safety, I was ordered to leave a safe location and drive in unsafe conditions.

At some point sound judgement should enter into this. I was safe in the office and wanted to stay to do work. Why not let me stay there and leave when it was safer?

This reminded me of what Dr. Peter experienced when he was applying for that faculty position.
Was this in Washington, DC ? In the heart of Joe Biden's America
Gorpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-22, 01:06 PM   #4
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 246

Quote:

I work in DC.

You work at WNY? Or outside DC proper?
3catcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-22, 03:18 PM   #5
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

In DC
Old 01-10-22, 04:44 PM   #6
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
Why not let you stay there and leave when it was safer? Because you need to change employers to someone who doesn't institute such unyielding policies that's why. It made no sense to order you to leave and put your safety at risk yet they didn't care about that, just their policy. So screw them, find another better employer. They are out there.
Agreed. I'd just ignore the order to leave.
Old 01-10-22, 04:47 PM   #7
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post

Anarchist!

Several years ago I was told to drive to California mid winter.
Told my Boss I need new tires before I head that way. He said I'll get you new tires when you get there.
I told him straight up I was NOT moving the truck until tires were replaced.
Things were nearly slicks!
Guess who won?
Old 01-11-22, 03:21 PM   #8
Chad
ACE

Downloads: 60

I haven't heard of the Peter Principle, thanks for teaching me that

I'm the inverse Platapus, if there's even a chance of precipitation I'm begging to stay home and work remotely.
Old 01-12-22, 06:31 AM   #9
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post

DoD tends to frown on that sort of thing.
Old 01-12-22, 01:54 PM   #10
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Quote:
DoD tends to frown on that sort of thing.
I don't suppose you'd want to let yourself freeze to death on their doorstep just to make a point?

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-22, 02:21 PM   #11
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

All employers frown on that but you have to make the best decision for your safety.
Old 01-13-22, 06:59 AM   #12
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
I don't suppose you'd want to let yourself freeze to death on their doorstep just to make a point?

Too much paperwork.

Besides I have to request my death, in writing, 30 days prior for approval.