SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Indie Subsims > Battleship Command
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-09-20, 07:27 AM   #1
agathosdaimon
Planesman

Downloads: 142
Uploads: 0
Default supporter 2.1 demo feedback

hi Bracer

I have had a chance to play some of the supporter demo and i love the new additional scenarios

i have though forgotten how the guns work and so went ot play the convoy scenario but could not get the guns to point in the direction of the convoy ships at all

i switched to the top gun director and moved the viewfinder crosshairs over the approaching cruiser and adjust the range but the main guns are just firing off at a different angle altogether - what do i need to do to train them to where the viewfinder is looking?

also - when going to F1 to read the keys, is the game paused in automatically while i am on that screen? if not then i recommend it be so
also at times when i try to go out of ht emap screen or when i hit escape and then go back to the game, i am on the deck again in walking mode - i think you should have it that when you press 'M' for the map, - you can then press 'M' again and it will go back to the last position you were in

also - the M doesnt seem to work well, i try moving about but its very jerky and would actually let me fully look at where my ship was, something is wrong there with the mouse movement

the radar needs some labels for the dials and switches too.

also - how just that view with the double vision work? and when i do it, the game drops alot in framerates
agathosdaimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-20, 08:06 AM   #2
agathosdaimon
Planesman

okay the thread with the manual here explains some of the details i was after

- how do i determine the heading and speed manually of the target - what is the process there?
Old 05-09-20, 08:29 AM   #3
bracer
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by agathosdaimon View Post
hi Bracer
I have had a chance to play some of the supporter demo and i love the new additional scenarios

i have though forgotten how the guns work and so went ot play the convoy scenario but could not get the guns to point in the direction of the convoy ships at all

i switched to the top gun director and moved the viewfinder crosshairs over the approaching cruiser and adjust the range but the main guns are just firing off at a different angle altogether - what do i need to do to train them to where the viewfinder is looking?
Let me know if you figure it out with the manual, otherwise write again!
Just remember to enable the gun, connect it to the correct fire director and aim with the same director.

Quote:
also - when going to F1 to read the keys, is the game paused in automatically while i am on that screen? if not then i recommend it be so
also at times when i try to go out of ht emap screen or when i hit escape and then go back to the game, i am on the deck again in walking mode - i think you should have it that when you press 'M' for the map, - you can then press 'M' again and it will go back to the last position you were in
Yes, some work needs to be done here. Currently when using for example the map, it's recommended to press the station you want to go back to, for instance 1 for walking mode, G for fire director and so on...

Quote:
also - the M doesnt seem to work well, i try moving about but its very jerky and would actually let me fully look at where my ship was, something is wrong there with the mouse movement
Yup, sadly I didn't manage to fix the map issues before the demo. It's luckily not needed yet.

Quote:
the radar needs some labels for the dials and switches too.
Agreed! It shall be fixed.

Quote:
also - how just that view with the double vision work? and when i do it, the game drops alot in framerates
You use the A/D keys to set the focus, when the target is in focus then you have the correct distance. It's called a stereoscopic rangefinder.

Sadly it lags because of the way water is rendered. When the water gets doubled, it's simply too much.
I am currently working on a new way of rendering the water which should save alot of vertexes. That should solve the lag!

Quote:
okay the thread with the manual here explains some of the details i was after

- how do i determine the heading and speed manually of the target - what is the process there?
This is procedure is not yet implemented. I need to program some AI help here, unless I fix the map first. So for now, you have the guesstimate :-)
Check the angle of bow of the target and set it using the dials.

My WIP Battleship simulator, Battleship Command: Scharnhorst
Want to support the project on Patreon? Here's the link!
bracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-20, 10:28 AM   #4
agathosdaimon
Planesman

okay thanks Bracer

i went back in and played the scenario again and despite the HMS Belfast getting to about 8km range and taking out my A turret, i actually landed hits on it and sank it - satisfying when it happens!

the amount of dial fiddling though makes trying to hit the targets at longer quite hard, especially as the time it takes me to adjust dials, things will be incorrect again - it would be good if there was a way to lock the turret position relative to the target, because having to make other dial changes means it loses place againa nd so one constantly feels at square one.

also the dials for change the target bearing and speed are difficult to move and often just a stuck moving back and forth on a point - perhaps you could make it possible fro the mouse wheel to be able to turn the dial when you hover the mouse cursor over the dial - just being able to use the scroll wheel would be very helpful and reduce the feeling of having to fight the controls

for teh sterescopic viewer i tried using and still i just couldnt get it to work - when looking at something around 20 kms away for example, - i switch it on and there is no other doubel anywhere for me to try and adjust - - using the Radar actually i found most helpful
-though what does the scale dial for the radar alter?

lastly something broke in the mission at some point - after i sank the belfast i went after teh 2 convoy ships but they then disappeared, even though they were right in front of me and i was getting closer to them according to the radar - also the splash effects of my guns disappeared too.
i then went to end the mission and the gun director screen remained, with the external view of my ship in the viewfinder. i thought this odd so went back into the mission rather than exit, and now the gun director screen is stuck on screen and i am in walking mode , and weirdly the ship guns seem to be just firing on their own. (see the attached image)

i ended the mission and in the main menu, the - news box had all my key presses in it in front of your text about the bonus scenarios (i think all my key presses while the gun director was stuck on screen)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fire control portable edition.jpg (95.1 KB, 7 views)
Old 05-09-20, 11:03 AM   #5
bracer
Grey Wolf

Quote:
okay thanks Bracer

i went back in and played the scenario again and despite the HMS Belfast getting to about 8km range and taking out my A turret, i actually landed hits on it and sank it - satisfying when it happens!
Great!! This is the kind of gameplay I try to aim for.

The accuracy of these battleships was low (early in the war atleast), and usually battles could last an hour before it ended, and it might end without anyone getting sunk.

Quote:
the amount of dial fiddling though makes trying to hit the targets at longer quite hard, especially as the time it takes me to adjust dials, things will be incorrect again - it would be good if there was a way to lock the turret position relative to the target, because having to make other dial changes means it loses place againa nd so one constantly feels at square one.

also the dials for change the target bearing and speed are difficult to move and often just a stuck moving back and forth on a point - perhaps you could make it possible fro the mouse wheel to be able to turn the dial when you hover the mouse cursor over the dial - just being able to use the scroll wheel would be very helpful and reduce the feeling of having to fight the controls
I have obviously been playing with the fire director ALOT, so me myself think I found a fairly effective way to use the interface in combination with keys. But that doesn't have to be true for a new user of the software. So your input here is very valuable!
The knobs definitly shouldn't be hard to turn, I will try adding the mousewheel to control it.
Then there is the gameplay aspect, my vision is that the gunnery should be one of the main challenges of the sim.
So that hitting a target really feels rewarding and requires skill.
Here we need to find a balance between advanced and playable.
There is a few planned functions not yet implemented which migth be what you want. There will be a "lock target" function, but it will be based on your inputs, so if you have the wrong heading or speed of the target, you will see the aim wander off. But if the values are correct then it will be easy and you can simply press fire and just do fine adjustments.

Quote:
for teh sterescopic viewer i tried using and still i just couldnt get it to work - when looking at something around 20 kms away for example, - i switch it on and there is no other doubel anywhere for me to try and adjust - - using the Radar actually i found most helpful
-though what does the scale dial for the radar alter?
Hmm, try turning the rangefinder on, before increasing the distance.
It is difficult to use at big distances, that's why the radar was superior!

The scale dial will increase/decrease the span of the radar screen, now it displays 1km. But it is not enabled yet because of a bug.

Quote:
lastly something broke in the mission at some point - after i sank the belfast i went after teh 2 convoy ships but they then disappeared, even though they were right in front of me and i was getting closer to them according to the radar - also the splash effects of my guns disappeared too.
i then went to end the mission and the gun director screen remained, with the external view of my ship in the viewfinder. i thought this odd so went back into the mission rather than exit, and now the gun director screen is stuck on screen and i am in walking mode , and weirdly the ship guns seem to be just firing on their own. (see the attached image)

i ended the mission and in the main menu, the - news box had all my key presses in it in front of your text about the bonus scenarios (i think all my key presses while the gun director was stuck on screen)
Oh, yeah, that's a few bugs I need to check. The HUD being stuck can be solved by pressing the 1 key.

The disapearing ships on the other hand is nothing I experienced. Did you see them disapear?

Old 05-09-20, 12:29 PM   #6
agathosdaimon
Planesman

i didnt see the ships disappear, but they were gone - i was following htem and closing the range and iafter i was trying to the use the stereoscopic viewer again, but then back to normal viewing and the ships were nowhere - even though i was llooking exactly at the location the radar is telling me
Old 05-09-20, 03:36 PM   #7
bracer
Grey Wolf

Very odd! I will look into it.
If it happens again, take alook if the ships ended up behind you. Or rather, if camera got rotated and looks backwards.

Old 05-09-20, 08:29 PM   #8
agathosdaimon
Planesman

okay i will check when i play it again later, though it may not even happen again - i feel though it ha something to do with the UI screw up - i dont know how its all programmed, but is there a layer in the game world in which all the activity ships and splash effects happen?, because i did pan around for ships but saw nothing and no gun splashes either
Old 05-10-20, 04:00 AM   #9
bracer
Grey Wolf

Let me know if you do!

I will look into it, I have some idea of what might have happened.
There is no layer except for the stereoscopic overlay, which might have caused some problem.