Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-23-12, 10:04 AM   #1
Capt Black
Death by Spartan

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 0
Default Tips on contact acquisition in Baltic

Ive been prowling the Baltic on search patterns (manual and Trevally Script search patterns) and have not so much as heard a prop turning. Any tips on how to increase my contact success rate?
Capt Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-12, 11:28 AM   #2
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeirBallz View Post
Ive been prowling the Baltic on search patterns (manual and Trevally Script search patterns) and have not so much as heard a prop turning. Any tips on how to increase my contact success rate?
Are you playing the OHII's Baltic Operations mission?

If so, I wouldn't be surprised at all not being able to pick any Polish contact.

In real life from about 29 to 30 Aug 1939, three U-boats, U-31, U-32 and U-35, had been waiting off Gdynia (located in the Gulf of Danzig and base of the Polish Navy at that time) for the start of the hostilities.
When it became clear that the 3 destroyers that they should have gone after (ORP Burza, ORP Blyskawica, and ORP Grom) had already been secretly withdrawn to UK in the context of Operation Peking, they were called back at base in Kiel and Wilhelmshaven.

In the immediate aftermath of the German declaration of war on Poland, (1 Sep), 3 Polish warships were sunk on 3 Sept (the gunboat ORP General Haller, the minelayer ORP Gryf, and the destroyer ORP Wicher), and 2 more on 14 Sep (the destroyers ORP Czapla and ORP Jaskolka), but all of them by Lutwaffe bombers. As far as I know, no Polish merchant ship was either sunk by any U-boat.

As you can see no mutch action for Ubootwaffe in the Baltic. Had Trevally replenished it with Polish targets, he would have distorted the history but, as this is a game and not a strict historical reconstruction, I would patrol anyway the area between the Oresund strait and the island of Bornholm for late warships on route to England.

EDIT

P.S @ Trevally: if you happen to read this post, I would change the mission requirements from sinking 4 ships to sinking (or even, if possible, just reconing) 1-2 warships.
Also, it would be cool if you could modify its dates to something like 31/08 - 15/09/39. We should start our campaign in the middle of the Baltic, (similarly to the vanilla tutorial mission) somewhere off Memel, and waiting for the start of the ostilities before taking action.

Last edited by gap; 09-23-12 at 12:04 PM.
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-12, 11:52 AM   #3
Trevally.
Navy Seal

Downloads: 166
Uploads: 28

Old 09-23-12, 12:54 PM   #4
Capt Black
Death by Spartan

Downloads: 15

Great Intel. Thank you.

In fact after I made the post I caught a Hog Island Type A freighter in the pinch area Trevally is showing.
Capt Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-12, 12:59 PM   #5
Trevally.
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
P.S @ Trevally: if you happen to read this post, I would change the mission requirements from sinking 4 ships to sinking (or even, if possible, just reconing) 1-2 warships.
Also, it would be cool if you could modify its dates to something like 31/08 - 15/09/39. We should start our campaign in the middle of the Baltic, (similarly to the vanilla tutorial mission) somewhere off Memel, and waiting for the start of the ostilities before taking action.
Hi Gap

Yes - this sounds like a good idea (realism where possible)
I will change this in patch 1 (patch 1 may soon be a new version)
The campaign can be set st start during the tutorial so as soon as it has finished and you are on your way to Kiel - the campaign has started

So I would encourage everyone to play the tutorial with OHII the ctds with it has been fixed for some time now
Old 09-23-12, 01:22 PM   #6
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevally. View Post
Hi Gap

Yes - this sounds like a good idea (realism where possible)
I will change this in patch 1 (patch 1 may soon be a new version)
The campaign can be set st start during the tutorial so as soon as it has finished and you are on your way to Kiel - the campaign has started

So I would encourage everyone to play the tutorial with OHII the ctds with it has been fixed for some time now
Hi Trevally

Wouldn't be possible to get rid of the ridiculous merchant sinking requirements of the tutorial? If possible, I would entirely replace the tutorial with an improved version of your Baltic Operation mission, instead of linking them together.
Old 09-23-12, 02:25 PM   #7
Trevally.
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
Hi Trevally

Wouldn't be possible to get rid of the ridiculous merchant sinking requirements of the tutorial? If possible, I would entirely replace the tutorial with an improved version of your Baltic Operation mission, instead of linking them together.

I can change some of it

The cinematics, objective names and some actions would have to stay as they are scripted into the mission:-

Code:
def ShowNextObjectives( objective ):
 name = objective.ObjectiveName
        if name == "ReachObservationPeriscopeObjective":
  Mission.SetObjectiveAsHidden( GetObjectiveByName( "RotateObservationPeriscopeObjective" ), False )
        if name == "RotateObservationPeriscopeObjective":
  Mission.SetObjectiveAsHidden( GetObjectiveByName( "LockOnFirstShipObjective" ), False )
 if name == "LockOnFirstShipObjective":
  Mission.SetObjectiveAsHidden( GetObjectiveByName( "FireTorpedoObjective" ), False )
 if name == "FireTorpedoObjective":
  Mission.SetObjectiveAsHidden( GetObjectiveByName( "SelectNextTorpedoTubeObjective" ), False )
 #
 if name == "Sink the ship or fire all 4 torpedoes":
  #Mission.SetObjectiveAsHidden( GetObjectiveByName( "Sink 2 more ships to complete the objective" ), False )#it's done by triggers 
  Mission.SetObjectiveAsHidden( GetObjectiveByName( "OpenTAIObjective" ), False )
 if name == "OpenTAIObjective":
  Mission.SetObjectiveAsHidden( GetObjectiveByName( "PlotCourseToSecondShipObjective" ), False )
 if name == "PlotCourseToSecondShipObjective":
  Mission.SetObjectiveAsHidden( GetObjectiveByName( "Reach second ship area" ), False )
 if name == "Sink 2 more ships to complete the objective":
  Mission.SetObjectiveAsHidden( GetObjectiveByName( "Dock at Kiel" ), False )
  Mission.SetObjectiveAsHidden( GetObjectiveByName( "OpenNavigationMapObjective" ), False )
 if name == "OpenNavigationMapObjective":
  Mission.SetObjectiveAsHidden( GetObjectiveByName( "PlotCourseToKielObjective" ), False )
 if name == "PlotCourseToKielObjective":
  Mission.SetObjectiveAsHidden( GetObjectiveByName( "SetTimeCompressionTo1024Objective" ), False )
 if name == "SetTimeCompressionTo1024Objective":
  Mission.SetObjectiveAsHidden( GetObjectiveByName( "ReachKielObjective" ), False )
 ShowFeedbackForAllObjectives()
But these are set within an mis file and I can change that.
So we would need to come up with a tutorial that had the following points:-
  1. goto obs scope
  2. rotate scope
  3. lock on target ship
  4. fire torps
  5. sink ships or fire x4 torps
  6. open TIA
  7. plot course (set waypoint)
  8. sink 2 ships
  9. use nav map
  10. plot course to Kiel
  11. set tcx 1024
  12. reach Kiel
So many of these things are fixed, but some can be changed:-
  1. Targets
  2. map zones (possitions)
  3. more or less units - any type
Old 09-23-12, 03:44 PM   #8
Targor Avelany
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 225

heh... I was going to mention something.
With not able to return to Keil, I have been roaming around and got myself 28k ton sunk.

Also, I'll post later, found some hilarious town "on the water"
Targor Avelany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-12, 04:00 PM   #9
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
I can change some of it

The cinematics, objective names and some actions would have to stay as they are scripted into the mission:-

Code:
def ShowNextObjectives( objective ):
 name = objective.ObjectiveName
        if name == "ReachObservationPeriscopeObjective":
  Mission.SetObjectiveAsHidden( GetObjectiveByName( "RotateObservationPeriscopeObjective" ), False )
        if name == "RotateObservationPeriscopeObjective":
  Mission.SetObjectiveAsHidden( GetObjectiveByName( "LockOnFirstShipObjective" ), False )
 if name == "LockOnFirstShipObjective":
  Mission.SetObjectiveAsHidden( GetObjectiveByName( "FireTorpedoObjective" ), False )
 if name == "FireTorpedoObjective":
  Mission.SetObjectiveAsHidden( GetObjectiveByName( "SelectNextTorpedoTubeObjective" ), False )
 #
 if name == "Sink the ship or fire all 4 torpedoes":
  #Mission.SetObjectiveAsHidden( GetObjectiveByName( "Sink 2 more ships to complete the objective" ), False )#it's done by triggers 
  Mission.SetObjectiveAsHidden( GetObjectiveByName( "OpenTAIObjective" ), False )
 if name == "OpenTAIObjective":
  Mission.SetObjectiveAsHidden( GetObjectiveByName( "PlotCourseToSecondShipObjective" ), False )
 if name == "PlotCourseToSecondShipObjective":
  Mission.SetObjectiveAsHidden( GetObjectiveByName( "Reach second ship area" ), False )
 if name == "Sink 2 more ships to complete the objective":
  Mission.SetObjectiveAsHidden( GetObjectiveByName( "Dock at Kiel" ), False )
  Mission.SetObjectiveAsHidden( GetObjectiveByName( "OpenNavigationMapObjective" ), False )
 if name == "OpenNavigationMapObjective":
  Mission.SetObjectiveAsHidden( GetObjectiveByName( "PlotCourseToKielObjective" ), False )
 if name == "PlotCourseToKielObjective":
  Mission.SetObjectiveAsHidden( GetObjectiveByName( "SetTimeCompressionTo1024Objective" ), False )
 if name == "SetTimeCompressionTo1024Objective":
  Mission.SetObjectiveAsHidden( GetObjectiveByName( "ReachKielObjective" ), False )
 ShowFeedbackForAllObjectives()
But these are set within an mis file and I can change that.
So we would need to come up with a tutorial that had the following points:-
  1. goto obs scope
  2. rotate scope
  3. lock on target ship
  4. fire torps
  5. sink ships or fire x4 torps
  6. open TIA
  7. plot course (set waypoint)
  8. sink 2 ships
  9. use nav map
  10. plot course to Kiel
  11. set tcx 1024
  12. reach Kiel
So many of these things are fixed, but some can be changed:-
  1. Targets
  2. map zones (possitions)
  3. more or less units - any type
I don't get it Trevally.

Since the tutorial mission is scripted, can't its script be changed as you did with regular campaigns? Besides being scripted in the mis file, are the fixed requirements hardcoded somewhere in the game code?
Old 09-23-12, 04:14 PM   #10
Trevally.
Navy Seal

There is a tutorial.py file that puts all the parts of the tutorial together.
So this will control the game during the tutorial - it will restict the UI and bring parts of it back as you progress, also it will control the cut scenes and finallt the missions.

This missions part I can change a lot
The scenes - are liked by many and should stay
The restictions to the UI can be removed (I have a .py with this)

Old 09-23-12, 06:52 PM   #11
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
There is a tutorial.py file that puts all the parts of the tutorial together.
So this will control the game during the tutorial - it will restict the UI and bring parts of it back as you progress, also it will control the cut scenes and finallt the missions.

This missions part I can change a lot
This is the part that matters more than the rest. Can't you at least remove the torpedo firing/ship sinking requirements?

As for plotting course, switching it from Kiel to Gdynia (assuming that our starting position is somewhere off Memel) or around Oresund strait's entrance, would be enough. Once there, we would be given the real mission's objectives. Anyway, by keeping the plotting course requirements we would be forced to start the campaign without real navigation so, if possible, it would be better to get rid of it.

Talking about the rest of UI interaction requirements (scope, TC, TAI, Nav map, etc.), I think we can live with it, if we just have to.

Quote:
The scenes - are liked by many and should stay
IRC there are two scenes: the intro, where the captain talks to you, and the scene in Kiel's bunker. If we don't change tutorial's starting date, the only inconsistency I see is in the intro scene, where a watchman is warning you and the captain about the presence of enemy ships, whereas there wouldn't be any. But I am sure that a closer look with the periscope will reveal that they were just friendly units mistaken for enemies due to an excess of zeal

Quote:
The restictions to the UI can be removed (I have a .py with this)
Kill them all!!!
Old 09-24-12, 11:47 AM   #12
GT182
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 658

Won't the Reduced Mission Tonnage v02 mod work for OHII, to drop the Sink 50,000 and 100,000 tons requirements?

No Borders, No Language, No Culture =s No Country

I'm a Deplorable, and proud of it.
GT182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-12, 12:25 PM   #13
Trevally.
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
Won't the Reduced Mission Tonnage v02 mod work for OHII, to drop the Sink 50,000 and 100,000 tons requirements?
No - No campaign mod will work with another unless it is written for it.
So overwritting any campaign files will break the campaign.

OHII v2 does not tell you any tonnage to sink (tonnage is hidden), just to patrol areas. Where your patrol is a good one and you sink ships - progress is good
Old 09-24-12, 12:31 PM   #14
Targor Avelany
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 225

Quote:
No - No campaign mod will work with another unless it is written for it.
So overwritting any campaign files will break the campaign.

OHII v2 does not tell you any tonnage to sink (tonnage is hidden), just to patrol areas. Where your patrol is a good one and you sink ships - progress is good
I think you did an amazingly good job with coming as close as possible to realistic or SH3 style patrols with the tools and engine as it is right now.
Targor Avelany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-12, 12:35 PM   #15
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
I think tonnage requirements are still there. What changes is that you will be unaware of them, since B.d.U. won't be giving you exact tonnage figures anymore. Unless I am very much mistaken, this is surely true for campaign requirements.

Missions and secondary missions are a bit more flexible though. IIRC they can be set to be passed if you reach a given area, if you drop a spy or supplies within a given area, if you recon a given area or unit, if you stay within a given area for a given time, etc. Indeed, their requirements can include as well sinking a specific tonnage, sinking a given numebr of units (possibly restricting the type of valid targets), or sinking a specific unit.

Tonnage sunk during each mission should count for accomplishing campaign requirements. In addition, missions can be set to give you reward or not once you pass them, and passing/failing them can be used as a trigger. Trevally uses many hidden and rewardless, missions for triggering events in game.

Anyway, take my statements with the benefit of the doubt, and wait for Trevally's answer for further details and confirmation/corrections on the above information.