SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-16-11, 09:58 AM   #1
Pedrelare
Swabbie

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0
GWX/ Warship MOD 3.0 problems

Hello guys, my name is Pedro and I'm new here in the forums. I mainly registered here to get news about mods for SH3 and find some cool mods. So far the best MOD for me is the Warship MOD 3.0. But I have some problems with it.

The main problem is those damm sailors on the "watch tower" that can't spot an airplane even if they have already dropped the bombs on us and set the ship on fire and when he is 2km away from the ship the dumb WO gives a warning that he has spotted an airplane, if he even find the plane. My only luck is when the plane is facing the first FlaK 3.6cm gun and I can luckly kill him before he drops the bombs. But for that I must leave the Stealth meter on, or I would keep getting bombed without even knowing where it came from.

Anyone has a solution for this problem? Thank you very much.
Pedrelare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-11, 10:18 AM   #2
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

Can't help with your problem, but I can welcome you aboard
Old 03-16-11, 01:09 PM   #3
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Downloads: 81

Few questions...

You do have GWX installed yes?

How new is your crew?

Do you have an officer on the bridge? Do you have a full watch set, or are you manning the flak gun all the time?

What year is it? Late in the war, the aircrews get better and they discover the magic of radar. Most of the battle evading airpower is spotting it first, and being able to dive. If they are seeing/detecting you first (and possibly BVR), they could be on top of you before your crew notices them.

Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-11, 02:26 PM   #4
Pedrelare
Swabbie

Yes GWX Gold with Lite Harbor Traffic and 16km atmosphere mods and WSM 3.0 (GeI), all my crew have at least 1 year in war experience, and they have all the possible medals that I can give them, except wounded badge. My officer is on the bridge all time including 2 petty officers with watch ability and 2 more sailors.

And I can't dive, since I'm using Warship MOD 3.0 as it's show in the title.

I was using Bismarck class battleship, and right after I noticed the aircraft I put all sailors manning the flak and main/secondary guns (since some secondary guns are dual purpose). And even with "full" efficiency on the "watch tower" they couldn't spot the planes very well, as I said, only after they are very close or after they had released all their bombs at the ship. Reinstalling the game and the GWX do not work.

And the year is 1944, January. I even tried making one more petty officer with watch ability but it just doesn't work out. The only way I found to effectively find planes was on a campaign that I made to 1945's where I installed a radar signal warning ( I don't know the name of the equipement ) then I could spot the radar signals of the planes and then the stupid WO started finding the bloody planes before they could screw my patrol.

I'm playing normaly right now with u-boats because have to return all the time to the harbor because I keep getting bombed all time by planes and flooding isn't that realy fun. If I could at least fight back then I would really enjoy the mod. And I really dont know what happens that at least one of the bombs always manage to hit me close to the water line. That pisses me off because I keep flooding. I just feel lucky that they don't have torpedoes.

Hope someone can help me out. Thanks for replying Herr-Berbunch and Gargamel.
Old 03-16-11, 03:00 PM   #5
Gereke
A-ganger

Downloads: 61

I've used WSM 3.0 quite a bit, and I've experienced the aircraft spotting issue a few times. Perhaps the ships structure itself blocks lookouts from being able to see aircraft. The watch members standing within the bridge itself would be the most affected, leaving only the crewmen out on the bridge wings able to spot. Not 100% because I'm not savvy enough with the mechanics of the game's AI spotting behavior.

The only ships I noticed this problem with were the Battleships and Heavy Crusiers. Never had an issue while Captaining one of the Destroyers.
Gereke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-11, 03:28 PM   #6
Pedrelare
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gereke View Post
I've used WSM 3.0 quite a bit, and I've experienced the aircraft spotting issue a few times. Perhaps the ships structure itself blocks lookouts from being able to see aircraft. The watch members standing within the bridge itself would be the most affected, leaving only the crewmen out on the bridge wings able to spot. Not 100% because I'm not savvy enough with the mechanics of the game's AI spotting behavior.

The only ships I noticed this problem with were the Battleships and Heavy Crusiers. Never had an issue while Captaining one of the Destroyers.
Yes I thought that would be the problem too, but sometimes the planes come from the from of the ship and the watchmen still dont spot them.

I will try playing more with destroyers and maybe with the Graf Zepellin and see if it is true. Thanks for the help Gereke.
Old 03-16-11, 06:53 PM   #7
Patkins1983
Watch

I have had the blind watch crew problems with this mod.

Be nice if I could play it at the mo but it hasnt gone well on my new windows 7 set up. Any ideas why I have no guns at all. Kind of spoils it not being able to shoot at a thing when in command of the Bismark.
Patkins1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-11, 07:17 PM   #8
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Downloads: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedrelare View Post

And I can't dive, since I'm using Warship MOD 3.0 as it's show in the title.

Gotcha.... my bad!

Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-11, 10:19 PM   #9
Pedrelare
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patkins1983 View Post
I have had the blind watch crew problems with this mod.

Be nice if I could play it at the mo but it hasnt gone well on my new windows 7 set up. Any ideas why I have no guns at all. Kind of spoils it not being able to shoot at a thing when in command of the Bismark.
I had the exactaly same problem, then I found out that I only had activated the "GeI" mod only. To make it work it must have "WSM 3.0" AND "GeI" mods activated at the same time.

When you try to activate the "GeI" mod some message appears that the files have been already modified by "WSM 3.0" mod, but just accept it anyway. And then join the same pain that I have being bombed by planes that the stupid WO and the entire crew can't see.

Hope this has helped ya.

More one thing: Anyone that has ever played with the Warship MOD 3.0 had issues with the ship graphics? My Type 1936 entire ship and the Deutschland secondary turres looks like they were made of scrap metal, literally, and they forgot to paint it.

It's a pain to see such a beautiful ship as the Deutschland with those crap turrets. I will post a SS later and maybe somebody can help me out. (Reinstalling doesn't work)
Old 01-16-13, 12:13 AM   #10
PhilipWebb059
Watch

Downloads: 107

Hello;
Thanks Chinese U-47 for the great mod. I have d/l both versions 1.4 and GWX, I d/l GWX 3.0 last year and it's - intense. I whole new twist to the Uboot war. I have managed to "survive" to Jan of 1944 in an old Type VIIC.

Anyway, Warship mod 3.0 is just great fun. Just one small problem I am having with both versions- I can save the patrol but I cannot seem to run it after a save and exit. Any ideas on this problem?
Thanks, I would appreciate any info
PhilipWebb059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-13, 05:53 PM   #11
Alfamemnon
Watch

Downloads: 15

Warship mod still needs work. With large warships such as the battleships, I can hear the violent leak sound (that is familiar in vanilla game after, for example, depth charging) as if the ship was damaged all the way from the very first second.
Alfamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-13, 06:40 PM   #12
Alfamemnon
Watch

If the mod developer reads these posts, I have even more suggestions for a possible 4.0:

When I was just outside Kiel, I got alerts for ships. I manned the guns and gave permission to fire. It did not occur to me my crew could open fire at FRIENDLIES. I was happy thinking I had sunk an Elco Torpedo Boat and two British, French or Polish destroyers. When I returned to Kiel, I was notified I had sunk two German destroyers and an S-boot (aka E-boat) with horrendous renown loss. Friendly fire incidents like this could never have happened in vanilla.

1) Make the crewmembers much less trigger happy!!! (or did I do something wrong while installing the mod?)

2) Whenever you have a commerce raider, make it so that they cover their guns and hoist a Spanish or Turkish etc etc flag whenever nobody is manning AA or deck guns. That should mean Allied ships would see you as a neutral merchant marine ship and would not molest you.

3) Make just one mod where every uboat is replaced by some surface vessel making it possible to experience the joy of advancing in campaign game from a pathetic minesweeper or S-boot to a Bismarck class battleship. Somehow like this: S-boot, minesweeper, Z-destroyer, commerce raider, some light cruiser, Hipper class heavy cruiser, Scarnhorst class battlecruiser, Bismarck class Battleship (feel free to add any ship to this list. You get my basic idea). The bigger the ship, the more renown purchasing it would cost and every ship would have equipment separately installable in base before mission such as bigger guns, better radar etc. Leave out Zeppelin class carrier because aircraft carriers cannot launch planes in the game anyway so they are just a target for everyone.

4) Make hydrophones able to work even on the surface. It would be realistic: Prinz Eugens hydrophone gave that cruiser and the accompanying battleship Bismarck an early warning they were being shadowed by Prince of Wales and Hood and even a hint what direction sould their bridge watchmen concentrate on.

5) Implement a crows nest (still in use at least during WW2, not just medieval times) and make one of the bridge watchmen climb there. He sould spot things from an extended range.

6) Make enemy ships AI behave towards you according to what kind of ship you have instead of always thinking you have an uboat. For example, if you face an enemy destroyer with a pocket battleship, the enemy would either try to get away at maximum speed or make a heroic attempt to get to range and good position to launch torpedoes (this should be dangerous even to battleships)

7) Make enemy planes deal with you as a surface ship. Where you would in vanilla get Sunderlands and Catalinas with depth charges, you should get Swordfishes and Avengers with torpedoes and Skuas with bombs instead. This should be a significant threat to any surface ship especially at the end of the war. For this reason decent AA equipment would not be a waste of renown.
Old 01-23-13, 06:38 AM   #13
Succat
Torpedoman

Downloads: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfamemnon View Post
If the mod developer reads these posts[...]
Better put it here he is active again since about 1 week...

Succat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-13, 01:56 PM   #14
Alfamemnon
Watch

I already sent those suggestions to him via private message because I found his account. Says not everything I suggested is possible...such as enemies AI will always think you are a submarine and behave accordingly (unfortunately, devs did not make the game absolutely mod friendly).

Tags
mod, problem, warship