SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

View Poll Results: Which version of TSWSM are you looking forward to?
Version 1 156 20.77%
Version 2 79 10.52%
Version 3 29 3.86%
Version 4 77 10.25%
All of them 488 64.98%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 751. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-29-08, 01:32 AM   #16
gimpy117
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 108
Uploads: 0

version 2

Japan VS. U.S. is much more epic than everybody else VS. Germany on the open seas.
Old 11-29-08, 02:27 AM   #17
Sledgehammer427
PacWagon

Location: Drinking coffee and staring at trees in Massachusetts
Downloads: 280

Yes...but we here in the TSWSM are looking into working the "highlights" of both theaters, like, the channel run, Bismarck sortie, and maybe throwing in little speedbumps here and there, or create a "what would you do?" kinda situation where you teleport into a Surface Ship's captains spot and take over where all those book you read left off

I dunno, i just Model/skin the poor lil ships
V-boat Nutcase - Need supplies? Japanese garrison on a small island in the way? Just give us a call! D4C!
Sledgehammer427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-08, 06:01 AM   #18
tonibamestre
中国水兵

Downloads: 82

I am absolutely impressed guys.This combined mods are going to be a great job in order to complete a sim like SH4.Now we ll see what we can expect from SH5,currently under development.Im wondering guys if in a future not too long several mods like these can be developed involving the postwar era.Imagine surface vessels like Belknap CG class,Leahy,Truxtun,Virginia,DDs like Charles F Adams,Spruance,......the refited and overhauled Missoury BB,.....ufffff,well,great mods like the ones under development covering the era lets say from 1960 to 1990 ?

What your opinnion is about this stuff? Is it a dream of mine?
tonibamestre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-08, 10:52 AM   #19
ivank
The Old Man

Downloads: 284

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonibamestre
I am absolutely impressed guys.This combined mods are going to be a great job in order to complete a sim like SH4.Now we ll see what we can expect from SH5,currently under development.Im wondering guys if in a future not too long several mods like these can be developed involving the postwar era.Imagine surface vessels like Belknap CG class,Leahy,Truxtun,Virginia,DDs like Charles F Adams,Spruance,......the refited and overhauled Missoury BB,.....ufffff,well,great mods like the ones under development covering the era lets say from 1960 to 1990 ?

What your opinnion is about this stuff? Is it a dream of mine?
SHH!! your not supposed to know about that!!!:p

Me and Shammer are talking about that know, but thats only after a long break and the 4 other versions are finalized

Leutnant z. S. David U. Ziegler
U-105 IXB On Patrol 1

ivank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-08, 03:17 PM   #20
tonibamestre
中国水兵

Default Walk through

Coming back to the 4 versions development,a nice feature would be the capability to walk through the visible areas and stations like Ship Simulator 2008 does,implementing some corridors and stairs to reach other decks etc.This way tou could visit from bow to stern while cruising for example.
Old 11-29-08, 05:57 PM   #21
Sledgehammer427
PacWagon

Location: Drinking coffee and staring at trees in Massachusetts
Downloads: 280

well, I do that with ROW/PE4, I'm sure you know it allows you to walk the decks...
V-boat Nutcase - Need supplies? Japanese garrison on a small island in the way? Just give us a call! D4C!
Sledgehammer427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-08, 12:02 PM   #22
tonibamestre
中国水兵

Hey Ivank,a feature that would be interesting for all this mods is to implement ocean and seas realistic streams,capability to control vessel anchors(at least one),and some kind of external lighting.
Old 12-02-08, 03:53 PM   #23
ivank
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonibamestre
Hey Ivank,a feature that would be interesting for all this mods is to implement ocean and seas realistic streams,capability to control vessel anchors(at least one),and some kind of external lighting.
I would love to have currents but I dont know how to make them. If you know how or know someone who does please tell me.

As for anchors, we are implementing at least one bow and stern anchor, and for external lights I would like that too, but again I dont know how.

U-105 IXB On Patrol 1

Old 12-02-08, 05:14 PM   #24
tater
Navy Seal

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 2

BTW, you have, "-Playable Navy's:"

The plural of Navy is Navies.

(sorry, spent to long copy editing back in the day)

Looks cool, though. ANother nit would be that I'd call the KM a "Minor Navy" like Italy and France. The two 1st tier (fully capable of all naval warfare, including replenishment at sea, etc) navies were really the RN and USN, followed by the IJN which was probably the only 2d tier navy (fully capable, as the 1st tier but lower in numbers of combatants). The 3d tier would be all the rest of the navies. Course really Italy and the MarNat were actually fully capable since they had operational CVs. That would make the KM and everyone else 4th tier

Last edited by tater; 12-02-08 at 05:20 PM.
tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-08, 06:35 PM   #25
ivank
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by tater
BTW, you have, "-Playable Navy's:"

The plural of Navy is Navies.

(sorry, spent to long copy editing back in the day)

Looks cool, though. ANother nit would be that I'd call the KM a "Minor Navy" like Italy and France. The two 1st tier (fully capable of all naval warfare, including replenishment at sea, etc) navies were really the RN and USN, followed by the IJN which was probably the only 2d tier navy (fully capable, as the 1st tier but lower in numbers of combatants). The 3d tier would be all the rest of the navies. Course really Italy and the MarNat were actually fully capable since they had operational CVs. That would make the KM and everyone else 4th tier
lol my mistake will fix. KM is a major navy in the sense of number/size of battles and since Germany was a major part of the war

U-105 IXB On Patrol 1

Old 12-03-08, 12:02 AM   #26
tater
Navy Seal

That's OK, I had too many beers to write "too" instead of "to," myself

Self-pwnage, gotta love it :rotfl:
Old 12-03-08, 12:06 AM   #27
tater
Navy Seal

Regarding major surface naval battles... still not seeing it. WThere were really not many engagements of surface forces (not counting minor combatant classes). There are single surface engagements in the PTO with more shots fired I bet than all the KM surface battles combined.

Just saying that for surface warfare, nothing beats the PTO.
Old 12-03-08, 11:06 AM   #28
tomhugill
Planesman

Downloads: 23

Well if you think early war you have all the actions of the German surface fleet commerce raiding , battle of the river plate , actions involving the bismark , sinking of the Scharn etc. PTOs ok , but regarding actual ship to ship , rather than air to ship or actions involving carriers there isnt so much

Last edited by tomhugill; 12-03-08 at 11:12 AM.
tomhugill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-08, 10:57 AM   #29
tater
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhugill
Well if you think early war you have all the actions of the German surface fleet commerce raiding , battle of the river plate , actions involving the bismark , sinking of the Scharn etc. PTOs ok , but regarding actual ship to ship , rather than air to ship or actions involving carriers there isnt so much
LOL.

Commerce raiding? Yeah, a warship vs unarmed merchants, there's a major naval engagement.

The other actions are a handful of ships at best.

Your understanding of the Pacific naval war is deeply flawed. There were many surface actions between major warships. The Solomons alone exceed all the surface actions between the Germans and Allies combined. Yes, there were a number of small engagements between BB/BCs in the ATO and Med. There were fewer pure BB/BC engagements in the PTO. Once you bother to include CA actions and smaller (still DDs and larger) it skyrockets in the PTO.

Just Guadalcanal stuff (only warships listed, total numbers for both sides together):

Savo 15 Cruisers, 16 DDs.

Battle of Cape Esperance, 7 Cruisers, 13 DD, 2 AS.

Naval Battle of Guadalcanal, 1 CV, 4 BB, 13 CA/CL, 28 DD.

Battle of Tassafaronga, 5 CA/CL, 12 DD.

That's 4 months in the PTO.

tater

Last edited by tater; 12-04-08 at 10:58 AM.
Old 12-04-08, 02:29 PM   #30
Raptor1
Navy Seal

Downloads: 13

The Naval Battle of Guadalcanal cannot be counted as 1 battle, it was 2 battles with different Task Forces fighting in both

Anyway, the Solomon Islands campaigns also had about a dozen engagements between the Tokyo Express and interdicting US TGs which were pure surface actions (No aircraft at night)

But...don't forget the Med battles between the Regia Marina and the Royal Navy (I would even go as far as saying the Regia Marina's surface fleet being more powerful than the Kriegsmarine's), these regularly involved several battleships on both sides

And the RM never had a CV AFAIK (Aquila was never finished)

Last edited by Raptor1; 12-04-08 at 02:35 PM.
Raptor1 is offline   Reply With Quote