SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-23-12, 02:59 PM   #1
SunnyJim
Swabbie

Downloads: 11
Uploads: 0
Log Entries

I haven't found a clear answer in any of the threads. I am new to SH4, purchased and downloaded from Amazon. Installed U-boat mod 1.5. I would like to know how to make entries in the captain's log. I've searched for hours in the forums with no descritption of this problem. My first career mission (agent insertion) went well, but the only log entries upon return to Pearl were left-pearl and arrived-pearl (not exact quotes). I would like to mimic the actual logs of ships such as Wahoo, Tang, and Pampanito. Every dive, every surface was logged. Locations, headings, sea conditions. I would like to accurately record the movement and actions of my boat, the question is HOW?
SunnyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-12, 04:11 PM   #2
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

I don't believe there is any way to do that inside the game itself. Here is a nice stand-alone tool that runs outside the game and prepares a bare-bones patrol report for you. Torpedos fired, hits, misses, tonnage sunk and "JANAC" (realism-adjusted) tonnage. There's a place to add your own patrol narrative, as detailed as you wish. Maybe not what you were hoping for, but closer to it than that thing on the desk in the office.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=3560
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-12, 05:40 PM   #3
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

WELCOME ABOARD!

I record everything in real time with pen and paper, then type up my own log after the patrol is done. Paperwork is part of the job.
Old 11-23-12, 06:39 PM   #4
SunnyJim
Swabbie

Hmmm... Another notch up the realism ratchet, Manual Log Entry.
Wonder where I can find an old Underwood Upright? By way of introduction, I watched "Silent Service" with my Dad on Saturdays and climbed out of bed at 21:00 on Wednesdays for "Navy Log". How did they managge to develop characters and plot within a 1/2hr show?
I don't have much experience yet on SH4, but it has revealed a great desire to learn the history involved. I've found a few sights where you can read microfilms of the actual War Patrol Reports of such ships as the Gudgeon, Trigger, and Pampanito (docked across the Bay in SF). The Maritime Museum there has the (restored and working) TDC from Pampanito.
It's an honor to be aboard, thank you, gentlemen.
SunnyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-12, 08:24 PM   #5
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyJim View Post
How did they managge to develop characters and plot within a 1/2hr show?
They didn't. They just told the individual story as quickly and simply as possible. It was that way with a lot of those '50s shows. My favorite is still the one about Archerfish and the sinking of Shinano. No fancy models, no big budget, just Star Trek's Deforrest Kelly as Joe Enright, and Admiral Enright himself at the end. I wish someone would do a similar anthology series about u-boats, and British and maybe even Japanese subs. I'd pay money for it.
Old 11-23-12, 08:44 PM   #6
SunnyJim
Swabbie

I recall s scene either from tv or a movie (seen on tv) where a sub rammed a warship and bent the subs bow. Also a sceene where a sub had to beach to give damage control access to the bow planes for repair. Any recollections? And was there ar was there not a "Silent Running" sub movie (not the sci fi one)?
Old 11-23-12, 08:55 PM   #7
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

No, I don't recall any of those scenes. The movie you want is Run Silent, Run Deep, with Burt Lancaster and Clark Gable. It strays a long way from the book, but in-and-of-itself it's a fine flick.

Tags
log entries