SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-16-12, 01:37 PM   #751
Targor Avelany
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 225
Uploads: 0

makes me wonder if it's worth starting a torrent server/tracker for subsim...
Or creating a massive team dropbox.

I agree that it is very hard to find any other sites that allow that much space for a free account like mediafire - the restrictions on massive files are brutal, while restrictions of the gamefront are just ridiculous, as many people just don't have access...
Targor Avelany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-12, 02:00 PM   #752
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targor Avelany View Post
makes me wonder if it's worth starting a torrent server/tracker for subsim...
Or creating a massive team dropbox.

I agree that it is very hard to find any other sites that allow that much space for a free account like mediafire - the restrictions on massive files are brutal, while restrictions of the gamefront are just ridiculous, as many people just don't have access...
Unless I am mistaken, a Dropbox account like the one you are suggesting is not for free. It is not for the money, but for the effort of raising it

As for making our mods available as torrents, I am a complete ignorant: what would be needed, besides a little team of reliable seeders?

Getting storage sites wich are hosting bigger files for free is not impossible. The problem is that their servers are often unreliable or they are deleting the hosted files every so often. Gamefront is a classic example.
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-12, 03:42 PM   #753
volodya61
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 374

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
..I am currently working at some new features () that as I foresee will greatly increase its size
I'm using Dynamic and looking forward your new features
I also can try this as a beta tester

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos © - and for some people awakening will be cruel
volodya61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-12, 03:53 PM   #754
Thylacine
Watch

Downloads: 513

I've thought of going the torrent path myself (my mod collection is just short of 3GB and I'm sure others' are much larger) as it solves many issues (mainly size and availability) but until most mods are at the 'final release' stage there is little point, and I suspect that such torrents would only cause more confusion.
Once they're mostly at the final stage more Mega-mods will start to appear I'm sure.

ed
Thylacine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-12, 07:57 PM   #755
Targor Avelany
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thylacine View Post
I've thought of going the torrent path myself (my mod collection is just short of 3GB and I'm sure others' are much larger) as it solves many issues (mainly size and availability) but until most mods are at the 'final release' stage there is little point, and I suspect that such torrents would only cause more confusion.
Once they're mostly at the final stage more Mega-mods will start to appear I'm sure.

ed
eeeh... Don't know. This game as a lot ahead of it.
There are still work needs to be done on adding subs (a pain in the neck, so far I barely can semi-clone a unit. And it's not playable even yet), there are attempts to fix the campaign (OH II is amazing, don't misunderstand me. I'm talking about tonnage vs actual proper career mode).

If you consider that above are just two main that I can think of, there is a lot of work ahead, many different mods and combinations.
While people need mods now. Look at the forum, there are waay too many problems people having with downloading mods. And that drives them away, a lot of times. And Subsim cannot host all of the mods, (maybe can, but can you imagine the costs?)

@gap:
All we really need is a tracker.. And some people who don't mind leaving their computer & internet on for the most part of the day. I, for one, will gladly do that; I don't have a limit and I'm at work most of the day anyhow..
Old 11-16-12, 08:04 PM   #756
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodya61 View Post
I'm using Dynamic and looking forward your new features
I also can try this as a beta tester
Thank you very much Volodya!

Recently I've been discussing with sober about releasing a new version of the mod, containing various fixes and the most recent tweaks by sober himself. We are also considering to remove some files that are conflicting with other must have mods, or at least to make them available as separated submods.

Besides this, I am putting at work all the discoveries I've made thanks to Pintea. In the next future we will have a bunch of whole new terrain types, with different vegetation and soil/rock textures for each ecoregion all around the globe

In order to carry on these tasks we will need for a lot of support from the community, both in form of beta testing and advise. The help by some 2d graphics expert would be highly appreciated as well.

For the time being, this is the right moment for posting your reports on any flaw of the mod that waits still to be addressed.

Finally, I've one last request: anyone posting on this thread his geographical location and the names of a maximum of 8 tree species reflecting the typical vegetation of his area, will gain my ethernal gratitude!

I am preferably but not exclusively interested in medium to big-sized trees growing along the coasts. For instance, for my area I would report:

Palermo - Sicily (Southern Italy):
  • Olive tree (Olea europaea);
  • Date palm (Phoenix dactylifera);
  • Mediterranean dwarf palm (Chamaerops humilis);
  • Cork oak (Quercus suber);
  • Holm oak (Quercus ilex);
  • Maritime pine (Pinus pinaster);
  • Aleppo pine (Pinus halepensis);
  • Stone pine (Pinus pinea).
Old 11-16-12, 08:25 PM   #757
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
@gap:
All we really need is a tracker.. And some people who don't mind leaving their computer & internet on for the most part of the day. I, for one, will gladly do that; I don't have a limit and I'm at work most of the day anyhow..
Are there any public trackers that we can use, or should we register a private tracker ad hoc?
Old 11-17-12, 12:15 AM   #758
Thylacine
Watch

Quote:
While people need mods now. Look at the forum, there are waay too many problems people having with downloading mods. And that drives them away, a lot of times. And Subsim cannot host all of the mods, (maybe can, but can you imagine the costs?)

I reckon some way of teaching people to google the mod they're after rather than clicking a link, it not working, and them then posting a request for someone to upload it elsewhere (usually without indicating where) would solve 90% of such problems.

Imagine the problems that would arise in six months if only 20 people were to torrent they're current mod collection now.
The incompatibility between old and new mods, what works with what, etc would cause far more queries and disillusionment than the state things are in now.
I'd cite the multiple threads re various compatibility problems with MO etc as an example. Usually the first advice in such is to ditch MO due to age/incompatibility
Perhaps a thread re an universal storage site would be in order. Surely there is a free server somewhere that is universally accessible.

Of course, this is only my opinion.
cheers

ed
Old 11-17-12, 12:41 AM   #759
Silent Steel
Sea Lord

Downloads: 618
Default @ gap

Quote:
Finally, I've one last request: anyone posting on this thread his geographical location and the names of a maximum of 8 tree species reflecting the typical vegetation of his area,

Sweden/ Gotland (In the Baltic)

Pine / Pinus sylvestris
S
pruce / Picea abies
Juniper /Juniperus c
ommunis
Ash /
Fraxinus excelsior
Birch
/ Betula pendula
Oak / Quercus robur

Aspen / Populus tremula
Maple / Acer platanoides
Silent Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-12, 12:55 AM   #760
Thylacine
Watch

Forgot about the flora, sorry
Australia is pretty diverse in such regard. The only two constants that I can think of would be eucalypt and wattle (and FWIW they're not really that constant).
Hope this helps,

ed
Old 11-17-12, 05:42 AM   #761
Targor Avelany
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
I reckon some way of teaching people to google the mod they're after rather than clicking a link, it not working, and them then posting a request for someone to upload it elsewhere (usually without indicating where) would solve 90% of such problems.

Imagine the problems that would arise in six months if only 20 people were to torrent they're current mod collection now.
The incompatibility between old and new mods, what works with what, etc would cause far more queries and disillusionment than the state things are in now.
I'd cite the multiple threads re various compatibility problems with MO etc as an example. Usually the first advice in such is to ditch MO due to age/incompatibility
Perhaps a thread re an universal storage site would be in order. Surely there is a free server somewhere that is universally accessible.

Of course, this is only my opinion.
cheers

ed
But that is the whole point. Ones the new mod created or old one updated - you remove the old from tracker (or just stop seeding it) and update it with newer one. People who do have the mod via other sources (and that is why we should not abandon things like dropbox, mediafire, gamefront), don't even have to download it from the first person who posts: they can just download the tracker and point it to their own proper file in their collection and just seed.

But as you said: just my opinion.

gap:
I'll look into that tomorrow. 3 am is not the best time to search for things
Old 11-17-12, 05:48 AM   #762
Silent Steel
Sea Lord

Quote:
3 am is not the best time to search for things
Old 11-18-12, 08:05 PM   #763
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Steel View Post
Sweden/ Gotland (In the Baltic)

Pine / Pinus sylvestris

Spruce / Picea abies

Juniper /Juniperus communis

Ash / Fraxinus excelsior

Birch / Betula pendula

Oak / Quercus robur

Aspen / Populus tremula

Maple / Acer platanoides
Thank you Silent Steel!

The trees you have puntually listed and your location seem to be fitting the Sarmatic mixed forests ecoregion:

Quote:
Forgot about the flora, sorry
Australia is pretty diverse in such regard. The only two constants that I can think of would be eucalypt and wattle (and FWIW they're not really that constant).
Hope this helps,
Yes, Australia lies at the convergence of many biomes:

I don't expect you to draw up a complete dissertion on the flora of your country. If you feel like it, you should just detail as precisely as possible the 8 trees that are most common in your area, i.e. the ones you can see when looking out the window.

Quote:
gap:
I'll look into that tomorrow. 3 am is not the best time to search for things
Thank you Targor, waiting for your trees.

Anyone else wanting to share his flora with the community? It is for a good cause
Old 11-18-12, 09:39 PM   #764
Targor Avelany
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Thank you Targor, waiting for your trees.

Anyone else wanting to share his flora with the community? It is for a good cause
Do you really need North America's Vancouver Pacific trees?

Don't think there was much action over here during wwii
Old 11-19-12, 01:02 AM   #765
Silent Steel
Sea Lord

Quote:
The trees you have puntually listed and your location seem to be fitting the Sarmatic mixed forests ecoregion