SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-25-15, 01:42 PM   #1
CaptainRamius
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 19
Uploads: 0
Default Beautiful Sailing Ships

The Age of Sail is long over, but sailing ships still remain beautiful in their own way. The way the bow breaks over the waves and the ensign flying at the stern, it makes my heart melt.
Who else thinks that sailing ships are beautiful, even when compared to today's yachts?

Last edited by CaptainRamius; 11-26-15 at 01:12 AM.
CaptainRamius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-15, 01:53 PM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

YER full of it! sailing ships are ugly man! but then...I tend to see issues in Black and white...er orange

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-15, 01:55 PM   #3
CaptainRamius
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
YER full of it! sailing ships are ugly man! but then...I tend to see issues in Black and white...er orange
I hope your kidding
Old 11-25-15, 02:11 PM   #4
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

Beautiful Ship .
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-15, 02:27 PM   #5
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

Default How to flunk seamanship 101: gravity is not 64 yr old's friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRamius View Post
I hope your kidding
I'm in the Galley on the laptop as we speak...shop-vaccin' the rain-water outta the bilge and restorin' the teak table. At some of us 'talk the talk' ...and 'sail the sail'... I would say 'walk the walk' but I fell through the open sliding hatch two weeks ago (sober, I swear), hoisting a wind-driven mainsail; The (totally destroyed) galley table which broke my 6' 240lb fall and turned most of me purple left no bones broken (padded life jacket and thick-gauge plastic skullcap for boom-hits) after a trip to the hospital for x-ray'd lacerations, contusions. That's the CA Maritime Academy Golden Bear training ship(my nephew is enrolled) and Mare Island in the background (and occasionally use the marina's really big shopvac...for those really critical tasks.)

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 10-06-22 at 02:34 AM. Reason: getting rid of "photo bucket " branded fotos
Old 11-25-15, 02:48 PM   #6
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

Default Found somewhere on t' internet...

Old 11-25-15, 03:34 PM   #7
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Four brave British crews thought: "THIS is an Ugly sight": History's #1 Frigate (as per post 1's French frigate) and still shootn' and (rarely) under her own power! (winds over 5 mph or she won't move but under 15 mph she's too old for more)

Old 11-25-15, 06:19 PM   #8
Kptlt. Neuerburg
Admiral

Downloads: 54

I saw this nice looking sloop (it's a sloop of war I think) while I was in Conway, Wales back a few years ago. I also have a photo of a single decked two masted ship docked next to the HMS Belfast but it photo is quite bad.

Old 11-25-15, 10:49 PM   #9
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Beautiful! but as the foremast is shorter (as also on a brig)than the mainmast AND there are two gaff rig masts What ya got there is a magnificent square rigged Schooner. At least two headsails to the bowsprit and possibly three.
Quote:
the typical schooner has only two, with the foremast shorter than the mainmast. There may be a bowsprit to help balance the rig. The principal issue with a schooner sail plan is how to fill the space between the two masts most effectively. Traditional schooners were gaff rigged,
<Schooner The brig also has the shorter foremast but is not double gaffed(with two booms)>The brigantine, also two masted, has a fully rigged foremast, generally of equal height> definitely not a sloop-of-war such as USS Constellation>It's all a little confusing and I can't keep track of it (all that different rigging) myself No wonder they called it 'learning the ropes'

Old 11-25-15, 11:49 PM   #10
Kptlt. Neuerburg
Admiral

Downloads: 54

Ah, I guess I got confussed between the differences of sloop and schooner. Really I don't know a lot about ships from the days of sail, speaking of I found this buried deep in my screenshot archives from a campaign I did in NTW.
Old 11-26-15, 01:12 AM   #11
CaptainRamius
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
Four brave British crews thought: "THIS is an Ugly sight": History's #1 Frigate (as per post 1's French frigate) and still shootn' and (rarely) under her own power! (winds over 5 mph or she won't move but under 15 mph she's too old for more)
Aye, she's a beautiful ship. Lived 30 minutes away from her once, had a sleep out on the USS Constellation. Was great fun, especially firing the cannon at party boats
Old 11-26-15, 01:25 AM   #12
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kptlt. Neuerburg View Post
Ah, I guess I got confussed between the differences of sloop and schooner.
Actually there is a difference in terminology between the rig and the hull, especially when dealing in naval designations.

A sloop rig has a single mast.

If it has two masts and they're fore-and-aft rigged, then it's a schooner. If both masts are square rigged then it's a brig. If the foremast is square rigged and the after mast is fore-and-aft, then it's a brigantine.

On the other hand a brig hull has the guns along the weather deck but also has raised fore and after castles. A sloop has all the guns on the weather deck and no raised decks. The vessel pictured would be described in an 18th century navy as a brig-rigged sloop. And yes, it's a sloop-of-war.
Old 11-26-15, 01:35 AM   #13
CaptainRamius
Sonar Guy

I've got myself a successful thread here
Great photos, guys!
Old 11-26-15, 02:15 AM   #14
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Default A fighting topsail schooner: HMS Pickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
And yes, it's a sloop-of-war.
YER IN A 'pickle' now SIR! She's the HMS PICKLE Representation of HMS Pickle (1800), A Baltic Trading Schooner built in Russia as Alevtina Tuy. Used for charters and at the various bicentennial Trafalgar celebrations in the UK. based at Conwy Wales. The original was a 'topsail schooner'. Pickle was at the Battle of Trafalgar, and though she was too small to take part in the fighting, Pickle was the first ship to bring the news of Nelson's victory to Great Britain. She also participated in a notable single-ship action when she captured the French privateer Favorite in 1807. Originally with six guns later with 8 12-pounder carronades; which precludes any brig sloop consideration as those (2) types had far greater firepower.
Quote:
of the Cruizer class (18 guns) and the Cherokee class (10 guns). The brig rig was economical of manpower (important given Britain's chronic shortfall in trained seamen relative to the demands of the wartime fleet) and when armed with carronades (32-pounders in the Cruizers, 18-pounders in the Cherokees) they had the highest ratio of firepower to tonnage of any ships in the Royal Navy
Quite a little warrior!!! More of a make-do schooner privateer actually. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Pickle_(1800
)
(only two head sails)

Last edited by Aktungbby; 11-26-15 at 02:23 AM.
Old 11-26-15, 03:56 AM   #15
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Default Not 'square rigged' schooners

BAY area Schooners: ALMA-built 1891 gaff'd with top sails;MARTHA-built 1907 lower foremast & two ungaff'd boom'd aft-sails=schooner no top'sails on Martha . A schooner w/o topsails is 'bald headed schooner'. Gaff'd schooners, while very esthetic, require dual halyards and much adjusting while underway; modern versions are simpler with single halyards; a serious consideration for old sailors taken to falling through hatchways... The sail gloves (my previous post) are completely shot after two months on just a single-mast sloop rig Catalina.THIS ONE has it all: SV SEASHELL Holland-1920 Gaff rigged, square rigged, and top sails!(5,500 square feet of sail)

Last edited by Aktungbby; 11-26-15 at 04:20 AM.