SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-28-17, 06:52 AM   #1
lordroel
Swabbie

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0
Default Change log for 1.07

So it seems that work on patch 1.07 has begon and that we might see some new Soviet helicopters and aircraft.

Version 1.07 change log
lordroel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-17, 09:32 AM   #2
LeopardDriver
Bosun

Downloads: 65

Looks awesome so far. Still no key for the ships data reference book?

Please make a keybind for everything that can be done with the mouse as well! I don`t really like to use the mouse, prefer the keyboard, like in RSR.

Also, Mark 45 coming? With a conventional warhead? Or nuke one?
LeopardDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-17, 10:28 AM   #3
lordroel
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeopardDriver View Post
Looks awesome so far. Still no key for the ships data reference book?

Please make a keybind for everything that can be done with the mouse as well! I don`t really like to use the mouse, prefer the keyboard, like in RSR.

Also, Mark 45 coming? With a conventional warhead? Or nuke one?
Do not think they can model a nuke torpedo, because you might end up sinking yourself.
Old 07-28-17, 12:15 PM   #4
Capt Jack Harkness
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 210
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordroel View Post
Do not think they can model a nuke torpedo, because you might end up sinking yourself.
Isn't the range shorter than the blast radius?
Capt Jack Harkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-17, 02:02 PM   #5
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Jack Harkness View Post
Isn't the range shorter than the blast radius?
Depends on how you look at it / who you ask. 10, 11 and 15kt yeilds have been quoted for the W34 (same warhead as in the Mk 101 Lulu nuclear depth charge) and according to tests the minimum safe range is 4500 yards @ periscope depth (weapon range is 12-15,000 yards @ 40 knots). Not sure what the depth the torpedo was set to detonate at though. The biggest thing though is, due to the "positive control" aspect of the weapon it had to be wire-guided the whole way and detonation was triggered by the submarine, so anybody launching one of these can't really take any evasive action to try and escape.

As for the conventional Mk 45 "Freedom Torpedo" from what I can tell these were never seriously considered by the USN and I'm not eve sure if any foreign customers bought any. I think both Turkey and Iran were interested (under the Shah the Iranians were buying the ex-USS Trout and I think the conventional Mk 45s were going to come along with it) but this didn't happen due to Cyprus and the Iranian Revolution.
Old 07-28-17, 02:51 PM   #6
Mitchmaker
Sonar Operator

Downloads: 71

i think it will be the conventional version anything else would be insane
Old 07-28-17, 03:18 PM   #7
Julhelm
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 189

It's a conjectural 'field mod' conventional Mk45 inspired by the Freedom torpedo. In game it uses the Mk14 warhead along with a Mk37 guidance package. Could make it a none wireguided homer so it's more like a SET-65.
Julhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-17, 03:29 PM   #8
lordroel
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchmaker View Post
i think it will be the conventional version anything else would be insane
Yes because if there would be nuclear torpedoes in the game than the Soviets are allowed to use nuclear depth chargers if they had any.
Old 07-28-17, 04:10 PM   #9
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordroel View Post
Yes because if there would be nuclear torpedoes in the game than the Soviets are allowed to use nuclear depth chargers if they had any.
Well, I don't think anybody has done this yet, because there really isn't any incentive to, but I think with the way things sit right now, you could set the parameters for a soviet air-dropped nuclear depth-charge (Lulu equivalent) as the air-dropped DCs are the only thing in the game that has a blast radius.

The big thing there though is that the planes tend to be so accurate anyways that there would just be no escaping it.
Old 07-28-17, 04:21 PM   #10
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julhelm View Post
It's a conjectural 'field mod' conventional Mk45 inspired by the Freedom torpedo. In game it uses the Mk14 warhead along with a Mk37 guidance package. Could make it a none wireguided homer so it's more like a SET-65.
Hm, I remember you guys mentioned possibly doing a Mk 37C, I've more or less created one in the OAS mod and I do find it to be somewhat fun and "realistic" (as in it performs as you think it should). At 36 knots it can run down anything in 1968, including Victor Is but, while I've improved the sensors somewhat, its not in the same neighborhood as the Mk 48. Engagement-wise it plays a lot more like the standard Mk 37 where in many cases a good bit of manual control is required to get it on target, and even then at a Victor I going flank speed, you're only talking about a 3-5 knot closing speed so its certainly not a wonder weapon.

Going non-wire-guided on a Mk 45 mod could make a bit of sense as by nature this would be something "thrown together" that would sure make it simpler. From all the reading I've done, I think the reason that the Navy never went down that route (improving the Mk 45 as it was a fast, electric torpedo that they already had in inventory), was that the range was considered too short. My understanding is that the "freedom torpedo" much like the work that was initiated on the Mk 37C (until the Navy got involved because, more or less they liked what Honeywell showed them) came from the private sector.
Old 07-28-17, 05:52 PM   #11
cj95
Lieutenant

Downloads: 141

Did everyone just gloss over this part?

Combat
Direct telegraph and set course via map waypoint added
Set depth, periscope depth and emergency blow toolbar added
dictionary_message_log.txt added:

NavigationWaypointInfo=Set Course HEADING: <BRG> NavigationSetCourse=Conn, new course set, heading <BRG> NavigationSetDepth=Conn, changing depth to <DEPTH> <FEET> NavigationSetPeriscopeDepth=Conn, coming to periscope depth NavigationLevelOut=Conn, leveling the boat

Not really what I wanted personally, but I do gather that most of the community will be happy about it.

>> USS TEXAS BB-35 Restoration CrewMember <<
cj95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-17, 06:14 PM   #12
grover
Watch

Downloads: 11
Icon14

I like the look of those changes
grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-17, 07:52 PM   #13
ChaosphereIX
Mate

Downloads: 38

I hope those buttons and telegraph instructions will be able to be toggled or hidden. I like driving my sub around.
ChaosphereIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-17, 08:30 PM   #14
jrolson
Watch

Downloads: 1

1.07 so soon! Looking forward to trying it.
Old 07-29-17, 02:20 AM   #15
cj95
Lieutenant

Downloads: 141

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosphereIX View Post
I hope those buttons and telegraph instructions will be able to be toggled or hidden. I like driving my sub around.

Honestly I do too.

>> USS TEXAS BB-35 Restoration CrewMember <<
cj95 is offline   Reply With Quote