SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-06-17, 09:23 AM   #1
TDK1044
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 25
Uploads: 0
Default I can't get into this game

I really tried to like this game, but I find it not to be immersive. It feels to me like you're in charge of a very sophisticated underwater drone. There's no atmosphere to the game.

I get that there's a lot of strategy, and you certainly need to be very skilled to play it at the highest level and survive, but it does nothing for me. I much prefer the cat and mouse experience of the far less sophisticated WWII U Boat encounters in the Atlantic, where I'm part of a crew fighting for survival.

I will therefore patiently await the release of UBOOT.
TDK1044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-17, 10:43 AM   #2
Wiz33
Navy Dude

Downloads: 23

I can certainly understand that. You give it a honest try. It's why some people prefer WWII sims vs modern sims. It's more hands on and satisfying to see the guns hitting the enemy plane and pieces falling off or watching your manually calculated torp spread race for a merchant . Modern air and naval combat is more detached. It's all about killing the enemy without being seen or at least being shot at by return fire. To me, I just don't want to get my hands dirty ;-P

Last edited by Wiz33; 07-06-17 at 11:43 AM.
Wiz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-17, 10:46 AM   #3
jrolson
Watch

Downloads: 1

Who isn't awaiting the release of UBOOT.
Old 07-06-17, 11:51 AM   #4
TDK1044
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 25

I'll always support any new subsim and Dev team.....I'm just a WWII U Boat guy at heart
TDK1044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-17, 11:58 AM   #5
Wiz33
Navy Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDK1044 View Post
I'll always support any new subsim and Dev team.....I'm just a WWII U Boat guy at heart
Yea, Military sims are so rare nowadays that I tends to buy them all just to give the devs some support.
Old 07-06-17, 12:01 PM   #6
KevinM
Watch

Downloads: 2

Yes, I want to try this too...but I don't want to spend $40 to try it out and find I don't like it, and go past the Steam refund window...

I was hopeful of this going on sale in the last Steam sale, but no luck, so I am going to hang fire at the moment, as $40 is too much to gamble right now...

I doubt this will go on sale anytime soon, being so new, so I think I will just end up watching from the sidelines for now...but all kudos to the devs in keeping a steady stream of good quality updates coming...
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-17, 12:26 PM   #7
Wiz33
Navy Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Yes, I want to try this too...but I don't want to spend $40 to try it out and find I don't like it, and go past the Steam refund window...

I was hopeful of this going on sale in the last Steam sale, but no luck, so I am going to hang fire at the moment, as $40 is too much to gamble right now...

I doubt this will go on sale anytime soon, being so new, so I think I will just end up watching from the sidelines for now...but all kudos to the devs in keeping a steady stream of good quality updates coming...
Go watch some of "Jive Turkey"'s gameplay video on youtube. He was a sonar techs on the 688s and eventual was part of the training team teaching the new crews on the new boats. One note though. He spent a lot of time in 3D view for streaming videos as they are more attractive to viewers.
Old 07-06-17, 01:26 PM   #8
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 393

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiz33 View Post
Go watch some of "Jive Turkey"'s gameplay video on youtube. He was a sonar techs on the 688s and eventual was part of the training team teaching the new crews on the new boats. One note though. He spent a lot of time in 3D view for streaming videos as they are more attractive to viewers.
I would second that
Jive Turkey is certainly one of the most entertaining and interesting Cold Waters YouTubers IMO

After watching a few of his Vids playing the campaign, you should certainly get a feel as to whether or not you would enjoy the game

--------------------------------------------------
Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force

If the only tool you have is a hammer, pretty soon everything starts to look like a nail

FOTRS Ultimate
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=226270
The future of SH4 - coming to a PC near you soon
max-peck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-17, 07:48 PM   #9
cj95
Lieutenant

Downloads: 141

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Kevin....I don't know you from Adam, but if $40 is a bit steep for you, I'd like to buy the game for you myself.

I'm just having too much fun with it and would hate to see someone want to try it out but be held back because of money.

I think Steam has a gift function we could use if you're interested.

>> USS TEXAS BB-35 Restoration CrewMember <<
cj95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-17, 08:16 PM   #10
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

I am an SH3 fanatic. I enjoy this game because it takes away some of the serious immersion. It's a different view of a different era in a different vehicle.

DISCORD
https://discord.gg/6tFeTSUmVc
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-17, 08:18 PM   #11
caine007
A-ganger

Downloads: 26

I found it super refreshing tbh. I never played any of the old modern sub games. (lol old modern sounds weird).
caine007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-17, 08:41 PM   #12
cj95
Lieutenant

Downloads: 141

Quote:
Originally Posted by caine007 View Post
.....(lol old modern sounds weird).

Postmodern sub sims?

>> USS TEXAS BB-35 Restoration CrewMember <<
cj95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-17, 10:40 PM   #13
DetCord
Watch

Downloads: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDK1044 View Post
I really tried to like this game, but I find it not to be immersive. It feels to me like you're in charge of a very sophisticated underwater drone. There's no atmosphere to the game.

I get that there's a lot of strategy, and you certainly need to be very skilled to play it at the highest level and survive, but it does nothing for me. I much prefer the cat and mouse experience of the far less sophisticated WWII U Boat encounters in the Atlantic, where I'm part of a crew fighting for survival.

I will therefore patiently await the release of UBOOT.
I enjoy CW for what it is, though I can agree. My biggest issue is the lack of content. I mean once you have gone through the on-rails campaigns and missions, that's it. Unfortunately, there isn't any sort of dynamic campaign to keep things interesting and to extend the gameplay. Sure you can create missions and insert them into the campaign, but once you've played them a few times, you know exactly what to do.

As for UBOOT, I wouldn't get too excited. The devs are constantly making the Bethesda Fallout Shelter comparison and if you've played that game, it turns into a repetitive, boring experience after the first 10 or so hours. They also recently stated that UBOOT isn't anywhere near the simulation level of the SH series, so there ya go. Casual.
Old 07-06-17, 11:33 PM   #14
KevinM
Watch

Downloads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj95 View Post
Kevin....I don't know you from Adam, but if $40 is a bit steep for you, I'd like to buy the game for you myself.

I'm just having too much fun with it and would hate to see someone want to try it out but be held back because of money.

I think Steam has a gift function we could use if you're interested.
HeeHee, you are too kind, and I am not sure if you were in a semi joking mood when you "made the offer", but honestly, money per se is not the issue...it is more about having a gaming budget every month (for both PC/PS4 and physical board games), and not "squandering" $40 that could purchase a PS4 game (for instance)...

I am leaning towards taking the plunge now, especially as I read more and more features being added, but more so now because the game must be pretty darned good if someone who doesn't know me, must be enjoying it a whole lot if they are prepared to buy me a copy!!

So thanks for your post, and of all of the posts that have been made, your offer actually gives me the most confidence to make the purchase...so I am at work right now, but I will probably hit the "buy" button when I get home later

Thanks for your post/offer...

Cheers,
Kevin
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-17, 12:45 AM   #15
Berserker
Aggressive skipper

Downloads: 2166

I am in the same boat calling it quits...I cannot get any of the mods to work after the last patch...