SUBSIM Radio Room Forums


SUBSIM: The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2019, 12:54 PM   #1
Eikson
Watch
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 30
Downloads: 52
Uploads: 0
Default GWX Blind Watch Crew

Good Evening,

In my last two patrols with my VIIB I noticed strange things.

My watch crew (usually one qualified Officer + 1 qualified Bootsmann + 2 sailors) are often blind. Both patrols had me going home with almost all torpedoes although the weather was not extraordinarily bad and there were many radio contact reports.
I didn't get the "Smoke on the horizon" message even once and was often only aware of attacks because TC was limited to 8x. If I'd then ask the WO for a contact report he says nothing in sight although there's a clearly visible destroyer shooting at us 2 km away.

Has anyone experienced similar issues ? I'm on Windows 10 with a Steam install and run the game via SH3 commander.

My modlist is:
GWX
GWX - 16km Atmosphere
GWX - Integrated Orders
Supplement to V16B1 (JSGME)
GWX - No Medals on Crew
Thomsen'S Sound Pack V3.2cg
LifeBoats&Debris_v4
TKSS18 German U-Boats Compilation
New U-Boat Guns Fixed Reworked
FixAllSubGWX
Pascal_Port_people
OLC'S Modified Searchlight Beams for GWX


Thank you!
Eikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 01:33 PM   #2
blackswan40
Steel Sharks Bdu
 
blackswan40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: IN THE STEEL SHARKS VIRTUAL OCEAN
Posts: 495
Downloads: 418
Uploads: 20


Default

Hi Eikson dont rely on your watch crew or your sonarman to locate convoys

1.when on surface while maning the uzo or looking through the Attack periscope sweeping the horizon keep pressing the L key if any ships or convoys are near you will lock on to them

2.When at perscope depth dont rely on your sonarman your hears can pick up a ship or a convoy at ranges as far as 38 kms away.
When playing any SH3 Campaign as you approach your patrol grid dive to perscope depth for three hours at 2-3 knts and do sonar sweeps yourself its a tried and tested method by seasoned SH3 Uboat Kapitans.


Happy Hunting
blackswan40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 03:16 PM   #3
John Pancoast
Commander
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 466
Downloads: 190
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eikson View Post
Good Evening,

In my last two patrols with my VIIB I noticed strange things.

My watch crew (usually one qualified Officer + 1 qualified Bootsmann + 2 sailors) are often blind. Both patrols had me going home with almost all torpedoes although the weather was not extraordinarily bad and there were many radio contact reports.
I didn't get the "Smoke on the horizon" message even once and was often only aware of attacks because TC was limited to 8x. If I'd then ask the WO for a contact report he says nothing in sight although there's a clearly visible destroyer shooting at us 2 km away.

Has anyone experienced similar issues ? I'm on Windows 10 with a Steam install and run the game via SH3 commander.

My modlist is:
GWX
GWX - 16km Atmosphere
GWX - Integrated Orders
Supplement to V16B1 (JSGME)
GWX - No Medals on Crew
Thomsen'S Sound Pack V3.2cg
LifeBoats&Debris_v4
TKSS18 German U-Boats Compilation
New U-Boat Guns Fixed Reworked
FixAllSubGWX
Pascal_Port_people
OLC'S Modified Searchlight Beams for GWX


Thank you!
You won't get the "Smoke on the horizon" message without Stiebler's patch and I don't see it listed in your mod list.

I've spent a fair amount of time in both GWX and NYGM and have not experienced your example in either.
__________________
".....contrary to the accepted wisdom - and mythology - at no time did the German U-boat force ever come close to winning the "Battle of the Atlantic...."

- Clay Blair
John Pancoast is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 03:21 PM   #4
John Pancoast
Commander
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 466
Downloads: 190
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackswan40 View Post
Hi Eikson dont rely on your watch crew or your sonarman to locate convoys

1.when on surface while maning the uzo or looking through the Attack periscope sweeping the horizon keep pressing the L key if any ships or convoys are near you will lock on to them

2.When at perscope depth dont rely on your sonarman your hears can pick up a ship or a convoy at ranges as far as 38 kms away.
When playing any SH3 Campaign as you approach your patrol grid dive to perscope depth for three hours at 2-3 knts and do sonar sweeps yourself its a tried and tested method by seasoned SH3 Uboat Kapitans.


Happy Hunting
Regarding #2, if one wishes to play the game in a more realistic fashion, Rubini's hydrophone mod will do that.
One can then rely on the sonar man instead of the unrealistic always listening to it as captain.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=193199
__________________
".....contrary to the accepted wisdom - and mythology - at no time did the German U-boat force ever come close to winning the "Battle of the Atlantic...."

- Clay Blair
John Pancoast is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 03:43 PM   #5
Eikson
Watch
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 30
Downloads: 52
Uploads: 0
Default

BlackSwan and John,

thank you very much for those quick replies.

I do sometimes look and listen myself, but I think it's rather tedious to do it constantly on a long patrol. Therefore, I mostly do it when I close in on a reported convoy.

I will take a look at that hydrophone patch, thanks for that.

I think I found what causes the issue: For some reason, when I uninstall the TKSS sub mod everything goes back to normal. Contact reports at over 10km are possible with a decent watch crew. Unfortunately, this means that I will have to live without those great models for now. I will need to luck into which mod it clashes with.

You are right, I cannot rely only on my crew. But there was obviously something wrong with mine. Sometimes I would get contact reports with freighters just to go on the bridge and see that they are 500 m away. I've had PT boats shoot at my sub and only noticed because of the damage reports. Weird stuff like that happened all the time.

Thanks again
Eikson

Last edited by Eikson; 05-16-2019 at 12:36 AM.
Eikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 09:45 AM   #6
David I
Soundman
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 149
Downloads: 167
Uploads: 0
Default It's the TKSS U-Boat Compilation whats the problem

It's the TKSS U-Boat Compilation, no doubt.
See my comments in the SH3 Mods Section. Although I pointed this out about the Type IX boats I've learned that it also applies to the other boats as well.

I'm not computer savvy enough to fix, but I sure wish someone would.

David I
David I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 05:57 PM   #7
John Pancoast
Commander
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 466
Downloads: 190
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by David I View Post
It's the TKSS U-Boat Compilation, no doubt.
See my comments in the SH3 Mods Section. Although I pointed this out about the Type IX boats I've learned that it also applies to the other boats as well.

I'm not computer savvy enough to fix, but I sure wish someone would.

David I
I figured that was it. Had some conflicts with it myself, so I don't use it.
__________________
".....contrary to the accepted wisdom - and mythology - at no time did the German U-boat force ever come close to winning the "Battle of the Atlantic...."

- Clay Blair
John Pancoast is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 02:06 PM   #8
Eikson
Watch
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 30
Downloads: 52
Uploads: 0
Default

I have the same issue now using Aces Superturms v6.

For some reason every mod that changes the exterior model of the boat causes this issue for me, really annoying...
Eikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
blind , gwx , sh3 , visual , watch crew

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 1995- 2019 Subsim