SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-27-21, 11:23 AM   #16
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Yes, and it already looks like the cover of this:

Wounded Bear Picture Story

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-21, 11:24 AM   #17
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130
Uploads: 0

Old 03-27-21, 11:40 AM   #18
propbeanie

Mr Bean!!!

Old 03-27-21, 04:04 PM   #19
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO Re: Question...

Ok, as fun as this was what with the bear jokes, any chance of getting back on track & seeing what can be done to assist a fellow, albeit younger, subsimmer, to rectify their situation. Don't take it the wrong way, even I enjoy a bit of levity...

Any ideas on getting the game in stock, to begin with.. to actually load up, as it is supposed to. Despite attempting to start SH4, a view of task master shows it is supposed to be working, yet... it isn't. Watched numerous times, as they went to start it up &.. nada, zip, zilch.. a big fat nope, ain't gonna happen, Cpt. goose egg... it failed to load at all properly.

That's # 1.

Secondly, Watched as they did it, but... attempting to uncheck the 'Read only', in properties... the bloody SH4.exe, went right back to that being check marked. Despite clicking on apply then closing it out. Any ideas on getting that to stay unchecked.?

There is an idea for each of those, but both are really... radical in their execution, especially with the 1 to keep the .exe from reverting back to 'Read only'... as it would cause everything to not be read only...

Which to Me, would seem to pose a danger to their computer, if it was done.

Would like to know of some means to get them up & running so they can then mod SH4, to their hearts content & have it work.

Can report, that they have neither Steam or the games library folder, sitting in C:\Programs files or C:\Program files (x86), at all.

The main mods they want to use, the SH4 version they have.. is the right 1 for them, & that being v1.5 Silent Hunter: Wolves of the Pacific: Uboat Missions.

M. M.

Last edited by Mad Mardigan; 03-27-21 at 04:25 PM.
Mad Mardigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-21, 04:24 PM   #20
blackswan40
LSH-2022 Liaison Officer

Downloads: 589
Uploads: 30

ive sent Killerspoon575 a PM saying I can send him my original SH4 DVD and when i get my pension drawdown in April i will get him a DVD RW external usb drive i havnt seen Killerspoon575 on Subsim today but one way or another with this much help we will get him squared away im sure

Last edited by blackswan40; 03-27-21 at 04:54 PM.
blackswan40 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-21, 06:43 PM   #21
KillerSpoon575
Swabbie

Downloads: 8
Default Silent Hunter 4 Still Not Running

I talked with Mad Mardigan last night on Discord about it, but even he doesn't know why it won't start up.
KillerSpoon575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-21, 08:44 PM   #22
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerSpoon575 View Post
I talked with Mad Mardigan last night on Discord about it, but even he doesn't know why it won't start up.
That's because I have never ran into a situation, like yours Killer bud... Other things Yes, but the exact nature of what is ongoing currently on your end of all this... no.. nope, never have. So, I admit, it has Me.. baffled.

Doesn't mean by any long shot, that I've given up & thrown in the flag or towel, as the saying/case may be...

Like, ol' whats'is name.. I have NOT yet begun to fight...

M. M.

Old 03-27-21, 10:23 PM   #23
propbeanie

I'll state what I said on page one:
Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
... in all seriousness, have you tried changing the Property settings on the SH4.exe file? I never had a worry in the world with SH4, neither Steam, UPlay (UConnect now) nor disk. They all ran, and they all take mods just fine... until the "New!!!" Windows 10 came along the other day... I now have to have different settings on the SH4.exe for each of the 3 computers, and had to experiment with all three to get the game to run. My Windows 7 machine does fine, but all 3 Windows 10 machines had to be changed. Here's a post with a picture I did yesterday in billkunert's SH4 won't start after recent Win10 update post. Experimentation is mandatory in today's 'modern' computer world when you are dealing with antiquated "legacy" apps from the Windows XP (DirectX v9.0c) days, unfortunately. The game is a blast though still -at least for me it is - after how ever many years it has been since the SSI SH4 (v1) came out...
If a person is clicking on a Properties setting, and Windows is putting things right back, then the UserName account that you are logging into Windows with does not have proper authority for editing (you need Administrator priveleges), or there is something wrong with the Windows Install, or you have the game in a protected folder, which was also previously stated. You might also have UAC turned all of the way up. Maybe the hard drive is damaged, or is out of space?

Old 03-28-21, 02:46 AM   #24
blackswan40
LSH-2022 Liaison Officer

Downloads: 589
Uploads: 30

Hi SH4 Community is there a SH4 no dvd patch available to download from a legitamate site trying to square away Killerspoon575 SH4 install.

I took my SH4 dvd off my bookcase last night installed it and it worked but you need the dvd in drive i am going to send Killerspoon575 the SH4 dvd and get him a usb dvd drive so there no piracy issue here gents on two counts.
He as already bought it from steam that now does not work after latest windows 10 update but if there is a no dvd patch for SH4 out there i can get Killerspoon575 squared away by zipping up my SH4 install uploading to my mediafire site then sending the download link to Killerspoon575 then he can apply the patch and hes up and running asap so to speak.

regards blackswan40

Last edited by blackswan40; 03-28-21 at 02:58 AM.
blackswan40 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-21, 11:13 AM   #25
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
I'll state what I said on page one:

If a person is clicking on a Properties setting, and Windows is putting things right back, then the UserName account that you are logging into Windows with does not have proper authority for editing (you need Administrator priveleges), or there is something wrong with the Windows Install, or you have the game in a protected folder, which was also previously stated. You might also have UAC turned all of the way up. Maybe the hard drive is damaged, or is out of space?
These are all potential reasons. Another, depending upon the pedigree of the steam install, is that the have is trying to call gameux.dll or it is hanging on rundll.exe.

Trending gameux.dll to something else is a start. The other is to see if rundll is running, shut down sh4.exe, and run it again.

Lastly, display scale (DSR) probably needs to be native 100%
3catcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-21, 11:32 AM   #26
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
Ok, as fun as this was what with the bear jokes, any chance of getting back on track & seeing what can be done to assist a fellow, albeit younger, subsimmer, to rectify their situation. Don't take it the wrong way, even I enjoy a bit of levity...

Any ideas on getting the game in stock, to begin with.. to actually load up, as it is supposed to. Despite attempting to start SH4, a view of task master shows it is supposed to be working, yet... it isn't. Watched numerous times, as they went to start it up &.. nada, zip, zilch.. a big fat nope, ain't gonna happen, Cpt. goose egg... it failed to load at all properly.

That's # 1.

Secondly, Watched as they did it, but... attempting to uncheck the 'Read only', in properties... the bloody SH4.exe, went right back to that being check marked. Despite clicking on apply then closing it out. Any ideas on getting that to stay unchecked.?

There is an idea for each of those, but both are really... radical in their execution, especially with the 1 to keep the .exe from reverting back to 'Read only'... as it would cause everything to not be read only...

Which to Me, would seem to pose a danger to their computer, if it was done.

Would like to know of some means to get them up & running so they can then mod SH4, to their hearts content & have it work.

Can report, that they have neither Steam or the games library folder, sitting in C:\Programs files or C:\Program files (x86), at all.

The main mods they want to use, the SH4 version they have.. is the right 1 for them, & that being v1.5 Silent Hunter: Wolves of the Pacific: Uboat Missions.

M. M.

It's being worked on now.
Old 03-28-21, 12:38 PM   #27
propbeanie

Another thought crosses my mind - with all of the files reported missing when attempting to start the game, and the executable not able to be set to Read-only - KillerSpoon575 and that is, do you have the Steam base game "Silent Hunter: Wolves of the Pacific" installed, or just the Steam "UBoat Missions Add-On"? From my understanding, the Steam install needs both for the v1.5 "UBoat Missions Add-On" to function correctly.

blackswan40's disk is a v1.3 or earlier copy, and would only be able to do good, if you add the Official v1.4 patch from the SubSim download section to it. That would still leave you short of the v1.5 that most mods require, but the v1.4 does have the Dynamic Loading of the mission files, and also does not require the disk to be in the reader to play the game. You would still have to find a non-Steam "UBoat Missions Add-On" copy, which is nigh-on impossible. However, as 3catcircus mentions of editing the SH4.exe Properties page, and I am now mentioning for the 3rd time, the Steam game does function correctly for almost any and all mods. Here is the picture I posted for billkunert in the previously linked thread...

I do not know how much of that was followed, or needed by billkunert to get his game running... but this is key for SH4 and SH3 on Windows 10 now.

Old 03-28-21, 12:48 PM   #28
Torpex77
Helmsman

Downloads: 72
Default SH4 Download

I got my SH4 Gold edition from Amazon through the Subsim site.

SH4 working solid on my refurb 130.00 laptop with WIN 10 with every update. No Steam installed.

No Bragging just giving info...

I must state that I followed THEBERBSTER instructions to a T on my laptop and my new gaming machine.

I follow old school protocals and make sure nothing is running as much as I know win 10 that is. I always do a fresh restsrt just before running the game.
Old 03-28-21, 12:58 PM   #29
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

blackswan40 installed a NEW steam of SH4 with the U-boat add on.
He sent me the SH4.exe and I sent him a patch.
He is testing it.

There is a recent problem with SH3 and Steam that I created a patch to solve.
So We are taking the same approach.

Now if you have a really old version of Steam SH4? I'd like to see the SH4.exe
Old 03-28-21, 01:34 PM   #30
propbeanie

The old Steam versions are overwritten with the Steam updates, like MS does with Windows, or Ubi does with UConnect. An old Steam version will no longer run on its own (ET fone ome), so if you get the patch functioning as intended, then you've solved it, at least, until they change licensing again...