SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Indie Subsims
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-20-19, 04:21 PM   #16
Boris-Barboris
Mate

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I am honoured to introduce our one and only virtual humpback whale Ahmed. He likes to sing. Please be gentle with him.

Other than the animal-related code, I was working on the color scheme, some TMA bugs and mouse aiming of torpedoes. Now the firing parameters are much faster to come up with.

This concludes the updates of v0.0.2 release:
https://github.com/Boris-Barboris/ds...ses/tag/v0.0.2
Boris-Barboris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-19, 04:10 PM   #17
Boris-Barboris
Mate

Default Working on AI

https://github.com/Boris-Barboris/ds...ses/tag/v0.0.3

Dedicated about 4 weekends to enemy AI. Managed to produce something resembling an easy combat bot, that only attacks what it hears, and a medium bot, that can use decoys, active sonar and tries to dodge the torps.

A little sandbox trace:

Modified the scenario, so that after killing a civilian passive bot an easy bot spawns, and medium bot spawns for each killed easy bot. All combat bots use the same Stork sub that the player has.

Torpedo range is better estimated on the client with respect to it's fuel consumption factors on different speeds.

Solution real-time phantom is drawn in TMA mode to make the process more obvious.

I'll try to work on variability for now, want to get to at least 3 submarines and 4-5 torpedoes. Hull hydrophones maybe.
Old 11-30-19, 06:40 AM   #18
Boris-Barboris
Mate

Tested loadout screen on multiple available subs, added Alfa-wannabe fast boat Lima:

Multi-antennae hydrophones appear to be working, so I gave the Lima hull-mounted linear arrays that cover it's broadsides.

Bots need a lot of tweaking, but I only had time to make them dodge not only enemy torpedoes but friendly as well.

Experimental Linux build is up, but I expect some shared library version conflicts in the wild, so anyone willing to test the build is welcome.

https://github.com/Boris-Barboris/ds...ses/tag/v0.0.4
Old 11-30-19, 07:48 AM   #19
Amiral Crapaud
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 2

Neat job Boris! This game doesn't have half the attention it deserves.
Amiral Crapaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-20, 06:21 PM   #20
Boris-Barboris
Mate

I'm currently rounding up the work, dedicated to multi-hydrophone submarines and towed arrays.

Towed array wire tension and drag seems to be properly working, slowing down the sub on full extension. Self-noise is working all-right, image/sound signal mirroring works as expected. I do not plan to simulate focus distortion due to bending, sounds unreasonably hard and there are rumors that modern towed arrays have solved this problem by accounting for their shape during processing. Wire damage due to speed will have to wait until the proper damage system is ready.

TMA UI however needs some work. I have managed to synchronize the trackers of the merged contact so that they generate data samples simultaneously in order to help with triangulation - the thing that I always wanted in DW.
But the overall picture is still too noisy: purple error legs need now to point to ray intersections instead of ray normals. I'll have to tune the visuals/colors to make the picture clearer.

Nevertheless, spherical array + towed array triangulation is already giving good solutions:

Old 02-02-20, 03:16 PM   #21
Boris-Barboris
Mate

Default v0.0.8

https://github.com/Boris-Barboris/ds...ses/tag/v0.0.8

Implemented passive mode for torps, Minoga got a toggle for it in the "Aiming" UI. Keep her active phase speed low, on 29m/s it's legally deaf.
Here's a dump from torp's sensor during Stork (going flank) intercept.

Thank you, mr(s) Spencer, your tests have induced a couple of crashes and bugs in the acoustics system, that I have fixed. Don't be shy to give feedback here or in PM.
Old 02-09-20, 09:46 AM   #22
Boris-Barboris
Mate

https://github.com/Boris-Barboris/ds...ses/tag/v0.0.9

Got contact description field/label and word wrap working, made some threading-related improvements on the server side.

I will now start working on the scenario and instance system. It occured to me that this monstrosity needs a good tutorial and some interesting campaign that can make use of the acoustics and player's ears.
Tutorial requires rich interactive guides on the client, and campaign requires instancing (personal game world for the player), more database entities (animals, weapons, neutrals, subs), map scenario elements and goal/message system.

This boring stuff will eat about a year of my time, I believe, but that will probably be enough to actually publish the turd.
Old 02-22-20, 01:50 AM   #23
Boris-Barboris
Mate

Thanks cane, AndiK, BamboozledSandwich, ildifa, sour_candy, maxadmiral, Pigeon and krome.
Fixed the server crashes you have encountered.
Old 02-26-20, 01:04 PM   #24
Boris-Barboris
Mate

Got some very rough replay working, was too curious of what is happening.

https://github.com/Boris-Barboris/ds...es/tag/v0.0.10

• slider UI control now can be moved by clicking on desired position.
  • simple replay mode, entered from main menu by clicking on "watch replay" button. Replay data is collected every 10 seconds if there is at least one active player on the server. Data is delayed 1 hour from real time. Data is given out in chunks, grouped by day. Day can be entered in top left corner of the screen. Move slider on the bottom of the screen to move through time. Use mouse wheel while hovering over the slider to move time frame by frame. Map is pannable/zoomable, as usual.
  • reduced arena circle shift range in half, noticed that some players just didn't want to swim that far and quit.
Old 02-27-20, 03:33 AM   #25
AndiK
Swabbie

Hi Boris,

you might have noticed that I've been enjoying DSubs quite a lot, actually, so here's a great big
THANK YOU
from me. Like yourself, I find doing the TMA the most enjoyable part of a subsim, so DSubs is bang on the money (towed arrays ftw!).

I've given the replay function a quick try last night - thanks! However, is there a chance that the replay coordinate system is out of alignment from the main game? When watching myself, I could tell which bit I was looking at, but it somehow seemed the wrong way around.

Cheers! Very much looking forward to seeing it grow in the future. :-)

Andi
AndiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-20, 03:40 AM   #26
Boris-Barboris
Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndiK View Post
Hi Boris,

you might have noticed that I've been enjoying DSubs quite a lot, actually, so here's a great big
THANK YOU
from me. Like yourself, I find doing the TMA the most enjoyable part of a subsim, so DSubs is bang on the money (towed arrays ftw!).

I've given the replay function a quick try last night - thanks! However, is there a chance that the replay coordinate system is out of alignment from the main game? When watching myself, I could tell which bit I was looking at, but it somehow seemed the wrong way around.

Cheers! Very much looking forward to seeing it grow in the future. :-)

Andi

Glad to hear that.

You are correct, player coordinate system is randomly shifted and rotated for each spawn. I did that because I wanted to make life a bit harder for players that decide to team up against other solo players and would try to verbally communicate using absolute values.

This feature should go when/if I come to missions that are designed for actual coop or team fights, but for a free-for-all quick battle scenario like the one that is running I think it is a good feature.
Old 02-28-20, 03:41 AM   #27
Gustav
Nub

Downloads: 69

You Sir are my hero! This is the game of my (admittedly sad) dreams.

Keep up the great work!

Gustav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-20, 02:33 AM   #28
stormrider_sp
Planesman

Downloads: 51

I tried installing it, but my anti virus detected something and sent the file automatically for interrogation.
Old 03-02-20, 03:07 AM   #29
Boris-Barboris
Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormrider_sp View Post
I tried installing it, but my anti virus detected something and sent the file automatically for interrogation.

Reasonable behaviour from an AV, but I won't be signing the binary any time soon. I'm afraid you'll have to add an exception.
Old 03-05-20, 03:44 AM   #30
Ildifa
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 10

Hi!

I am a longtime fan of your "AtmosphereAutopilot" mod for Kerbal Space Program, so when I first saw that this little submarine game was made by you, I was sure it was gonna be great

I think you had a great idea making DSubs more fast-paced than the usual sim, every round I played was always exciting!
My congratulations (and hopes to see it grow) to you

To show my appreciation, I made an icon for DSubs in the same minimalist art style, hope you like it:

P.S.: Is it possible to sometime hear music on the hydrophone, or am I hallucinating things?
Ildifa is offline   Reply With Quote