SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Indie Subsims
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-12-16, 12:51 PM   #61
nsomnia
Weps

Downloads: 44
Uploads: 0

Got all the bugs of the basic torpedo system ironed out today.

Just need to add a depth control system as well as the gyro angle and straight run distance (how far did a mk14 run straight before turning? any equations on torpedos?) and then add the damage system from an old grenade setup and were in business to start sinking ships (with a basic AI).

Big updates coming soon stay tuned!

Heres a video of the torpedo after 20 minutes of prototyping. It has range and speed settings and goes at a set depth (ocean density * 1) and after range remaining is <= 0 then it waits 3 seconds, plays explosion FX and then after 3 seconds deletes itself from memory.
Underwater fog is turned off in the video to see better.

I also need to rig and properly texture my naval officer/captain/enlisted man so I can create a naval base and crew.

I am going to have to code some sort of setup for the exploration of the boats so for now im going back to controlling the boat with set cameras. Think SH4 with mods setup only modernized... for now.

Video of first torpedo test mk 14:
Old 04-13-16, 03:47 PM   #62
nsomnia
Weps

Minor updates basic engine sounds that need to be much slower I just pitch increased an idle sound, torpedo debug and refactored my code anticipating team members joining.

Minor but setting up for battle soon...

Old 04-14-16, 02:01 PM   #63
nsomnia
Weps

Periscope is moving nicely and a basic debug quality GUI for shooting torpedos at different speeds.

Took 2.5 hrs to cleann up code and do this... I love unreal.

Damage model next up and we have basic combat. Anda few bug fixes to do wih steering and propulsion physics.
Old 04-16-16, 03:55 PM   #64
nsomnia
Weps

Have 10 torpedo tubes firing properly, andw hile 2 days behind schedule, everythings coming together.

Project is now on source control with 2 possible team emmbers to join me.

We'll see where this leads.
Old 04-17-16, 02:34 PM   #65
nsomnia
Weps

Got started on a map today. It will only track the current level your in and only ship and torpedo positions, but its a start until my team to be coders can get on it or myself. It'll really make a major hurdle get started on overcoming.

Then back to blowing shups up. Soon!
Old 04-17-16, 05:01 PM   #66
nsomnia
Weps

I knwo its ugly and gives you no information but this is the first map I've ever made. It works. Its a start.

Old 04-18-16, 11:16 AM   #67
nsomnia
Weps

Todays major revision (#5 so far, so low fresh repos are always nice)

Code:
revision 5: Added custom collision channels for torpedos and playerSub so that the torps can swim out of the tubes (spawn inside the sub and not collide). They now run straight hot and normal within 0.2d without any steering even though they are physics based which is awesome. Added basic map zoom functionality, panning to come, by overiridng OnMouseWheelDelta on the MapV1 widget.
Added a ton of debug buttons and their screens to the main HUD gui and did a bit of GUI cleanup. Cleaned up the shipsandexamples folder finally. 
Little fixes here and there, we need to get our heads together andmake a list of whats important on trello or something and work on the google doc to flesh out our ideas and aspirations to see if this is going to work as a team effort.
Its shaping up fast and its still just me until the team members decide yay or nay on the idea and have time to work on it. I'm getting real serious dedicating time to it lately.

Anyone want an update with the new updates or wait for some shooting/damage/AI (the next step IMO)?
Old 04-19-16, 12:07 PM   #68
nsomnia
Weps

Got map zooming and panning in x/y as well as a dynamic scale in CM (for now) that updates and stays in roughly the same positon.

It also zooms faster at first and slower (more accurately) when zoomed in far, im going to change it to steps later.

this is HUGE not haivng a map was the biuggest turn off to the proejct for me. What thisd means is technially I could create the entire game as long as it stayed at sea, and load ports for missions the few times they are needed.

Realistically it will need a map setup like silent hunter I think its very intuituve but it requires alot of data and processing (coding)
Either way a BIG update is coming very soon.

Next up, now that im hapy with the map more or less, is to import my very effective future proof and easy to modify damage system, which is fully multiplayer ready BTW.

Drop that on the mk14 torpedo and import a ship with basic random movement and we have a game to play!!!!!
Old 04-20-16, 01:38 PM   #69
nsomnia
Weps

revision 8: Added a basic boat that steams around to random locations in WaterVolume physics volume and then picks a new spot, minor vector bugs he doesnt always go forwards but has buoyancy and sinking ability. Damage upcoming. Some minor additons and bug fixes and refactoring as well imported the damage system and game settings from a previous project to get that setup fast and perfectly.

v0.12ptd is going to be less of a pretechdemo and more of a 0.12alpha
Old 04-21-16, 02:04 PM   #70
nsomnia
Weps

revision 9: Added the ability to destroy any BP_AI-Swiftboats in the scene and and arming distance for the torpedo, as well as sinking fx for the AI boat and a macro library for converting cm to X units (nm, Miles, km, M etc). Created a AI health bar.

Going to focus on cleaning up code and writing up a mini game design document to attract team-members serious about a project like this.

Few days off from the work I've been doing lately in gameplay.

Its silent hunter.... without the campaign
Old 04-22-16, 01:40 PM   #71
nsomnia
Weps

Demo video showing a prototype character (the clothes are what my character guy spent the time on I did the rest in a couple hours) and the ship sinking effect prototyped, I forgot the map though!

Old 05-01-16, 01:18 PM   #72
nsomnia
Weps

Got underwater propulsion started but having a major issue with gimbal lock to debug. Stormy weather is in the works with a programmer
Old 05-02-16, 11:47 PM   #73
nsomnia
Weps

Gimbal lock is solved, back to getting a playable level going! Gonna borrow some boats from sh4 to shoot at.
Old 05-04-16, 01:44 PM   #74
nsomnia
Weps

A ship you may all recognize as a large tanker placeholder to test a torpedo data computer code setup to be soon. A few backwards normals but its just a placeholder

Old 05-04-16, 04:27 PM   #75
bigwillydier
Arctic Warrior

Downloads: 2

Nice.. looking good man!