SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III > SH3 Mission Designers' Forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-23-11, 10:08 PM   #61
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168
Uploads: 0

I am also having trouble with Mission Editor, I can open it fine but when I open a file the window where the map should be showing it's just a big black square.

All the commands seem to work, and when I move the cursor over the "map" I can see the coordinates or whatever changing in the bar at the bottom... so it looks like it's doing what it normally does, I just can't see anything.

I've tried this in three different game installations, one without the res fix installed, and I've tried all the suggestions for disabling the res mod .dll in the ones that have the res fix... nothing.

I also downloaded the new version from Jimbuna's FF page, but can't run the .exe, it says I don't have kernell.dll on my computer.

I never had this problem running Mission Editor before, I could disable the res fix .dll and it was all fine, but since I switched to Win7 64-bit I have the problem described above.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-11, 11:02 AM   #62
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Sorry to learn of this problem but it is usually 'fixeable' and I guarantee it is not the exe in my newer ME pack.

The link below will tell you what the error is and offer a free option to confirm etc.

http://www.processlibrary.com/direct.../kernel/21533/

This link will give you a free solution

http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dl...s.shtml?kernel

Good luck.

Edit...I forgot to mention that ME ver2 is working fine on my W7 64bit system, so it will/should work on yours.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-11, 11:28 AM   #63
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbuna View Post
Sorry to learn of this problem but it is usually 'fixeable' and I guarantee it is not the exe in my newer ME pack.

The link below will tell you what the error is and offer a free option to confirm etc.

http://www.processlibrary.com/direct.../kernel/21533/

This link will give you a free solution

http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dl...s.shtml?kernel

Good luck.

Edit...I forgot to mention that ME ver2 is working fine on my W7 64bit system, so it will/should work on yours.
Yeah, I knew you had 64-bit so that didn't seem a likely culprit.

I'll try it to sort it out. I don't go into ME to look at stuff often but when you do want to do that it's a right PITA not to have it working right.

Edit: Heh, that was easy. I'd downloaded the file onto my backup drive where I keep all downloaded stuff and I was clicking on it trying to run it from there. Once I copied it into one of my game folders (where, uh, 'kernel.dll' is located, duh) it opens fine. BUT the 'map window' is still just a black window, no joy there.

Last edited by frau kaleun; 04-24-11 at 12:02 PM.
Old 04-24-11, 12:54 PM   #64
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Then all I can think of is a conflict with the res fix...if your using it

Old 04-24-11, 01:11 PM   #65
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Then all I can think of is a conflict with the res fix...if your using it
I dunno, the ME does the same thing in game installations that don't have res fix at all. Even my 'base' installation that has never been modded or played, all I use it for is to copy the folder if I want an additional installation. Is a puzzlement.
Old 04-24-11, 01:33 PM   #66
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by frau kaleun View Post
I dunno, the ME does the same thing in game installations that don't have res fix at all. Even my 'base' installation that has never been modded or played, all I use it for is to copy the folder if I want an additional installation. Is a puzzlement.
I'll tell ya something....at times the SH3 game engine runs sweet as a nut some days then the next it's the biggest puzzle in computer gameing I've ever come across

Old 04-24-11, 01:55 PM   #67
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
I'll tell ya something....at times the SH3 game engine runs sweet as a nut some days then the next it's the biggest puzzle in computer gameing I've ever come across
It may just be the game's way of saying "STOP MODDING ME ALL DAY YOU DAFT BINT!!!"
Old 04-24-11, 03:48 PM   #68
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by frau kaleun View Post
It may just be the game's way of saying "STOP MODDING ME ALL DAY YOU DAFT BINT!!!"
If I ever find out for sure I'll patent the problem

Old 04-27-11, 07:48 AM   #69
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Just discovered last night that I can't get screenshots either. Hitting PrintScreen doesn't crash my game, even though I did it about a dozen times sitting right smack in busy Wili harbor. (Last time I tried this with all my mods enabled, it eventually CTDed.) However - when I exited the game, I couldn't find what should have been the newly created .tga files anywhere. Even doublechecked to see what folder I had them directed to, and... nothing. It's like the pictures failed "develop."

I opened PSP and tried to paste the last copied image in there as a new image, and got an image the size of my game area that was just black like what I get in ME now.

So I don't know if it's a memory issue or the same thing that's causing the problem in ME... I may just create another game installation to run at the stock resolution without any tinkering and see what happens.
Old 04-27-11, 04:17 PM   #70
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

What resolution are you running the game at and what resolution is your pooter screen set at?

Old 04-27-11, 04:46 PM   #71
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
What resolution are you running the game at and what resolution is your pooter screen set at?
1400x1050, with the Res Fix. That's the most I can get without stretching things out since I don't have a widescreen GUI.

The monitor's native res is 1680x1050 (16:10 I think). Before switching OSes and getting all the new drivers for that, I could just tell the graphics card not to rescale and it ran fine at that res in 4:3, but with the new drivers I've been using another little app to force the desktop res to change only when the game's .exe is running - this allows the options for 'no rescale' with the graphics drivers.

That tweak is the only difference from what I had before. Then all I had to do was disable the d3d9.dll temporarily and ME worked fine. And I had no trouble with screenshots either.

Of course it's not the ONLY difference since I have a buttload of additional mods now.

On the other hand, as I mentioned before, even game installations that don't have the res fix installed give me the same problem with ME - so it's not *just* the res fix. Probably a big 'ol tossed salad of different things that I'll have to sort through one by one.
Old 04-27-11, 04:49 PM   #72
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Have you tried 1680 x 1050 without the res fix?

Old 04-28-11, 08:57 AM   #73
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Have you tried 1680 x 1050 without the res fix?
I've never altered the native res without the res fix, what file do I edit to do that?

The thing is, though, I don't want to run in full WS without a WS GUI because I really, really, really don't like the way things get stretched out in the 2D screens, particularly the circular dials/compass/etc.

And I suspect it may be the tweak I'm using to force the 4:3 aspect ratio that is the problem, because that's the only difference in the new setup. If I take that out and the problem goes away, then I'm gonna have to figure something else out, probably go with WS display whether I like it or not, because I'm pretty sure I tried everything else to maintain the 4:3 ratio and that was the only thing that worked.

At this point I will probably just create a new game installation and start experimenting with resolution stuff there, maybe look at some of the widescreen stuff that's available. Problem is I don't think any of it was done for a 16:10 display so that may open up another can o' worms to sort out.
Old 04-28-11, 09:53 AM   #74
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

You copuld try a quick 20 second test to help in the elimination process by right clicking on your desktop then selecting 'Screen resolution' and trying different settings...it is easily reversible by turning the settings back to what you had originally.

My suspicions are there is a corrupt or missing dll file involved though.

As you know, my PM system is fubard atm so why not PM fubar2niner (just coincidence LOL) and ask him what he has his settings at on his W7 64 bit system?

Old 04-28-11, 09:37 PM   #75
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Well now this is really weird.

I have tried several different things. I turned off GPU scaling in CCC. I reset the res in d3d9.cfg to 1680 x 1050. I changed the res in Main.cfg to the same. I set my monitors (actually a monitor and HDTV) to duplicate desktops rather than extended. I uninstalled the Res Fix. I reinstalled the Res Fix. I changed all the other settings noted above back and forth several times. I removed the "tweak" that forced the desktop to drop to 1400x1050 when SH3.exe is running. I've tried both ME and MEX2. I've tried them both with the Res Fix's d3d9.dll temporarily renamed. I've tried various combinations of the above in four different game installations.

A couple of times I got the ME to open a campaign file and display the map properly, but whatever the set up I had when that happened, I was unable to duplicate the success in a different game install or even in the same game install the next time I tried to open ME there.

Now sometimes I just get the black window with no map again, and sometimes ME crashes and problem details show the faulty module as Simdata.dll... but I might have been trying to open a campaign file from a GWX install with the ME in my Stock game folder, I don't know. I was pretty confused by that point.

I don't know, I'm starting to think it would just be easier to do a complete reinstall and start from scratch.