SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-17-21, 08:01 PM   #1
soloshrov
Swabbie

Downloads: 121
Uploads: 0
Default (Dark Waters) Help with Type XXI early game

So I've for the most part learned how to edit the files and get late game torps and upgrades at the beginning of the game, but I've been running into a massive issue with subs.

If I take any post September 1st start date sub and put it into one of those flotillas (whether it be Type IXD-2, Type XXI, Type VIIC) the game crashes on clicking Uboat campaign. Any advice on how to get these to work?
soloshrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-21, 08:11 PM   #2
Mork_417
Lieutenant Commander

Downloads: 263

Default Welcome Aboard!

Hey soloshrov.
Old 08-17-21, 10:41 PM   #3
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by soloshrov View Post
So I've for the most part learned how to edit the files and get late game torps and upgrades at the beginning of the game, but I've been running into a massive issue with subs.

If I take any post September 1st start date sub and put it into one of those flotillas (whether it be Type IXD-2, Type XXI, Type VIIC) the game crashes on clicking Uboat campaign. Any advice on how to get these to work?
well, soloshrov, there is more to the sim than changing start dates for weapons. no offense intended here but the boats and equipment and weapons have complex relationships within the app. you may make an upgrade available but the boat you attempting to use it on may not have the proper equipment to make it work and you experience a CTD (crash to desktop). the error handling for SH4 is non-existent but that is a different issue.

now, you have a subject title that includes the Type XXI which is a late war model. many pieces have to be in place to make that boat work properly: bases, flotillas, on board equipment, etc, and just about all of them do not become available until late in the war.

my apologies for sounding so negative but it is what it is. Fifi and his team (yes, i was a member) worked very hard to cure some of the Op Monsun Issues and cutdown on the CTD's but one has to use the mod as it exists. if you make additional mods on it you need to be very sure that all of the new pieces fit with the DW pieces otherwise...poof...CTD.

my advice is to play it the way it is. choose a boat and flotilla and play it until you are destroyed or the career path ends. then choose another boat and flotilla. DW will not play like the US-Pacific theatre.

so, i wish you good luck with whatever path you choose.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-21, 09:26 AM   #4
soloshrov
Swabbie

Default Answered it myself

Thanks for the response but ive played nearly all the way through 3 times so I was looking for a way to spice up early war, and I figured out how.

You have to go into the Flotilla mission file for the German campaign and edit each flotilla, all you need to do is composite whichever sub you want into the flotilla and add a mission set behind it. Example here

[Flotilla 4.UserPlayerUnitType 3]
ID= F4XXI
NameDisplayable= Type XXI U-boat
AvailabilityInterval= 1940-04-01, 1945-01-01
IDLinkUserPlayerUnitType= XXI
UnitTypeCommonality= 16
IDFlotillaLinkTransferTo= NULL

Then you add it into the careerstart file and boom, CTD fixed and submarine is playable at start, but you then fall into another issue. The game tries to give you objectives in Freemantle and the rest of Oceania, to fix this I simply went into the patrol files and set the Freemantle date to 1945 and boom, Atlantic convoy raiding Missions in the Type XXI or any sub in 1939.

If anyone finds this thread looking to do what i did but wants a proper explanation ill come back and explain everything.

Last edited by soloshrov; 09-04-21 at 09:30 AM. Reason: fixing typos
Old 09-04-21, 11:53 AM   #5
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

soloshrov!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-21, 02:17 PM   #6
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Thanks for the response but ive played nearly all the way through 3 times so I was looking for a way to spice up early war, and I figured out how.

You have to go into the Flotilla mission file for the German campaign and edit each flotilla, all you need to do is composite whichever sub you want into the flotilla and add a mission set behind it. Example here

[Flotilla 4.UserPlayerUnitType 3]
ID= F4XXI
NameDisplayable= Type XXI U-boat
AvailabilityInterval= 1940-04-01, 1945-01-01
IDLinkUserPlayerUnitType= XXI
UnitTypeCommonality= 16
IDFlotillaLinkTransferTo= NULL

Then you add it into the careerstart file and boom, CTD fixed and submarine is playable at start, but you then fall into another issue. The game tries to give you objectives in Freemantle and the rest of Oceania, to fix this I simply went into the patrol files and set the Freemantle date to 1945 and boom, Atlantic convoy raiding Missions in the Type XXI or any sub in 1939.

If anyone finds this thread looking to do what i did but wants a proper explanation ill come back and explain everything.
glad you worked it out.
question: did you edit the Type XXI UPC file for availability? i ask because that boat is not available until June 1944.

LAA enabled
Old 09-04-21, 02:43 PM   #7
soloshrov
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
glad you worked it out.
question: did you edit the Type XXI UPC file for availability? i ask because that boat is not available until June 1944.

I believe I did, though the main thing I had issues with was Startup CTD which I fixed. Also went through and tested all upgrades and they all function fine in 1939 after editing their dates. Currently having an issue with saves freezing my game in 1940 so I'm going to do more research into how stable my editing is.
Old 09-04-21, 09:37 PM   #8
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
I believe I did, though the main thing I had issues with was Startup CTD which I fixed. Also went through and tested all upgrades and they all function fine in 1939 after editing their dates. Currently having an issue with saves freezing my game in 1940 so I'm going to do more research into how stable my editing is.
not surprising.
the type 21 is a 1944 boat and you activated her in 1940.
the CTD's are probably due to an availability date for some piece of equipment.
don't forget the UNITPARTS file. that will have all of the turm equipment.
and the Ammunition, Weapons, and Upgrades files for 1944-45 dates.

LAA enabled
Old 09-05-21, 02:22 PM   #9
soloshrov
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
not surprising.
the type 21 is a 1944 boat and you activated her in 1940.
the CTD's are probably due to an availability date for some piece of equipment.
don't forget the UNITPARTS file. that will have all of the turm equipment.
and the Ammunition, Weapons, and Upgrades files for 1944-45 dates.
It doesn't appear that the Type XXI has any dates in its unitparts file, and every single upgrade and torpedo is set for a pre war date (can use acoustics in 1939). Going to do further testing as i ran into the Please Wait freeze on my second playthrough.

I'm going to go through the files for each Uboat as I do have the C/41 and D-2 with a 1939 appearance date.

Last edited by soloshrov; 09-05-21 at 02:24 PM. Reason: adding more info.