SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-02-21, 04:43 PM   #1
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 3
Default Air Force - SH5 planes pack

Air Force
SH5 planes pack v.1.0

Alaaaaarm! Clear the bridge, close hatch, flood ballast tanks and alle Männer voraus, because Allied air forces have just received some brand new ASW planes. This pack will bring the following planes into SH5:

B-18 Bolo bomber (in two variants: regular B-18A that was used early during Operation Drumbeat and B-18B – dedicated ASW conversion)
Bristol Beaufighter
Lockheed Hudson
Lockheed Ventura
Whitworth Armstrong Whitley
CRDA CANT Z-501
Grumman J2F "Duck"

Additionally, I remodeled stock "Heavy Bomber" fictional plane from vanilla game into what it was meant to represent from the start – Liberator Gr. Mk. III, and provided Coastal Command textures for it and for Boeing B-17 Fortress (B-17 is already included in TwoS, but it is flying for USAAF, when historically it was only used in ASW role by RAF). I also remodeled "Floating Plane" (another fictional plane that Ubisoft used as stand-in for Catalina) to resemble real Catalina (it's still not 100% accurate but close).

I made some modifications to air wings of bases in campaign – nothing drastic (full overhaul would be possible upon completion of Gap's research), just enough to make sure new planes will appear in campaign within historical timeframe.

Download Links/Installation

Version for vanilla SH5:

For non-TWoS players, will work with vanilla SH5 version 1.2. To install, copy it into your mods folder and enable with JGSME.

This version does not include: B-17, TWoS weapons (rockets, Leigh Light etc), and Brazilian/Australian camouflage.

Version for TWoS 2.2.24

Requires TWoS (version 2.2.24) to work . If you use TWoS 2.2.24, just drop mod folder into your TWoS_Parts and enable mod in JGSME.

Credits:

Beaufighter, Whitley, and Ventura models are work of manilov.ap – check out his amazing collection of planes here.

Hudson was converted from Psy06's model created originally for SH3:

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=97443

I used SH4 version of this model featured in FotRSU – big thanks to Psy06, s7rikeback & propbeanie for permission to use it and to gap for converting it into easier to edit format. FotRSU version was made by CapnScurvy for his Day of Infamy mod.

Pack includes .dat file of B-17 Fortress from vdr1981's TWoS mod which I had to modify to enable multiple textures.

Grumman J2F "Duck" recon plane was created byTestpilot, and imported to SH5 by Oby - thanks to both Testpilot and Oby for this cool plane.

Special thanks to vdr1981 for fixing controller files of new planes and making sure they are compatible with other TWoS units.

Last edited by kapuhy; 05-09-21 at 04:26 PM.
kapuhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-21, 04:44 PM   #2
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

All model/camouflage variants:

RAF:

USAAF:

RAAF:

RA:

Catalina model comparison:

Old 05-02-21, 08:07 PM   #3
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Downloads: 527
Uploads: 5

Epic!! Epic!!

What an amazing mod!

Again, thanks for your hard work!

Will download ASAP!

I'm not very active on the forums anymore. If you have a question, please DM me and I'll respond ASAP!
Texas Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-21, 02:52 AM   #4
Propnut17
Mate

Downloads: 68
Uploads: 0

Kapuhy you have now initiated that the Captain perform a periscope lookout before surfacing, especially in daytime, if not done, it is at his peril. Well done on adding a vital component to this great sub-sim.
Propnut17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-21, 05:28 AM   #5
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

Thank you for your hard work! If you don't mind I would like to mod some of them into freighter deck cargo. You will be credited.

Interesting thing is, Canada was used as a refurbishing hub for RAF aircaft which were shipped Eastbound when they got worn out. So we can have them as deck cargo for both OB and HX convoys.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-21, 06:29 AM   #6
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambecomelife View Post
Thank you for your hard work! If you don't mind I would like to mod some of them into freighter deck cargo. You will be credited.

Interesting thing is, Canada was used as a refurbishing hub for RAF aircaft which were shipped Eastbound when they got worn out. So we can have them as deck cargo for both OB and HX convoys.
Sure, feel free to use them. If it will be more convenient to you, I also have all models in Blender and Wavefront files.
Old 05-03-21, 01:34 PM   #7
Niume
Sea Lord

Downloads: 499
Uploads: 2

One question, why the hell SH5 stock used 3 engines and triple tail on CATALINA????????????

GLORY TO UKRAINE!

[ENG] SH 4 KSD II Ace Edition
Niume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-21, 02:02 PM   #8
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niume View Post
One question, why the hell SH5 stock used 3 engines and triple tail on CATALINA????????????
Licensing rights. Apparently, in order to include a model of Catalina in your game you need to pay the company which produced Catalinas and still holds the copyright. However, in order to include a generic "American Flying Boat" you don't have to pay a dime to anyone.

I looked at textures and models up close while working on them and I'm convinced planes in SH5 were originally modeled correctly, but then (perhaps due to not being able to work a good enough deal on licensing fees) Ubisoft management told graphics designers to strap on some random parts like third engine and triple tail to mask models identity.
Old 05-03-21, 04:58 PM   #9
vickers03
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 705
Uploads: 37

outstanding work!
vickers03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-21, 01:32 PM   #10
skin-nl
KapitainLeutnant

Downloads: 244

Great mod again kapuhy....outstanding work
Old 05-05-21, 02:51 PM   #11
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambecomelife View Post

EDIT: I mean shipped Westbound when they got worn out! Thank you for the permission.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-21, 04:29 AM   #12
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Wonderful work Kapuhy! Thank you very much!

Files are re-saved, check your PM.
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-21, 04:29 PM   #13
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
Files are re-saved, check your PM.
Thank you I updated link in first post.