Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-29-09, 04:52 AM   #1
tonyj
Torpedoman

Downloads: 74
Uploads: 0
Default water rendering in games

Can you think of good examples of ingame water rendering? to kick this off i was thinking Crysis and Battlestations Pacific as good examples of capturing the lighting and movement. I also found the calm sea of SH3 very good as well. any others?

cheers
Tony
tonyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-09, 05:24 AM   #2
Sonarman
The Old Man

Downloads: 79

The sailing games & in particular " " have nice water with great boat physics. A nice rough sea with plenty of spume & spray can be seen in . In terms of recently released games, the two age of sail strategy games & also have some really nice effects.

Whilst it's not been great in the past, the water in the forthcoming certainly looks an improvement over previous incarnations. Perhaps the best water rendering is that which we have lost from PT-Boats Knights of the Sea as this shows, sadly the game took a bit of a change of direction and the water effects were reduced from the level shown. Hopefully the forthcoming Battlefront release of the game will reinstate some of the physics and effects that had us all drooling about three years ago back into the game.

Over on Gametrailers.com user Huss2215 has created an interesting video report featuring what he considers the the top 20 water graphics in today's games.

Of course if you have a few thousand bucks to hand you could always buy a professional level ship simulator

Last edited by Sonarman; 10-29-09 at 11:23 AM.
Sonarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-09, 05:46 AM   #3
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

They said they are bringing SH5 up to current specs so i take it that would mean graphics too . I am sick of crap graphics .
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-09, 07:16 AM   #4
Sonarman
The Old Man

Downloads: 79

I'm not too bothered about the graphics and certainly think SH4 water looked good, where it fell down and where most attention I think should be paid is to the ship physics, how the ship performs and pitches and rolls with the waves etc. This was portrayed quite well in SH3 but was pretty much diabolical in SH4 where the whole "on rails" feeling detracted massively from the atmosphere of the game, this is a definite "must fix" for SH5.

Last edited by Sonarman; 10-29-09 at 11:19 AM.
Sonarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-09, 11:30 AM   #5
kptn_kaiserhof
XO

Downloads: 42

sonarman i agree with you i love the visable torpedo and dg shell hole on the ships
kptn_kaiserhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-21, 10:59 PM   #6
huss2215
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonarman View Post
The sailing games & in particular " " have nice water with great boat physics. A nice rough sea with plenty of spume & spray can be seen in . In terms of recently released games, the two age of sail strategy games & also have some really nice effects.

Whilst it's not been great in the past, the water in the forthcoming certainly looks an improvement over previous incarnations. Perhaps the best water rendering is that which we have lost from PT-Boats Knights of the Sea as this shows, sadly the game took a bit of a change of direction and the water effects were reduced from the level shown. Hopefully the forthcoming Battlefront release of the game will reinstate some of the physics and effects that had us all drooling about three years ago back into the game.

Over on Gametrailers.com user Huss2215 has created an interesting video report featuring what he considers the the top 20 water graphics in today's games.

Of course if you have a few thousand bucks to hand you could always buy a professional level ship simulator

Hello Sonarman,

12 years later and I have found your post! Thank you for mentioning me! Sorry I missed out on Silent Hunter games, they do have great water!!! Anyway, sorry for the necro post! peace!

VIDEO GAME WATER FOR LIFE!!
huss2215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-21, 12:01 AM   #7
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

Huss2215! in this case...a necro after 12 years...is "water under the bridge!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote