Uploads: 10

LOL
gutted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-10, 11:48 PM   #32
malkuth74
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 20
Uploads: 0

Like to tell the devs something... When its not broke don't fix it. Auto TDC worked fine in the last 2 games. Why did you go and make this boehamouth carppy new system for.

Alright I played around with it a little a figured it out. You have to basically play connect the freaking dots with AUTO TDC. In this case connect the numbers.

Don't use TDC ON. Bad for auto...
1. Set your torpedo speed for it reaches the ship numbers on the Tac Map. Matters how close you are.

Now line up the closes two numbers to each other and push the stupid fire button.

Connect the dots. You have about a 75% chance of hitting it at this point.

Good luck.

What a crappy system.. My god nothing wrong with the old way,,, It made us feel special... Like we could do it, when we could not. This dot system is a freaking joke.

Now I have to learn manual.. Because Now it makes me feel to stupid... LOL.

Auto connect the dots they should call it. What a disgrace.

malkuth74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-10, 11:58 PM   #33
Frederf
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 79
Uploads: 1

Manual targeting goons
Ruin everything
Thread about shooting auto
Frederf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-10, 12:13 AM   #34
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

Downloads: 105

Almost right, fredderf
Haiku is Five-Seven-Five
But points for effort.

Want more U-boat Kaleun portraits for your SH3 Commander Profiles? Download the SH3 Commander Portrait Pack here.
mookiemookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-10, 12:48 AM   #35
Husksubsky
XO

Downloads: 254

Now if your know your course is 0° and his course is 270° and his relative bearing is 50°, you can do the math for angle on the bow.

So its Target True Bearing + (plus) Ships Course - (minus) 180 = AOB Which in our case is:

50 + 270 - 180 = 140 AOB

Now adjust the range and confirm the speed.

Now if your True Target Bearing is 350°, you would simply minus 10 from the formula as so:

10 - 270 - 180 = 80 AOB

hmm you don t need to know the bearing or your course as long as you know his course and what magnetic direction he is in. ( but after all bearing + ship course is the same as magnetic direction).Just felt for underlining that where you point your nose has nothing to do with AOB. Sorry for being difficult..nothing you said was wrong

(and sorry for messing up quote arggh how do I quote parts of a text?)
Husksubsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-10, 02:45 AM   #36
Frederf
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 79

I counted about as 2 syllables for some reason.
Frederf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-10, 08:46 AM   #37
Galanti
Captain

Downloads: 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkuth74 View Post
Like to tell the devs something... When its not broke don't fix it. Auto TDC worked fine in the last 2 games. Why did you go and make this boehamouth carppy new system for.

Alright I played around with it a little a figured it out. You have to basically play connect the freaking dots with AUTO TDC. In this case connect the numbers.

1. Set your torpedo speed for it reaches the ship numbers on the Tac Map. Matters how close you are.

Now line up the closes two numbers to each other and push the stupid fire button.

Good luck.

What a crappy system.. My god nothing wrong with the old way,,, It made us feel special... Like we could do it, when we could not. This dot system is a freaking joke.

I had been hoping to use auto TDC so I could focus on being the captain, but I can't bring myself to use that ridiculous line up the numbers thing myself. Wholeheartedly concur with your post.

However, I do like the way manual TDC replicates the data gathering-order giving model of torpedo firing so I'm not to put out by going over to manual. OTH, there are appear to bugs with this as well, and I don't care for the way the recognition manual appears in this installment.
Galanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-10, 08:59 AM   #38
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 343

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookiemookie View Post

Another question - I'm having trouble hitting stuff too...when using the stadimeter, what are you lining it up with? I'm putting the horizontal crosshair on the waterline, then bringing it up to match the top of the masts where the flag is flying. Should we be doing that? Or is it the top of the funnels?

good question, nothing in the manual on that. I thought it was the top of masts, although I have been getting more accurate readings from the top of the funnels. DDRGN had mentioned bridge decks. It would be nice to figure this one out.
Old 03-03-10, 09:07 AM   #39
McHibbins
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 80

Maybe try this :

or maybe this is your problem ?

Old 03-03-10, 09:14 AM   #40
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 343

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkuth74 View Post

Good luck.

there also seems to be a problem with the fix in 1.01 to auot targeting, namely:

1. w. manual TDC + map updates "off" + TDC off + locked TGT:

-you get no info on the track of your TGT, but the firing solution (yellow line) is aiming at where your TGT is going. On 100% realism, the firing solution w. TDC off should point straight down the sight bearing (i.e. where your scope is aiming)

example:

2. w. manual TDC + map updates "on" + TDC off + locked TGT:

-the situation is reversed. You get info on the track of your TGT, but the firing solution (yellow line) is aiming straight down the sight bearing (i.e. where your scope is aiming) and not where the ship moving to.

example:

in this shot, I have locked on to a ship in the view of my scope (the light blue cone). You see the ship and its predicted track, but the predicted path of my torpedo (yellow line) now aims correctly straight down the view bearing (i.e. down the light blue cone);

the fix has been reversed, on 100% realism, w. manual TDC + map updates off + TDC off, you should not see the ship or its predicted path and the torpedo should shoot straight down the bearing (i.e. light blue cone).

until this is fixed, the game is only playable with manual TDC + TDC on.

Last edited by Bilge_Rat; 03-03-10 at 09:32 AM.
Bilge_Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-10, 09:16 AM   #41
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederf View Post
I counted about as 2 syllables for some reason.
Yeah, but that line should have 5 syllables, not 7.

Want more U-boat Kaleun portraits for your SH3 Commander Profiles? Download the SH3 Commander Portrait Pack here.
Old 03-03-10, 09:48 AM   #42
joejccva71
Watch

Downloads: 28

I have to agree with Malkuth. If the system was working in 2 previous games, why change it? For something to do?

Seriously, this "connect the dot" system is a complete joke, and it caters to the console gamer mentality honestly. Slowly I see this franchise going from true simulation to an arcade shooter with eye candy.

Don't companies understand that there are gamers out there that actually like realism and true simulation instead of only eye candy?

Sheesh.
joejccva71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-10, 09:50 AM   #43
ddrgn
Korvettenkapitän

Downloads: 362
Uploads: 30

Those dots can be easily modded out. Relax.
ddrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-10, 09:52 AM   #44
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejccva71 View Post
Don't companies understand that there are gamers out there that actually like realism and true simulation instead of only eye candy?
Sad fact of the matter is that games without great graphics just don't sell. So they're forced to sink a lot of time and resources into graphics. Gameplay suffers for it.

Old 03-03-10, 09:54 AM   #45
Itkovian
Helmsman

Downloads: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilge_Rat View Post
good question, nothing in the manual on that. I thought it was the top of masts, although I have been getting more accurate readings from the top of the funnels. DDRGN had mentioned bridge decks. It would be nice to figure this one out.
Aye, this is my primary problem right now. Without knowing how to use the stadi, it is very difficult to get any kind of proper solution. Indeed, seems to me getting accurate range is the key (alongside angle-off-bow) to get proper solutions through the new manual TDC.

I'll try doing waterline-to-funnel with map updates on, and see if it matches.

Itkovian
Itkovian is offline   Reply With Quote