SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-11-20, 12:56 PM   #16
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

If you're interested further in my views on RDR 2, here's a link to a thread at SimHQ where I make a lot of posts about my experience as I played the game. I am DBond there. I took quite a few screenshots too. Skip ahead to page three to pass the pre-release speculation if desired.

RDR 2 Thread @ SimHQ

I did have some technical issues at launch, but those were resolved and it ended up being one of the best games I've played. Top shelf.
Old 12-19-20, 07:09 AM   #17
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threadfin View Post
In case you were not aware, RDR 1 is console-only.

No did not know that. Thanks

I only play games on real computers
(ducking)
Old 12-19-20, 08:36 AM   #18
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1375

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapus View Post

(ducking)
lol you use to be able to download a thing on the computer to run ps games on the computer dont know if you still can or not but you have to have a pretty good game system to play them if rdr2 look as good on the pc has ps4 it is almost real life and the lighting is wow good thing about the pc you can mod gta and im sure you can mod rdr2
Old 12-19-20, 08:52 AM   #19
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Some impressive screenshots there, Threadfin.
Old 12-19-20, 09:01 AM   #20
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapus View Post

(ducking)

Well then, you should play RDR 2. It's a game I put up there with the best. Alongside games like Deus Ex, Witcher 3 and Half Life. It's on that level, or even beyond. I would have paid $35 just for the poker lol.

I played RDR 2 in first person, although I set it up to automatically switch to third person when I mounted a horse, and then it would switch back when I dismounted.

If I consider all aspects of game design, I struggle to spot one where Rockstar came up short with this game. From sound design, to combat, to story, world building, graphics, voice acting, dialog and quest structure, Rockstar nailed it. There is so much to do, and the sights are amazing. The draw distance is insane, especially considering how good it looks. And on top of all that, it runs well and bug-free. I'm not much for hyperbole, but I've been gaming for a long time, as many here have, and RDR 2 is one of the very best games I've ever played. If you have any interest in first or third person RPGs you have to play this game. Wait for a sale if you must, but give it a go. You can read more detail about my experience through my run in the thread I linked above as well as some screenshots to gauge graphics quality. Those shots were all taken at the 'balanced' graphics preset.
Old 12-19-20, 09:06 AM   #21
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Some impressive screenshots there, Threadfin.

We posted at the same time, and thanks. It's a beautiful game, it really is. Stunning. It's strengths go way beyond that too. I'm not a R* fan boy, but I do like GTA 5. RDR 2 though, is a step above. It's an epic game that anyone with even a mild interest in this sort of game should play.
Old 12-19-20, 11:33 AM   #22
Skybird
Soaring

Is it more story-driven like Ethan Carter, you play it once and then never again; or is it more open world like Oblivion or Skyrim where you can but must not follow the main storyline, instead doing your own thing?
Old 12-19-20, 11:48 AM   #23
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

It has a fantastic story arc, really. But it is open world and you can do your own thing, at your own pace.

The story does unlock many of the best items and abilities. But aside from that you can just go at your own pace and could spend dozens of hours just fishing, hunting or playing cards.

Naturally the game I'd most closely compare it to is GTA 5. It shares many of the same design concepts.
Old 12-19-20, 12:05 PM   #24
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

on ps4 fishing you can set it up to use the d button instead of the right stick if you have gta 5 and rdr2 you can do treasure missions online and unlock stuff on both games even get money
Old 12-19-20, 02:40 PM   #25
Skybird
Soaring

Never played GTA 1-5 either. But I love Skyrim, Fallout 4, Oblivion back in those years, Test Drive Unlimited and The Hunter Classic and TH Call of the Wild. Do I miss something with GTA ?
Old 12-19-20, 02:52 PM   #26
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Do I miss something with GTA ?

I think it's a lot of fun, but others hate it. No accounting for taste. It's often on sale, so worth a punt. It is the single most successful entertainment venture ever, so obviously plenty of people like what GTA brings. But it's not for everyone, just like anything.

I wasn't interested until they added first person mode. Once they did I thought why not have a bash, and I ended up really enjoying the story mode (single player), which I've now finished twice. I had such a good time I decided to try GTA Online to extend my content. It sort of sucked at first, but I learned how to play without idiots and am now level 125 and play in public all the time.

I don't know, maybe read a few reviews and see if you think it sounds appealing. If you have any questions I'll be happy to answer. At this point I'd suggest RDR 2 over GTA for most players, but it really comes down to taste, and in my case, I like both games.
Old 12-19-20, 03:01 PM   #27
Skybird
Soaring

I mark it a blip on my radarscreen, thanks.
Old 12-19-20, 03:26 PM   #28
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

thing i like about gta5 story is you play 3 differnt people and if you had a bad day in real life take the car to the beach and play pumper car with people