SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > UBOAT
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-22-20, 06:13 AM   #1
Sparky2005
Nub

Downloads: 14
Uploads: 0
Default Is Uboat worth picking up now?

Hey subsimmers, long time no chat

Want to get back into subsims again. I was going to buy SH5. Had it on DVD back in the day but all my physical games media is long gone. So was going to buy it on Uplay but thought I'd check out the modding scene first and have read a few people having to fight that storefront to get the mod working. TBH I don't want to deal with Uplay suddenly updating and breaking things.

So, also had my eye on UBOAT. The RPG aspect looks cool even if the sim aspect is heavily simplified. Judging by Steam it looks like it had a somewhat rocky launch but people seem to like it now and the devs seem like they're working hard on it.

Anyone still playing? Would you recommend picking it up?
Sparky2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-20, 09:35 AM   #2
Cybermat47
Willing Webfooted Beast

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 22

Can’t comment on UBOAT I’m afraid, but if you get SH5 on Steam and install the Wolves of Steel mod, Uplay will just be a bad memory.
Old 06-22-20, 12:21 PM   #3
Sparky2005
Nub

Downloads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybermat47 View Post
if you get SH5 on Steam and install the Wolves of Steel mod, Uplay will just be a bad memory.
That's awesome, thank you! Will do that
Sparky2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-20, 08:24 PM   #4
Laffertytig
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 110

Uboat will eventually eclipse the silent hunter series (I've played them all since SH1) if it keeps goin the way its goin.

I bought it last year when it first came out on early access and it was very buggy as well as arcady but the difference between then and now is night and day.

Check out the historical tdc mod for example, fantastic stuff!

Cant recommend enough
Laffertytig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-20, 11:18 AM   #5
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Also you can get UBoat on GOG, no need to deal with Steam and Uplay. Prices may differ however.

XS
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-20, 02:35 PM   #6
Lite_ly Salted
A-ganger

Downloads: 0

Getting this title while it's in early access is a surefire way of paying half (or less) price for what is shaping up to be a AAA title. Couldn't recommend it more.
Lite_ly Salted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-20, 04:49 PM   #7
Engineer

Downloads: 2

Icon14

To answer your question and I'm sure others would like to know too. I have sat down and made this short video.

http://www.dreadnoughtproject.org/heinrich/main.htm
Current stage: 2 - Pre Alpha
2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-20, 01:07 PM   #8
Coral
Seaman

Downloads: 142
Default Uboat vs. Wolfpack for single player

I have not played a sub sim for awhile and I am thinking of getting back into this area. I plan to play only single player for awhile. So the question is which one do I buy- uboat or wolfpack and why?
Coral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-20, 01:13 PM   #9
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral View Post
I have not played a sub sim for awhile and I am thinking of getting back into this area. I plan to play only single player for awhile. So the question is which one do I buy- uboat or wolfpack and why?
Buy both in the great covid lockdown ! WHY U ask? WEll... you've got the time during the great lockdown-as evidenced by record captains checking in after years to ... and you're supporting the depressed economy! AND: Welcome aboard: Sparky2005!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 12-25-20 at 07:07 PM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-20, 11:11 PM   #10
Fidgety
Mate

Downloads: 33

I can promise you, the game is a bug ridden mess and not worth your money. Please trust me, the devs are incapable of fixing game breaking bugs and spend their time adding usless planes to the game that modders would happily do for free if they had the means to.

Dont get wrapped up in what any fan boys say or maybe even the devs alts accounts.

You cant play a full campaign.

Just read the steam forums to confirm what I'm saying and look for save loading crash etc.

Complete waste of money. Almost a scam but not quite due to being early access. The reason I say almost is you have to realize these problems have been going on for 5 years of crappy development. DONT HOLD YOUR BREATH AND DONT WASTE YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY!
Fidgety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-20, 07:52 AM   #11
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidgety View Post
I can promise you, the game is a bug ridden mess and not worth your money. Please trust me, the devs are incapable of fixing game breaking bugs and spend their time adding usless planes to the game that modders would happily do for free if they had the means to.

Dont get wrapped up in what any fan boys say or maybe even the devs alts accounts.

You cant play a full campaign.

Just read the steam forums to confirm what I'm saying and look for save loading crash etc.

Complete waste of money. Almost a scam but not quite due to being early access. The reason I say almost is you have to realize these problems have been going on for 5 years of crappy development. DONT HOLD YOUR BREATH AND DONT WASTE YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY!
Right, and dont believe the thousands of steam reviewers 'Most positive' score either, i guess they are all conspiring fan boys and devs alt accounts etc.

The last patch they added 2 new planes and about 15 new ships, first time they added any new units for over year, and how many fixes were included int hat very same patch?, have you even read the patch notes? it will take you 20 minutes to read it because thats how long it is, (and that's just one patch.) I wont even copy and paste it here its so long the mods would likley delete my post.

Almost every two months they have release a patch with new features and very long list of fixe, with hotfixes being applied in the days and weeks afterwards
and by the way i made those two 'usless planes' for the team for free. so they didnt even spend much of their own time on them.
As for modding support, it was added within the first 9 months of EA, the reason few will make mods for an EA game is obvious to anyone with half a brain.
constant patches and fixes will break them.

if you hate the game maybe get a steam refund, your are free to trash the game in respect to what you dont like about it, the game is certainly not with out it faults, but please refrain from spreading misinformation. Doesnt make you look good, neither does writing in caps.

Last edited by JU_88; 09-03-20 at 01:18 PM.
JU_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-20, 11:15 AM   #12
Harddrivegames
Nub

Downloads: 2
Default It's worth the support

Ahoy!

I think that, right now, this game is worth supporting it's development by spending the early access price.

Check on www.isthereanydeal.com for deals in the various legal videogame shops, such as GoG.

As a game, it's playable and fun enough, still as others say too, is still arcade-ish, but with signs to become a serious sim over time.

I have started a few months ago a videogames channel, and while i'm learning the ropes on writting and video making, i have chosen this game to start off because.. well, i love sims and submarines.

Also because even if it is in early (very early) access state, it shows a lot of promise:

- They have put a LOT of effort by rendering the entire interior of a VIIIC Uboat, every lever is there to look at it, and this shows me that they are serious about this sim.

- The RPG and crew management focus seems a very inmersive idea, wich puts you even deeper into the simulation and that is also very promising.

So, Early access games are a bet. You pay for chances of that game not becoming what promises, not finished at all, or other outcomes.

I dont support early access games easily, but this is, in my opinion, worth risking the coin, because... how many developers are going to try to make a serious subsim nowadays?

For the record, the only other two games i had supported while they were developed have been Kerbal Space Program and Universim.

So in short: Its a playable mock up of a game, if you buy it now it has to be because you want to support their ideas and willing to bet some coin.
Harddrivegames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-20, 11:33 AM   #13
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

Harddrivegames! nice first post!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-20, 02:40 AM   #14
Backscuttle
A-ganger

Downloads: 108

I have recently jumped back into Uboat. It was VERY buggy in the early days. But recently I am having no problems. That being said, if you install mods make sure that you run a beta that is compatible with the mod. (Betas are selected via steam library> right click game >properties> betas tag).
Personally I am using b127 with various mods. Check out forums or Google for mod recommendations.
I like SH5 WoS as well, but this has some different elements which are ok. Of course the downside is that any updates will probably render any mods as useless until the modder updates. But, hey ho - c`est la vie.
Backscuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-20, 12:02 PM   #15
SDFilm
Watch

Downloads: 12

Using version B128

The UBOAT UI feels very clunky; I try to do basic things such as find a torpodo fire button, reading skipper's log messages etc and instead I'm forced to take a tour of the uboat by foot. For example it gave me a warning that my compressed air level was too low; instead of giving me a quick order button from the engineering officer's planel I instead had to walk around the boat and operate the compressor by hand, which is pretty awesome with the fact that you're able to do that but it's also inconvenient in what could be the heat of battle. I'm not writing it off as a terrible game as there could just be some hotkeys that I've missed, but at least from the first impressions it feels more centered on boat management rather than intuitive combat.

Last edited by SDFilm; 12-25-20 at 12:11 PM.
SDFilm is offline   Reply With Quote