SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-05-08, 12:22 PM   #31
Zantham
中国水兵

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate
Zantham, I got the Type18 to work with the snorkel.
But I had to delete some folders from the mod:
- data\roster
- data\submarine\NSS_Uboat18

Now the only problems are CO2 increasing while snorkeling and speed doubles doubles also while snorkeling and in diesel engines..
Yup I have exactly the same problems, CO2 increasing, and the speed thing too, in the XVIII, haven't had a chance to try the IX-D2.

I think he is trying to make the XVIII into an XXI and has changed a few other things besides the snorkel, I think when I checked my Range to Empty I got a much larger number than I did on the stock XVIII (about double), which a XXI does have range comparable to an IX-D2, which is about double what you get with the XVIII in
game.
Zantham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-08, 12:25 PM   #32
Stuffer
Watch

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 0

I think the speed thing is because he also converted the XVIII into a XXI. So it should pretty much stay submerged all the time since now it travels faster under the surface than above.

To go back to a XVIII, all you gotta do is copy over the original propulsion parameters in the NSS_Uboat18.sim file to the modded version. Do this for surface, submerged and hydro.
Stuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-08, 02:11 PM   #33
Xantrokoles
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 13

So u see...
I am no modder
But I would be an ***hole when I would have a snorkel and u have no chance to have one
So her is my Basic Version with many many bugs and u got the modderskills(and maybe more time)

gg
If anyone gets the mod working and he tested it, it would be cool, when he load it up and gives it free for download
Because we all want to snort together right?

I am not sure wether the snorkels gave air into the sub or only to the engines
but I am sure that it isn't possibe to get this working...
But i don't cross the indian ozean in snorkeldeepth...
Old 03-05-08, 02:49 PM   #34
Delareon
Planesman

Downloads: 77

I have the same problem like some posts above, the mod is cool but the hydrophone stops working.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Edit: after a few tests i see something strange,
when i start a new career and check for upgrades, i found the hydrophone in the upgrade list.
But when i try to install that upgrade pack i get the message that this type of upgrade cant be installed on my ship.

Last edited by Delareon; 03-05-08 at 03:27 PM.
Delareon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-08, 03:49 PM   #35
Zantham
中国水兵

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xantrokoles
So u see...
I am not sure wether the snorkels gave air into the sub or only to the engines
but I am sure that it isn't possibe to get this working...
But i don't cross the indian ozean in snorkeldeepth...
Just to clarify the first download for the IX-D2 boat works 100% from what I've tested. I have not tried the IX-D2 in the second download, just the XVIII.

Thanks for sharing this mod with us Xantrokoles, we appreciate your work on it
Old 03-05-08, 03:49 PM   #36
Stuffer
Watch

Yeah, I see that as well. Mine would actually install, but all it does was take renown for it was the same hydrophone that was already installed. With either one, the hydrophone doesn't work.

I'm going to start going through all the mod's additions one by one to try and figure out what's causing the hydrophone issue.

@Zantham
Did the snorkel keep your CO2 level from rising as well? I notice that between the first and second release, different files were changed but both seem to achieve the same overall effect. If the first mod was working correctly, maybe applying those changes to the XVIII will get everything working 100% again.
Old 03-05-08, 04:05 PM   #37
Zantham
中国水兵

The first file is IX-D2 snorkel only. My CO2 levels didn't rise with this mod that I recall, I'd have to try it again to be 100% certain, tho I may not have tried it for long enough; I'm 99% sure it was fine. Didn't notice problems with the hydrophone either, but again I was not specifically looking for this. Really I'd have to redownload it to say for sure.

When I tried the 2nd download, I tried it only on the XVIII, and with that one my CO2 levels rose, tho quite slowly. I didn't notice whether the hydrophones were working or not, in either file. I'd have to redownload it again to try. Sadly my modding skills are rather limited, hopefully Xantrokoles doesn't give up on us.
Old 03-05-08, 04:36 PM   #38
Stuffer
Watch

Well I've pinpointed the problem to the equipment.upc file. So I'm going to start going through it to see what changed in relation to the hydrophone...I'll let you know if I figure it out.
Old 03-05-08, 04:53 PM   #39
Xantrokoles
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuffer
Well I've pinpointed the problem to the equipment.upc file. So I'm going to start going through it to see what changed in relation to the hydrophone...I'll let you know if I figure it out.

I marked the schnorchel as a eqptypehydrophone ...this is might the problem!
but it makes no problems with my loved 9d
I test it
Old 03-05-08, 04:58 PM   #40
Stuffer
Watch

Yeah, changing that didn't seem to affect it. What I found was that you made an entry for Equipment 40 in the equipment.upc file.

But there is already an entry for Equipment 40 further up the file and it's for the Type XXI/XVIII hydrophone.

So, I think I got the problem fixed, I'm just going to do a bit more testing. I'm making the snorkel its own Equipment line and at the bottom of the file, theres a number that states how many Equipment entries are in the file. So I've upped it by one making the snorkel entry number 43 and leaving 41 as the Alternative texture.
Old 03-05-08, 05:57 PM   #41
Stuffer
Watch

It is working just fine now, but I couldn't figure out how to add the snorkel as a new piece of equipment instead of replacing something else. Since I'm using my sub as a Type XXI instead of a XVIII, I replaced the turbine with the snorkel. The "alternate texture" piece of equipment appears to be a darker/dirtier skin for the Type IX, but I can't say for sure. That's the only other piece of equipment I could see that you would want to replace with the snorkel. I'm going to keep looking into it to see if I can't get it added as something totally new.

In the meantime, I'll put together a new package with my changes for both the Type XVIII and the Type XXI conversion...with Xant's permission of course. I also changed the diesel and electric motor specs to be more Type XXI accurate, as well as ranges at specific speeds submerged and surfaced.

I'm also looking into changing battery recharge times, so if anyone knows anything about that, let me know.

Oh, and I was looking up some snorkel information and it doesn't look like they were ever designed to supply fresh air to the sub itself. It simply supplies fresh air directly to the diesel engines and a means to exhaust it back out. So looking at that, you should eventually have to surface to get more O2 to the crew.
Old 03-05-08, 06:33 PM   #42
Zantham
中国水兵

A quote from uboataces.com:

Quote:
Despite its advantages, snorkels were not entirely faultless and had to be used with close supervision. The intake pipe did not lead directly to the diesel engines. This was to prevent unnecessary stoppages as it was common for the intake valve to open and shut as the ocean waves swept over the snorkel head, periodically submerging it. Instead, the intake pipe led to the inside of the boat, providing breathing air for the crew as well as the engines. The engines would draw air from the interior of the boat as usual, where the entire volume of the boat itself acted as an air buffer.
http://www.uboataces.com/snorkel.shtml
Old 03-05-08, 06:36 PM   #43
Stuffer
Watch

Well then, I guess I was wrong. But like Xant said, I don't believe there's a way to mod that in unless it's already in the code as a hidden feature. Granted I'm not very experienced with this stuff, so who knows. Definately would be nice to be able to stay under.
Old 03-05-08, 06:55 PM   #44
Zantham
中国水兵

You guys may have already read this, but from my reading around the internet there is really not a lot of difference between a XXVII and an XXI. Basically the XVIII had a large storage area for the H2O2 , but in the XXI this area was changed into storage room for the batteries, which gave the XXI its remarkable range underwater.

http://uboat.net/types/xviii.htm

http://uboat.net/types/xxi.htm

For the XXI:
Quote:
3-times the electrical power of the VIIC gave the boat enormous underwater range compared to the older types and this boat could submerge far beyond the Bay of Biscay from the French bases so the Valley of Death was a thing of the past for them really. It took the boat 3-5 hours to re-charge the batteries with the Schnorchel once every 2-3 days if travelling at moderate 4-8 knots
I hope you guys can fix the issue people seem to have with the hydrophones or whatever , even if it still builds up CO2 , it builds up slow enough its not a big deal, in my opinion. It would be nice to have the option of adding a snorkel to the XVIII with no further enhancements (in the upgrade screen?), and have the XXI as a separate upgrade?

And may be pushing my luck a bit too far here... but is it possible to have the radar or radar warning receiver (Naxos I think) on the snorkel also?

geez... I need to take modding lessons...
Old 03-05-08, 07:03 PM   #45
Stuffer
Watch

The biggest difference between the XVIII and XXI is indeed the H2O2 and the batteries. The turbine design provided higher speeds, but the fuel was not easy to come by and didn't last long. The XXI wasn't able to see the same speeds as the XVIII, but with all the added batteries, it was now faster underwater than on the surface. And with a snorkel, this allowed it to be the first true submarine. So the biggest difference is speed and range.

I personally like the XXI because I still only rely on diesel/electric power. It comes down to a decent passive bonus(XXI) or a limited awesome bonus (XVIII) in speed and power.

And I have the snorkel and hydrophone working together now for both the 18 and 21. I didn't want to post it yet though since this is based off Xant's work, I wanted his permission. I'm going to try to add the Type XXI as a separate submarine if I can so you can select either in your career rather than be limited to one through the mods.