SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-18-19, 09:47 AM   #1
johnlax
Navy Dude

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 0
Default screen with estimated distance

I love SH III I am afraid I have gotten used to keyboard and function key lay out I realize that SH 4 does not use same layout! How can I get the screen that gives me a visual of ships and gives me reported distance. in SH III I use this as my main attack position looking through periscope

can anyone suggest ? also am I mistaken that not all function keys work for SH 4 as was the case in SH III ?
johnlax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-19, 10:04 AM   #2
mikesn9
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 68

Visual Image of ships: The "." key will toggle from contact to contact. "," key toggles in the reverse direction.

"n" brings up the Ships' ID book.

I never played SHII, so I can't answer any difference questions

I think you'll find the layout under your wolves of the pacific folder (JPG files)
SH4_Q-Ref_Card_Back
SH4_Q-Ref_Card_Front

I spent the cold war under water.
mikesn9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-19, 10:43 AM   #3
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

There is a mod to have SHIII keys in SH4... but I can't find it... OpMonsun has one similar, as does TMO... but I am awful when searching the downloads section here... Maybe RR or cdrsubron7 or s7rikeback will stop by and be able to remember - or Fifi, I'll bet he knows! - THEBERBSTER!

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-19, 12:06 PM   #4
jimmbbo
Run silent, run deep

Downloads: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlax View Post
I love SH III I am afraid I have gotten used to keyboard and function key lay out I realize that SH 4 does not use same layout! How can I get the screen that gives me a visual of ships and gives me reported distance. in SH III I use this as my main attack position looking through periscope?

Don't recall what SH3 did, but when using SH4's auto-targeting system, target ID, distance and speed are shown at the periscope station by selecting a target and using the Position Keeper.
jimmbbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-19, 03:42 PM   #5
johnlax
Navy Dude

Downloads: 21
Default range of target

I am still having problems finding range of targets. If I am in periscope mode how do I know how far the target that I am locked on too is away from me

am I doing something wrong? Do I have to toggle auto targeting on or off?
if so where do i find it sorry for newbee questions maybe I do not yet know how to use the position keeper how do i call it up and what should I be looking for? I recall seeing but it would not adjust its range read out
johnlax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-19, 08:17 PM   #6
jimmbbo
Run silent, run deep

Quote:
I am still having problems finding range of targets. If I am in periscope mode how do I know how far the target that I am locked on too is away from me am I doing something wrong? Do I have to toggle auto targeting on or off?
Quote:
if so where do i find it sorry for newbee questions maybe I do not yet know how to use the position keeper how do i call it up and what should I be looking for? I recall seeing but it would not adjust its range read out
No worries!! This thread has a great group of dedicated commanders who really know the game and enjoy sharing their knowledge...

The autotargeting feature is activated in the OPTIONS/GAMEPLAY menu on career startup or when in home port by deactivating (UNchecking) the MANUAL TARGETING system... It is only available in port or when starting a career.

After doing that, when you center a ship in the periscope a triangle appears at the center of the periscope, and the ship type, range and speed are displayed on the POSITION KEEPER.

The triangle colors for the probability of a hit are

GREEN - Excellent
YELLOW - Good
RED - Bad

Lock the target in the periscope by pressing the red "S" key on the TORPEDO FIRE CONTROL panel. Pressing the "S" key again unlocks the target to allow the periscope to rotate to other targets.
To see the layout and approximate ranges of the targets, switch to the NAVIGATION MAP (F3). If the targets are RED, they will be visible on the periscope. Selecting a target symbol will indicate the type of ship and approximate speed (slow, medium or fast)
Cheers!

Last edited by jimmbbo; 06-19-19 at 12:07 AM.
Old 06-18-19, 11:57 PM   #7
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
There is a mod to have SHIII keys in SH4... but I can't find it... OpMonsun has one similar, as does TMO... but I am awful when searching the downloads section here... Maybe RR or cdrsubron7 or s7rikeback will stop by and be able to remember - or Fifi, I'll bet he knows! - THEBERBSTER!
If playing OM+OMEGU, a mod is included inside called OM_SH3_Command_Keys.
In fact it’s included in OMEGU.
You can read it here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...10&postcount=1

After that, for SH4 without OM, you can always set your own keyboard using Jimimadrid keyboard mod: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...=4715&act=down

Hope that helps
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-19, 08:55 AM   #8
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Change or add keyboard commands

You can easily change or add keyboard commands in SH4. I previously did this in SH3 and since playing SH4, I have now changed or added keystrokes to SH4.

Locate the commands file (a MicroSoft Write file and can easily be edited) in the SH4 directory under Data, Cfg, commands. Copy this commands file and save it in another location to work on. Before working on it, make a copy of this file and rename it commands_original SH4 so you'll have a backup of the original file.

Then, create a mod file called "Commands Menu Mod" which will be your Mod for the JS Generic Mod Enabler. Under the mod file Commands Menu Mod, create a file called Data, then under Data, create a file called Cfg and then under Cfg, copy and paste the (original) commands file. This is the file you'll work on.

Then open the commands file with a double-click; a MS Write page will appear. Arrow down some 36-40 lines and you'll see the first command appear: [Cmd1] This is the first of 566 commands. You'll only need to edit a few as follows. These are the commands that I have added or changed:

[Cmd253]
Name=Return_to_course
Ctxt=1
MnID=0x3F060004
Key0=0x56,c,"CTRL V"

[Cmd261]
Name=Report_weather
Ctxt=1
MnID=0x3F250006
Key0=0x57,c,"CTRL W"

[Cmd313]
Name=Fire_torpedo
Ctxt=1
Key0=0x0D,c,"CTRL Enter"

[Cmd419]
Name=AAGuns_Fire_at_will
Ctxt=1
MnID=0x3F180006
Str=1063
Key0=0x5A,s,"SHIFT Z"

[Cmd430]
Name=Man_the_deck_gun
Ctxt=1
MnID=0x3F2D0002
Str=2944
Key0=0x58,c,"CTRL X"

[Cmd431]
Name=Man_the_flak_gun
Ctxt=1
MnID=0x3F2D0003
Str=2945
Key0=0x5A,c,"CTRL Z"

[Cmd434]
Name=Report_nearest_visual_contact
Ctxt=1
MnID=0x3F0A0008
Key0=0x47,c,"CTRL "G"

[Cmd436]
Name=Toggle_battle_stations
Ctxt=1
Key0=0x42,c,"CTRL B"

[Cmd437]
Name=Toggle_activate_damage_control_team
Ctxt=1
Key0=0x42,s,"SHIFT B"

[Cmd460]
Name=Radar_one_sweep
Ctxt=1
MnID=0x3F2B0002
Key0=0x52,,"R"

[Cmd461]
Name=Radar_continuous_sweep
Ctxt=1
MnID=0x3F2B0003
Key0=0x52,s,"SHIFT R"

[Cmd462]
Name=Radar_turn_off
Ctxt=1
MnID=0x3F2B0004
Key0=0x52,c,"CTRL R"

Notice that in each of the above commands, I've added or changed the line beginning with Key0=

Save this new commands file. So, to recap, you'll have a new commands file under the path: Command Menu Mod/Data/Cfg/commands

Assuming you use the JS Generic Mod Enabler, place this new mod into the MODS folder. If you don't, you'll need to manually replace the old, original commands file with your new file.

These are the keys we've changed:
R = sweep radar on
shift R = radar on
ctrl R = radar off

W = toggle tubes
ctrl W = report weather

Enter = now does nothing
ctrl Enter = fires torps

ctrl G = report nearest visual target

B = binocular view
shift B = toggles Damage Control
ctrl B = toggles Battle Stations

ctrl V = return to course

X = activate clock
ctrl X = man the deck gun

Z = toggle silent running
shift Z = fire AA guns at will
ctrl Z = man the flak gun

All that's left is testing. Hope this is helpful. Respond if you have any questions. Let me know, if you have any other needed keystrokes. I might want to add them too.
Old 06-20-19, 12:13 AM   #9
jimmbbo
Run silent, run deep

Thanks!
Perhaps a keystroke combo for DEPTH BELOW KEEL, as when being chased by the Sons of Nippon in shallow waters, that's information I can use NOW... Perhaps CTRL-D?
Old 06-20-19, 03:59 AM   #10
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

The following is the command for depth under keel:

[Cmd130]
Name=Get_depth_under_sub_keel
Ctxt=1
MnID=0x3F250005

I tried putting a keystroke under this command in SH3 and it never worked. I'm not sure why?

You might try adding one of these under the MnID= line:
Note the difference in the use of the capital letter vs the lower case letter in some of the codes.

Key0=0x44,C,"D" is used for normal dive. So, you might try:
Key0=0x44,c,"CTRL D"
or
Key0=0x41,C,"A" is used for maintain depth. Try:
Key0=0x41,c,CTRL A"
or
Key0=0x57,c,"CTRL W" is what I use for report weather. Try:
Key0=0x57,s,"SHIFT W"

Let me know if you find any other Command # for depth under keel or if any keystrokes work. Please pass along any other key change suggestions.
Old 06-20-19, 11:50 AM   #11
jimmbbo
Run silent, run deep

Thanks! Will give it a go.