SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-28-17, 02:15 PM   #61
Tango589
Still crazy as ever!

Downloads: 180
Uploads: 1

If the smelly brown stuff really is going to hit the fan in a MAJOR way, I'd rather park myself out in a deck chair with my wife next to me, music playing loud, plenty of wine and beer on hand and wait for the hammer to fall.

Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...
Tango589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-18, 04:34 PM   #62
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

So, it's really interesting to have conversations about what "might" happen if the US fires cruise missiles at targets in Syria and Russian says they will target American ships, which could lead to further escalation... People who laugh at preppers start rubbing their chins. When things started getting hairy, people start making plans.
Old 04-14-18, 11:52 PM   #63
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1375
Uploads: 0

well if the big one happens im too old and sit in my ways to change and the doctor told me I have to quit smoking and anyway I live though the cold war once
les green01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-18, 11:25 AM   #64
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

If life was a Hollywood movie I've reached the age where my characters bloody death is what the hero in the story uses to generate the outrage and motivation he needs to defeat the bad guys. The best that I can hope for is for him to say "well at least he took a bunch of them with him".

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-18, 12:22 PM   #65
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Have only this to say

If and if I get enough time before the nuclear holocaust begins I will take the trip to our Capital-And to be sure to be in the A-area or the B-area of where the blast is.

´Cause I live far away from where they expect the nukes will hit here in Denmark, and in Germany and Poland.

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-18, 01:12 PM   #66
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Who can say what things would be like after a limited nuclear war. It's very likely that life would go on but there would be super shortages and breakdowns in Services, that's what I prepare for, 6 months without food or water supplies coming in so I don't have to wait in epic lines at the Walmart for 12 hours. And of course, crime would be increased but I think people could still cope with it if they're ready. I really don't see the Mad Max scenario being very likely.
Old 04-15-18, 02:38 PM   #67
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Fuel was my limiting factor after Hurricane Irma. I've got at least a dozen five gallon cans waiting to be filled for the next disaster.

Publix was really good, they were up and running in just a couple days, even before power was restored. Banks and credit unions just said f' it and didn't bother to open or have ATMs for two weeks, so cash would be something to have on hand to. I already had that covered.

Having an older person to take care of can really reduce your chances too. If we get another hurricane I'd really consider putting my mom on a plane to my sister. She really worked against me during Irma.

Last edited by em2nought; 04-15-18 at 02:47 PM. Reason: expound beyond fuel
em2nought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-18, 03:02 PM   #68
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Don't forget your Jalapeno Pepper Jack, beef patty MRE

or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-18, 04:48 PM   #69
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
Don't forget your Jalapeno Pepper Jack, beef patty MRE
Everything looks disgusting save for the cookie, maybe they should let the Girl Scouts make MREs.
Old 12-16-18, 09:15 AM   #70
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

During our latest secret society meeting at our secret underground bunker, the Z-Team and I were discussing the pros/cons of MREs and other stored food supplies.

"MREs are 'specially engineered to last years, supply nutrition, and work in SHTF situations."

"Yeah, but they're damned expensive."

"So? MRE's can withstand parachute drops of 1200 feet."

"......"

My proposal is to keep a few large caches of food supplies that are simply cans and sealed dry food goods in a few (2~5) storage totes.

Simply fill the containers with canned food, such as
Spam.
Ready-to-eat canned meats, fruits, vegetables.
Protein or fruit bars.
Dry cereal or granola.
Peanut butter.
Dried fruit.
Canned juices.
Non-perishable pasteurized milk.
High energy foods.

Then use the food from one of the containers as everyday stores. When the container is empty, buy supplies and fill it back up, move it to the end, and start pulling supplies from the next container. This way you would use them gradually so they don't get old and keep an emergency supply at the same time. This would be way cheapers than MREs, and tastier, and you would always have a fresh supply of grub in case of hurricane, power grid failure, or alien invasion.

Don't forget to include a can opener.
Old 12-16-18, 01:37 PM   #71
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

MREs can be found for reasonable prices occasionally. I've also got some Mountain House and Patriot Pantry freeze dried meals. My stash is only designed with a hurricane in mind at the moment. I may alter that come 2020, or I may get out of dodge. I should probably work on planting the seed of a move overseas with my mother. My mother could live like a queen overseas, and have much better doctors than she does currently too. I always imagined someone who worries about EVERYTHING so much wouldn't be so likely to live so long. I guess I could benefit from the Maduro diet if the SHTF.

Brownells is now selling 7.62x51 and 5.56x45 by the barrel. LMAO
https://www.brownells.com/ammunition...rod124685.aspx
Old 12-16-18, 06:03 PM   #72
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8

The question is, for how long do you expect your food supply to last?
Old 12-16-18, 06:34 PM   #73
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

I like your plan to rotate the food by using it and then replacing it, but can food isn't always the best choice, especially if the are not lined (Campbell Soup is not a lined can) plus the dented cans are never safe.

Your storage plan is for short term ... long term storage like beans, rice, oats etc need to be stored in double barrels and never on a concrete floor. Why double lined? Rats will eat through the first layer, but give up when faced with a second layer.

https://thesurvivalmom.com/the-top-1...-to-not-store/

Foods to not store, long-term
1. Any canned vegetable or fruit that you do not like

2. Tuna
I know that canned tuna is a staple in many food pantries. However, I’ve discovered that after a couple of years, canned tuna becomes mushy.

3. Flour
As flour ages, it can develop a stale, rancid smell. Additionally, it likely contains the microscopic eggs of flour weevils, which will hatch at some point.

4. Saltine crackers
Just for fun, take a sleeve of saltine crackers out of the box and set them aside, at room temperature, for 3 or 4 months. You’ll never get over the stench of rancid saltines!

5. Graham crackers
I didn’t think our family favorite, graham crackers, could go bad, but they do go rancid with time.

6. Breakfast cereals
These are not packaged for long-term storage, likely contain GMO ingredients, and probably contain a lot of additives

7. Canned tomato products
Personally, I have always stored a number of canned tomatoes, tomato sauce, and tomato paste, but then, we use those products often in our meals.

8. Home-dehydrated foods
Again, these aren’t bad, but for long-term storage, they won’t last nearly as long, mold-free, as commercially dehydrated foods.

9. Brown sugar
There really is no need to store brown sugar if you have granulated sugar and molasses on hand. Molasses has an extremely long shelf life, as does sugar

10. Bottled salad dressing
When a bottle of Kraft ranch salad dressing is the same color as Thousand Island, you know something went very, very wrong on your pantry shelf!

again your plan to rotate food you eat regularly seems like a good plan.

Don't forget to purchase those big number ten size of nuts (Costco has them) you can buy one every month for sure, but grown men have been known to cry when they run out of them up in Idaho in the winter months,
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-18, 06:34 PM   #74
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

MRE's are great unless you have to live on a steady diet of them. After a while they all start to taste the same with the exception of Chicken Pesto Pasta.
Old 01-26-20, 09:21 PM   #75
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Moving all the Wuhan virus posts to its own thread.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
doomsday, prepper, preppers, survival