SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-23-20, 10:15 PM   #1
dashyr
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 181
Uploads: 0
Default I tried multiple mods. I think I'll stick to Op.Monsun. But, I need a hand.

I got OMEGU as well. Using KiUB.

I did print the KiUB manual but it is somewhat abstract. I guess somebody who has a general idea of how that work would be better served than me using that manual.

Is there a better tutorial for it around? Perhaps a well explained video?

Calculating the speed is not much of an issue since I use that ruler thing on the map. 2-3mins then lining it up with the distance traveled.

Problem is... I try to calculate the range with the wheel using the ticks on the periscope but it is almost always wrong. There has to be something I do not understand here. Looking at the "crosshair" of the periscope... I'm wondering if the guide might be out of date. Mine ain't exactly the same. In case that changes anything, I have the 16:9 "patch" installed as well since I play in 1080p.

If I cannot get the range right... I cannot really trust my speed calculation either. Not even mentioning it throw off my aiming. As always, I try to "eyeball" the AOB wich is not much of an issue since I am always trying for a 90 degree attack.

So yeah, anybody did a better tutorial for that thing or has a different method to calculate range? I'd love to play without map contacts.
dashyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-20, 11:50 PM   #2
dashyr
Electrician's Mate

I did manage to sink a merchant. Missed 2 times but my first torpedo hit dead center and teared the ship in half. (Around 1400km with eyeballed AOB.) https://imgur.com/rchsv1x

In the KiUB manual it says the Bismark is 57 meters tall. Yet, in my identification booklet it says it has 55 mast height. I 'm starting to suspect that the guide might be misleading me due to a problem with the game itself.

Is there a patched ID booklet I ain't aware of?

Something is throwing off my range estimate and I am not sure if it is the manual I am using or the game.

Last edited by dashyr; 01-24-20 at 12:00 AM.
Old 01-24-20, 01:50 AM   #3
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 452

Hi Dashyr,

First have to say i NEVER was able to get a PRECISE range in OM (stock OM, or OM+OMEGU)...i suspect it was designed that way, as in real, no precise range calculation to the meter
Range is often off by at least 100m...200m is often the case.
Knowing that error, you can adjust!

Second, if you shoot around 1000m away, distance setting cannot influence your solution.
Most of time, i never touch the distance setting and always hit
The most important factor is target speed and AOB. (Speed finding is really easy with the U-Jagd)
But keep in mind the closer you are, the less your calculations errors will impact your shot.
Distance setting is more important for long distance shots (2000/3000m)

Third, i believe in real, Kaleuns only had time for a distance estimation, not a very precise range distance. That’s why i love the way it is in OM...
But you always can ask your officer for a range distance by the way! He will give you a precise distance. Just click the « report nearest visual contact » icon in the order bar, and if the target is in the visual range of your crew it will give you the info.

Last, keep in mind torpedoes are set for speed and depth errors at the beginning of war. Only end of 1942 they are better, as it was in real
So get closer for best chances of hits!

Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-20, 02:30 AM   #4
dashyr
Electrician's Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi View Post
Hi Dashyr,

First have to say i NEVER was able to get a PRECISE range in OM (stock OM, or OM+OMEGU)...i suspect it was designed that way, as in real, no precise range calculation to the meter
Range is often off by at least 100m...200m is often the case.
Knowing that error, you can adjust!

Second, if you shoot around 1000m away, distance setting cannot influence your solution.
Most of time, i never touch the distance setting and always hit
The most important factor is target speed and AOB. (Speed finding is really easy with the U-Jagd)
But keep in mind the closer you are, the less your calculations errors will impact your shot.
Distance setting is more important for long distance shots (2000/3000m)

Third, i believe in real, Kaleuns only had time for a distance estimation, not a very precise range distance. That’s why i love the way it is in OM...
But you always can ask your officer for a range distance by the way! He will give you a precise distance. Just click the « report nearest visual contact » icon in the order bar, and if the target is in the visual range of your crew it will give you the info.

Last, keep in mind torpedoes are set for speed and depth errors at the beginning of war. Only end of 1942 they are better, as it was in real
So get closer for best chances of hits!

Speaking of being closer.

https://imgur.com/0tQ6nLj

Visibility was bad and the boat was rocking like crazy. I think he was around 800m away. Found this little cargo on my way back to base. I was sad to have found nothing during my patrol but hey... That guy quite almost handed himself over on a silver plate. Fired 3 torpedoes at different bearings, mostly forward, in case he would notice and start speeding up. Second ship I sink in full realism and another cut in half.

When I use the AOB finder for a range estimate. Do I just take the mast into account or mast minus draft?

Also, thanks for the reply. Good to know that it is kind of intended.
Old 01-24-20, 06:15 AM   #5
Fifi
Navy Seal

At the distance of your picture (around 600m) you can’t miss even with a small speed error!
Be aware you should set your torp depth to 3 meters to avoid any malfunction (first years war)
Don’t shoot below 400m distance cause torp won’t arm itself. It need around 350m to arm.

Seeing your screen shot you are playing stock OM...
You should try my Dark Water mega mod
It’s OM based, but very much enhanced.
Click on my signature picture to access the thread...
Currently Dark Water version 3, but tomorrow i will upload awesome version 4
Old 01-24-20, 06:26 AM   #6
dashyr
Electrician's Mate

Quote:
At the distance of your picture (around 600m) you can’t miss even with a small speed error!
Be aware you should set your torp depth to 3 meters to avoid any malfunction (first years war)
Don’t shoot below 400m distance cause torp won’t arm itself. It need around 350m to arm.

Seeing your screen shot you are playing stock OM...
You should try my Dark Water mega mod
It’s OM based, but very much enhanced.
Click on my signature picture to access the thread...
Currently Dark Water version 3, but tomorrow i will upload awesome version 4
Going to wait for tommorow then. XD

But, yeah. I'm getting decent at intercepts so I try to shoot within 1000m. But, I still want to know about the height. =/

When I use the height for the AOBF. Do I just take the mast height or add the draft to it? Or substract the draft to the mast?
Old 01-24-20, 07:20 AM   #7
Fifi
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashyr View Post
Do I just take the mast height or add the draft to it? Or substract the draft to the mast?
Just the mast height given by identifying book, nothing else to add or substrate

For next version 4 coming, read all the new features i will post with the download.
AI visuals have been completely re-done, and they will now detect your periscope if you leave it fully raised for more than few seconds. When you raise just at sea level, you will have more chance to stay undetected...but not for very long
And the more the sea is flat the more quicker they will spot your periscope!
Not to say tons of other changes...kind of new game
Old 01-24-20, 07:38 AM   #8
dashyr
Electrician's Mate

Quote:
Just the mast height given by identifying book, nothing else to add or substrate

For next version 4 coming, read all the new features i will post with the download.
AI visuals have been completely re-done, and they will now detect your periscope if you leave it fully raised for more than few seconds. When you raise just at sea level, you will have more chance to stay undetected...but not for very long
And the more the sea is flat the more quicker they will spot your periscope!
Not to say tons of other changes...kind of new game
Not so sure im a fan of the periscope detection thing. Depends on how long it takes. Might be extremely unfriendly to new players like me wich might end up having me use the pause. Wich makes the detection time kinda pointless. xD

I'll still try it. I might love that since I play with no external cams. Adds some tension.
Old 01-24-20, 08:41 AM   #9
Fifi
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashyr View Post
Not so sure im a fan of the periscope detection thing. Depends on how long it takes. Might be extremely unfriendly to new players like me wich might end up having me use the pause. Wich makes the detection time kinda pointless. xD

I'll still try it. I might love that since I play with no external cams. Adds some tension.
For sure it adds tension!...just like it was in real!
I didn’t want to make this mod for newbie you know, it’s really boring to stay undetected for ever in any circonstances
I wanted to close reality in the possible matter with a PC...that’s why new version 4 will be...harder for newbies
Version 3 was kind of game for newbies
The tip with the new periscope detection is to raise a bit (at sea level - kind of hard when waves ) take your marks and lower it as soon as possible!
When detected, cargo will start to zigzag and open fire (from 1941) if you are within its firing area...
Old 01-24-20, 09:02 AM   #10
dashyr
Electrician's Mate

Quote:
For sure it adds tension!...just like it was in real!
I didn’t want to make this mod for newbie you know, it’s really boring to stay undetected for ever in any circonstances
I wanted to close reality in the possible matter with a PC...that’s why new version 4 will be...harder for newbies
Version 3 was kind of game for newbies
The tip with the new periscope detection is to raise a bit (at sea level - kind of hard when waves ) take your marks and lower it as soon as possible!
When detected, cargo will start to zigzag and open fire (from 1941) if you are within its firing area...
Still. Don't overkill it.

There is difficult, then there is tedious.

Are you saying that they won't see periscope in vanilla? x_x
Old 01-24-20, 09:27 AM   #11
Fifi
Navy Seal

In stock OM they don’t see my periscope until VERY close...
And in Dark Water previous versions, type VII and IX periscopes were...invisible for AI!
Now it is fixed.
Old 01-24-20, 10:05 AM   #12
dashyr
Electrician's Mate

Quote:
In stock OM they don’t see my periscope until VERY close...
And in Dark Water previous versions, type VII and IX periscopes were...invisible for AI!
Now it is fixed.
Well, as long as it dosent go as far as being "instant"... It could be a nice addition.