SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-16-20, 05:25 PM   #451
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Your sub enters the game at 1000 hours on 22nd August, 1942, and the "timer" triggers at 1300 hours on 8th August, 1942
Triggers? So you enter in the future and the trigger is in the past? Are you saying there is a timer and it is messed up? I haven't hit the bottom in any of my tries so I'm still not understanding why it suddenly says I failed. I kill the first gunboat with a fish stay on the surface after that until a patrol gets close then go to radar depth so I'm never hitting the bottom and any patrol vessel that does get close I fish them and then run.

Finally did it. It took one hour and 57 minutes to get to the star for completion. I sank the first patrol boat taking only 2% damage before getting her. Then a race for the star on the surface the whole way at flank.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

Last edited by merc4ulfate; 02-16-20 at 07:58 PM.
merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-20, 11:39 AM   #452
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Hey merc! - we forgot about the way "time" works in the Mission Editor as it "translates" it to the game! That "timer" wants to run in the scenario, so when the game starts, it starts, just like it was 22nd August, 1942 instead of its given date of the 8th... therefore, I'll bet you are running out of time really close to that 1300 mark each time. Sometimes maybe 1301, another maybe 1305... ?? Sound reasonable? Therefore, if you open the scenario in the ME, and look at the "Triggers", change that "time" to say 1430, and you should get about another hour and a half to make it. Historically, I'm not sure what the scenario is based upon, because according to the USS Skipjack's Patrol Report, they were off Ambdon on the 22nd... ?? So what a skipper would have done in that situation - besides staying in the deep water during the daylight hours and then making a run across the shallows under cover of darkness, I don't know...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-20, 05:28 PM   #453
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Quote:
Hey merc! - we forgot about the way "time" works in the Mission Editor as it "translates" it to the game! That "timer" wants to run in the scenario, so when the game starts, it starts, just like it was 22nd August, 1942 instead of its given date of the 8th... therefore, I'll bet you are running out of time really close to that 1300 mark each time. Sometimes maybe 1301, another maybe 1305... ?? Sound reasonable? Therefore, if you open the scenario in the ME, and look at the "Triggers", change that "time" to say 1430, and you should get about another hour and a half to make it. Historically, I'm not sure what the scenario is based upon, because according to the USS Skipjack's Patrol Report, they were off Ambdon on the 22nd... ?? So what a skipper would have done in that situation - besides staying in the deep water during the daylight hours and then making a run across the shallows under cover of darkness, I don't know...
I stayed in the shallowest parts on the surface the whole run at flank. One hour and 57 minutes is all it took.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

Old 02-17-20, 05:44 PM   #454
propbeanie

So just run like H E double hockey stix, and hope they don't hit you too much, eh? Did you go right at the first gun boat?

Old 02-17-20, 11:59 PM   #455
FotRSU Mod Team
Team Leader

Downloads: 50
Uploads: 3
Default New Version 1.004.a Post - See Page 1 here!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Announcing 17th February, 2020

100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_Edition_v1.004.a_E N
== ^ Download Link ^ == Note: This mod is for "Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific" v1.5 only - with Uboat Missions Add-on

See Post 1 on Page 1 of this thread

Known Issues and Resolutions Worked On In This Release
  1. (+) Location: Pearl Harbor Date(s): December 7th Start only Assignment(s): "Patrol Marshalls Early 01" in PatrolObjectives folder. Circumstances: Player is told FruPac needs info on enemy movements etc. in Marshalls area, and the player is assigned Patrol Mili Atoll for a while. The Objective name in the mis file does not match the Objective name used in the tsr file, resulting in a "blank" "Objective: " summary on the Orders, and on the Captain's Log. The Objective does complete, and the player is advanced to Patrol the Jaluit Atoll, and then eventually to Truk Atoll. Fix?: Yes, file(s) edited, and will be in next release or a patch. Resolved?: Yes.
  2. (+) Location: Manila / Subic Bay areas, and other locations with multiple Objectives Date(s): December 7th Start mostly, but some others as well Assignment(s): "Patrol Verde Island Passage" S-Boat Objective - among others. Circumstances: Player is told to Patrol Verde Island Passage, and is then moved to Subic Bay patrol. However, the patrol area circle "disappears" for that area prior to the time for the player to complete the assignment. Similar will happen in other missions with multiple Objectives assigned, especially the "Hidden" objectives. Player can complete missions, just loses the artwork due to dating. Fix?: Yes, file(s) edited, and will be in next release or a patch. Resolved?: Yes.
  3. (+) Location: Pearl Harbor, War Patrol #7 Triton Date(s): June 26th, 1942 Assignment(s): "Triton's fourth war patrol took her to Alaskan waters..." in a Tambor boat, SS Triton. Circumstances: Game crashes sometimes while loading the scenario, apparently from the submarine being placed too close to the dock. Sea state determines if you crash, from the submarine being pushed into the dock while loading the scenario. Fix?: Yes, file(s) edited, and will be in next release or a patch. Resolved?: Yes.
  4. (+) Location: CenPac, closest to Midway during career mode Date(s): June, 1942 Battle of Midway Assignment(s): All boats patrolling near Midway near June 4, 1942 Circumstances: Game crashes sometimes when encountering certain Asashio DD. Apparently a naming conflict. Fix?: Yes, file(s) edited, and will be in next release or a patch. Resolved?: Yes.
  5. (+) Location: Game-wide Date(s): Around the Guadalcanal time frame Assignment(s): not applicable Circumstances: The intro movie that plays later in 1942 that is named "09_GUADAL_DB.bik" has a typographical error in the name "The Slot", which results in "The SPOT" instead being displayed on the screen map Fix?: Yes, file(s) edited and will be included in next release or a patch. Resolved?: Yes.
  6. (+) Location: Single Missions Date(s): A late Guadalcanal scenario above New Britain Assignment(s): Player is assigned interrupting a couple of small DD task forces attempting a Tokyo Express run to Rabaul Circumstances: The mission file is an old one, included in at least TMO, but might also be a left-over from an SH4 update file Fix?: Yes, file(s) edited to comply with FotRSU calls and will be included in next release or a patch as SM12. Resolved?: Yes.
  7. (+) Location: CenPac Date(s): Approx 11 February, 1942 as encountered in report Assignment(s): Patrol in Area A2 Circumstances: After first objective completed, updated during patrol to proceed to Area A6, but map draws on B6, while the synopsis in "Objective:" field shows "E6" Fix?: Yes - Edits completed, all to area "B6" Resolved?: Yes.
  8. (+) Location: East Asia & CenPac Date(s): various Assignment(s): Opening 7 months Circumstances: Encountering the "Battle..." missions, duplicate ship names are in certain files, causing bad spawns and / or CTDs Fix?: Yes - edits completed - testing. Resolved?: Yes. (related to #4 above)
  9. (+) Location: Game-wide Date(s): various Assignment(s): All Circumstances: Encountering airplanes, some see the players submarine, some do not. Several CTD encountered during encounters (unable to reproduce in same manner, but did get CTDs to throw). Fix?: Maybe - edits completed - Still testing, and other issues seem resolved. The airplanes do seem to be "super-sensitive" to all configuration settings, and this seems to affect other assets in a given scenario... Resolved?: Yes.
  10. (+/-) Location: Game-wide Date(s): various Assignment(s): All Circumstances: When taking damage internally, steam pipe breaks and Steam Burst.wav file plays. After damages are repaired, audio file continues to play (unable to replicate) Fix?: Maybe - edits completed - attempting tests. Audio exceeded 0 db scale, reduced both the pipe burst and the steam sound. Resolved?: Unknown.
Plus many others found listed in the "v1FixPatchReadMe_v1.004a.pdf" file in the Support folder of the mod - Plus other new stuff just waiting for you to discover! We don't even remember what we did!
Old 02-18-20, 12:04 AM   #456
Michael Wood
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 314
Default New Build

Downloaded and testing.
Michael Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-20, 02:38 AM   #457
propbeanie

I have some questions for you guys downloading: On my desktop Win7 8gig RAM, old Core2 Duo Quad Core, nVidia GTX560Ti, I have no issues. The game,while in Home Port, getting ready to depart, with all of the surrounding traffic and airplanes runs at 60fps if I don't limit it to 30fps. Nary a hiccup. But on this laptop, Win10 8 gig RAM, new core i7 with onboard Intel HD 620 graphics - which used to run the game just fine in similar fashion to the desktop - now CTDs when starting in the Home Port. I used to just have the usual Windows "hiccups" now and then as it did whatever it is that Windows 10 does. But now it will NOT run the game if I start my career in the Home Port harbor - the game will crash. However, if I start outside the harbor, all is well... ?? I just downloaded this. Is this something with my computer? It acts like LAA did not take on the executable, but it does show as being fine...?? Ubisoft Uplay version of the base game, btw - not that I suspect that at all ...

Does anyone else have a Windows 10 laptop, Core i7 with onboard video that is trying to run the mod? I do not understand what is going on with the beast and the mod. I have a few hardware things to try, and a few software things, as well as a couple of mod things... Please let us know if you have similar issues. Thanks.

Last edited by propbeanie; 02-18-20 at 08:43 AM. Reason: More detail
Old 02-18-20, 12:31 PM   #458
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Default Version Number?

Should the new version number be 1.104a? I'm sort of a stickler for keeping numbers in ascending order. Call me a "Version Nazi" if you will.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-20, 01:09 PM   #459
propbeanie

Naw. The original was numbered v1.0.1.g, so this is like a minor "fix" if you will, so in dropping the 2nd decimal point, aka: 3rd placeholder, and adding the leading zeroes to the "0" number (2nd placeholder) of the original release, we're using the letters (still) as the "build" if you will, of a particular set of files. With the airplane changes and some ship changes, we've actually increased from like a v1.000.1.g (if the leading zeroes would have been used) to v1.004.0.a, if you will. The use of the leading zeroes, such that we are talking about tenths, hundreths and thousandths, and not have single-digit places that turn into double- and even triple-digit places as the numbering advances, will now let you see at a glance that "1.004" is higher than "1.0.1", and that "v1.014.c" will be higher than "v1.004.a", or whatever the case may be. The placement of a digit in the 3 "decimal values" just signifies how high of a move this version is. Realistically, if a certain someone hadn't already done the artwork, it really should be like "v1.104.d" or "v1.014.d", depending upon your definition of "minor". Since this version is not fully backwards-compatible with the previous releases, just this side of a major release, but with no added functionality or anything "fancy", we kept it low. Like a "maintenance release"... Besides "Author's (Team) Perogative"...

Old 02-18-20, 02:07 PM   #460
propbeanie

Quote:
I have some questions for you guys downloading: On my desktop Win7 8gig RAM, old Core2 Duo Quad Core, nVidia GTX560Ti, I have no issues. The game,while in Home Port, getting ready to depart, with all of the surrounding traffic and airplanes runs at 60fps if I don't limit it to 30fps. Nary a hiccup. But on this laptop, Win10 8 gig RAM, new core i7 with onboard Intel HD 620 graphics - which used to run the game just fine in similar fashion to the desktop - now CTDs when starting in the Home Port. I used to just have the usual Windows "hiccups" now and then as it did whatever it is that Windows 10 does. But now it will NOT run the game if I start my career in the Home Port harbor - the game will crash. However, if I start outside the harbor, all is well... ?? I just downloaded this. Is this something with my computer? It acts like LAA did not take on the executable, but it does show as being fine...?? Ubisoft Uplay version of the base game, btw - not that I suspect that at all ...

Does anyone else have a Windows 10 laptop, Core i7 with onboard video that is trying to run the mod? I do not understand what is going on with the beast and the mod. I have a few hardware things to try, and a few software things, as well as a couple of mod things... Please let us know if you have similar issues. Thanks.
A combination of incidents that coalesced into a mess... First of all, Windows did an "update" on the Intel onboard HD 620 driver... say whuh? you might ask... I know, I know, should have happened a while back, but there it is. The "update" took out the Intel Graphics Control Center, rendering it useless, including the 'profiles' for SH4 that were in it... An 'accidental' side-trip to the Microsoft store (HP induced) led to the removal of the GCC and the installation of the Intel Graphics Command Center... one little word in the title, and all of that now functions, and I can choose more settings for the game. Wow.

Big thing - LAA was NOT applying to the SH4.exe in the game folder, but rather to an SH4.exe in a similarly named folder - yes, old man eyes it is... aka: "oldmanitis", and old man frustration... Re-did the install before I saw that... sheesh. In the meantime, if you have Intel onboard graphics, you really should get that Graphics Command Center, since it does open a few more options, such as anti-aliasing and frame rate control... Just pay more attention to what you're doing, like at least a nickel's worth, and put your good glasses on when doing mod set-ups...

Old 02-18-20, 10:47 PM   #461
Strykr
Mate

Downloads: 1076

I just downloaded this update.

It installed flawlessly, as per your instructions propbeanie.
Visually........WOW.
Bravo team.

I'm new to FOTRS, and certainly no expert.
But I'm looking forward to checking this out.

Thanks to ALL involved with this project.

Gotta go.....I'm heading back in to start a campaign.
Strykr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-20, 04:51 AM   #462
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Quote:
So just run like H E double hockey stix, and hope they don't hit you too much, eh? Did you go right at the first gun boat?
First gum boat yes I went right for it then turned due south ... there is a small channel between two islands. All the patrols were coming down the areas between the two deep holes. I went between the two islands and never had an issue after the first patrol gun boat.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

Old 02-19-20, 05:10 AM   #463
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397

Quote:
Naw. The original was numbered v1.0.1.g, so this is like a minor "fix" if you will, so in dropping the 2nd decimal point, aka: 3rd placeholder, and adding the leading zeroes to the "0" number (2nd placeholder) of the original release, we're using the letters (still) as the "build" if you will, of a particular set of files. With the airplane changes and some ship changes, we've actually increased from like a v1.000.1.g (if the leading zeroes would have been used) to v1.004.0.a, if you will. The use of the leading zeroes, such that we are talking about tenths, hundreths and thousandths, and not have single-digit places that turn into double- and even triple-digit places as the numbering advances, will now let you see at a glance that "1.004" is higher than "1.0.1", and that "v1.014.c" will be higher than "v1.004.a", or whatever the case may be. The placement of a digit in the 3 "decimal values" just signifies how high of a move this version is. Realistically, if a certain someone hadn't already done the artwork, it really should be like "v1.104.d" or "v1.014.d", depending upon your definition of "minor". Since this version is not fully backwards-compatible with the previous releases, just this side of a major release, but with no added functionality or anything "fancy", we kept it low. Like a "maintenance release"... Besides "Author's (Team) Perogative"...
Ok, I get it. It just looked funny going from a v1.01 to a v1.004. But now I understand why. W-a-a-ay back in the day, when we used punch cards as a source deck, we would sometimes not leave enough room in the card sequence numbers for adding/inserting new code. Created a mess that could only be solved by renumbering the whole deck. This is a bit like that, only it's easier to avoid version issues now. I doubt many can relate to my experience with punch cards - I started on an IBM 1401 Emulator program. I told you I was OLD!

As for the new version, after finally getting it all set up, I started a new career in S-34 out of Cavite, ending the first patrol at Surabaya with no encounters after useless patrol assignments in the Tabula and Makassar straits (going from memory, here). Just started the 2nd patrol, an insertion mission. Encountered an IJN Task Force too far away to attack. They turned right into me, allowing me to sink one of two escort carriers and make a clean getaway. I love the action, and the in-sub ambience is beautiful, day or night. You guys have done an incredible job once again. Many thanks.

Thanks.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All

Last edited by torpedobait; 02-19-20 at 05:19 AM.
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-20, 07:27 AM   #464
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strykr View Post
... Thanks to ALL involved with this project.

Gotta go.....I'm heading back in to start a campaign.
On behalf of the team, "thanks" for the thanks. We appreciate that. Good hunting, and remember to maintain radio at all times for changes to your orders...

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc4ulfate View Post
First gum boat yes I went right for it then turned due south ... there is a small channel between two islands. All the patrols were coming down the areas between the two deep holes. I went between the two islands and never had an issue after the first patrol gun boat.
That was the way I would usually try to go... You must be taking out the gunboat faster than I can, because ~someone~ snitches on me, and everyone else follows me that way... Do you get airplanes near the end, as you get closer to the Bohol Sea?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
Ok, I get it. It just looked funny going from a v1.01 to a v1.004. But now I understand why. W-a-a-ay back in the day, when we used punch cards as a source deck, we would sometimes not leave enough room in the card sequence numbers for adding/inserting new code. Created a mess that could only be solved by renumbering the whole deck. This is a bit like that, only it's easier to avoid version issues now. I doubt many can relate to my experience with punch cards - I started on an IBM 1401 Emulator program. I told you I was OLD!

As for the new version, after finally getting it all set up, I started a new career in S-34 out of Cavite, ending the first patrol at Surabaya with no encounters after useless patrol assignments in the Tabula and Makassar straits (going from memory, here). Just started the 2nd patrol, an insertion mission. Encountered an IJN Task Force too far away to attack. They turned right into me, allowing me to sink one of two escort carriers and make a clean getaway. I love the action, and the in-sub ambience is beautiful, day or night. You guys have done an incredible job once again. Many thanks.

Thanks.
Ah, but the first release was "v1.0.1.g", which in the new scheme would be "v1.000.001.a", which would be like running through the alphabet for that third digit placeholder and rolling over to "1" there... We just dropped that "one" placeholder, and put the leading zeroes "in view" for the 2nd placeholder... Sorry for the confusion, which is what we're trying to eliminate...

Now, as to your first patrol, like other subs' first patrols elsewhere, when in the Tablas Strait, about all you'll see besides fishing boats (usually), is the occasional Mavis flying boat, which I just got bombed by one last night while crossing the Sibuyan Sea... rassin rother dad-blame clouds and radar... (forgot to turn on the SD - "old-school skipper" is my excuse). Minimal damage, no injuries, but they know where I are in my little Sugar boat now... anyway, Manila, of course, was in disarray, and had no clue where the Japanese might be coming from, so wasted a lot of effort going to "quiet" spots. However, You should encounter something in the Makassar Strait... of course, it isn't exactly a small area to cover with one boat without radar. Just be sure to do the occasional "dip" down for your sonarman to try to find something. Of course, while testing, when I encountered something there during a test run last week, I shot four torps at some transports, all missed (say whuh?!!??) and then I spent the next roughly 23 hours game-time trying to avoid a couple DD and a subchaser... I say "trying"... If I wouldn't have used TC as much, I might have made it... dunno tho, 'cause I didn't... - but it was a good test.

Glad you like the look and feel of the mod. What type of "Insertion" do you have, and to where? I went through and tried to limit some of those 2nd missions, similar to what you get at the Beginning, to where you get only a select set of missions for your 2nd patrol, so long as you don't stay out too long for your first patrol...

Last edited by propbeanie; 02-19-20 at 08:08 AM. Reason: missed Strykr... :roll:
Old 02-19-20, 10:24 AM   #465
Michael Wood
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 314

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post

Thanks.

IBM 1401? I started on an IBM 402 accounting machine. Old time tabulator.

I started in the S-35 and was ordered to Lingayen Gulf. Not there, yet. It may be a hot area. Noticed that the officer limit for the S-Boat is still five, which the program assumes to be chiefs and officers, not just officers. And, many of the officers in all boats are still wearing the wrong collar insignia.
Michael Wood is offline   Reply With Quote