Click here to access the Tanksim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Tanksim.com

Old 08-02-10, 06:03 AM   #1
U-Schultz
Medic

Downloads: 73
Uploads: 0
Default Whats the point of new tanks?

I own both T-34 v Tiger and SFK42.

Have been away for a while and have just reinstalled both on a new hard drive.

Download mods - specifically for SFK42. New Tanks? Cool!

But what is the point of new tanks if there is no cockpits (commander closed hatch, driver, gunner, etc) for them?
Are you really limited to just the Open hatch commander (standing on top of the tank) view?

Am I doing something wrong?

This is not meant to bad-mouth the modders - god bless them - and I lack the skill to do any modding myself. But if we cannot add cockpits to new additional tanks maybe the focus should be on modding things that have a real impact on the game? The stock units, campaign, etc, etc.

Old 08-02-10, 11:47 AM   #2
Sledgehammer427
PacWagon

Location: Drinking coffee and staring at trees in Massachusetts
Downloads: 280

It's been a gripe of mine too, but I can ignore a flickering cockpit for the opportunity to use a Tiger I in combat in Kharkov.

Combining the Steel Fury engine with some of the tanks I've seen so far, cockpit or not, has basically renewed my game and kept it on my hard drive.
V-boat Nutcase - Need supplies? Japanese garrison on a small island in the way? Just give us a call! D4C!
Sledgehammer427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-10, 12:49 PM   #3
frinik
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 0
Default cockpits

Well U-Schultz I beg to disagree with you.Having new tanks-armour in the game even without the cockpits adds flavour to the game and allows you to measure yourself against some more lethal tanks and add more suspense and uncertainty to the missions.I make user-made missions and I truly appreciate having a larger menu of vehicles to chose from and testing various models against others. True enough, the simulation aspect is diminished for the hard core sim fans who really want to experiment the various crew positions.However nothing prevents talented modders in the future from making or designing cockpits for those new models.
frinik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-10, 06:55 AM   #4
U-Schultz
Medic

Downloads: 73

Yes, they make great AI units and are sweet for scenario and/or campaign building.

I guess I was speaking from a player point of view.

One thing I have never understood is why a stock cockpit cannot be assigned to a new tank unit. Must be a programming thing I reckon.
Old 08-03-10, 12:51 PM   #5
frinik
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 0
Default New Cockpits

I have asked myself the same question.The only answer I found in one thread was that modders tend to be purists or perfectionists and would rather skip making a "generic fits all" cockpit even if it would be much easier than to make the real one.
However with the new Steel Panzer mod 1.5 about to come otu either new cockpits will be added or it will be a matter of time until somebody tackles the problem and creates new ones for the new models.Just hang on and be patient. It will come.
frinik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-10, 09:46 PM   #6
Sledgehammer427
PacWagon

Location: Drinking coffee and staring at trees in Massachusetts
Downloads: 280

well, one problem I've found in the Steel Fury series and adding a stock cockpit or stock what have you into a new tank is that they are all kinda connected. the interior is connected with the exterior in game so that you get the feeling of popping out the hatch, and then jumping back in, the ventilation flaps on the Panzer IV's turret (so far the only tank that has been replicated with a stock cockpit)
because the interior has openings, the modder will have to precisely fit the openings with the openings on the exterior model. lots of trial and error and much easier to just leave the cockpit out of the equation and give the player the bare essentials until somebody with a lot of spare time can make a cockpit for every tank added in the game
V-boat Nutcase - Need supplies? Japanese garrison on a small island in the way? Just give us a call! D4C!
Sledgehammer427 is offline   Reply With Quote