SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-15-21, 03:59 AM   #1
sonicninja
Watch Officer

Downloads: 936
Uploads: 0
Default North Korea unveils new submarine-launched missile

Rocketman is at it again:-

North Korea has unveiled a new type of submarine-launched ballistic missile, described by state media as "the world's most powerful weapon".

Several of the missiles were displayed at a parade overseen by leader Kim Jong-un, reported state media.

The show of military strength comes days before the inauguration of Joe Biden as US president.

It also follows a rare political meeting where Mr Kim decried the US as his country's "biggest enemy".

Images released by North Korean state media showed at least four large black-and-white missiles being driven past flag-waving crowds.

The country's latest display of its arsenal comes at the end of a five-yearly congress of the ruling Workers' Party.

In his address to members last week, Mr Kim had pledged to expand North Korea's nuclear weapons and military potential, outlining a list of desired weapons including long-range ballistic missiles capable of being launched from land or sea and "super-large warheads".

He also said that the US was Pyongyang's "biggest obstacle for our revolution and our biggest enemy... no matter who is in power, the true nature of its policy against North Korea will never change".

Under Mr Kim's leadership North Korea has made rapid progress in its weapons programme, which it says is necessary to defend itself against a possible US invasion.

The unveiling of the new missiles appears designed to send the incoming Biden administration a message of the North's growing military prowess, say experts.

"They'd like us to notice that they're getting more proficient with larger solid rocket boosters," Mr Panda tweeted, noting what appeared to be new solid-fuel short-range ballistic missiles on display too. These missiles can be launched more quickly than liquid-fuelled varieties.

Source: BBC News 15/01/2021
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-55671745

Last edited by Onkel Neal; 01-15-21 at 11:13 AM. Reason: added link
sonicninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-21, 05:09 AM   #2
Cybermat47
Willing Webfooted Beast

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 22

What do you think he’s compensating for?
Old 01-15-21, 09:43 AM   #3
Torvald Von Mansee
Sea Lord

Downloads: 3

I absolutely think a Virginia or Seawolf should sink a NK boomer the second it comes out of port and is in deep water. Or even shallow water.

Bill Clinton apparently considered a military strike against NK's nuke program, but decided against it. He really, really should have done it.
Old 01-15-21, 11:01 AM   #4
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Bill Clinton decided a lot of things ... one was to lie to the US Senate that he did not have sex with that woman.

Yes we should take them out at whatever the cost ... I'm thinking about how to do this, but of course all I have is my hopes and dreams.

Please Mr new POTUS at lest think about it or face the prospects of having to tail the darn thing half way across the Pacific Ocean till it is on station in range of US territories.
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-21, 11:07 AM   #5
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

This is crazy. The US has been asleep at the switch for 20 years on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torvald Von Mansee View Post
I absolutely think a Virginia or Seawolf should sink a NK boomer the second it comes out of port and is in deep water. Or even shallow water.
Agreed 100%. But I doubt the US has a leader with the courage to do it.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-21, 11:24 AM   #6
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
This is crazy. The US has been asleep at the switch for 20 years on this.

Agreed 100%. But I doubt the US has a leader with the courage to do it.
And that is the problem

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-21, 11:41 AM   #7
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

If I was a leader I would think on following before giving an attack order.

1. What is their military and strategic goal and purpose ?
2. Will they become a threat to the world in the future ?
3. If order to attack is given-will it open the Pandora's box ?

Markus
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-21, 12:33 PM   #8
sonicninja
Watch Officer

Downloads: 936

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
If I was a leader I would think on following before giving an attack order.

1. What is their military and strategic goal and purpose ?
2. Will they become a threat to the world in the future ?
3. If order to attack is given-will it open the Pandora's box ?

Markus

I believe Rocketman wants the capability to strike US Bases in Japan, Okinawa, Guam and South Korea, these targets could all be hit from a short distance of North Korea's coastline and I firmly believe if RM's mental health deteriorates any further he would launch just for ****s and giggles as he's a selfish vindictive little demon with mental health issues.

I'm on the fence as to if China/Russia would strike back at the US as they know what a loose cannon RM is and it would possibly be in thier favour also if he was to shuffle of this mortal coil and a more modern leadership opened up in North Korea that would trade with Russia/China requiring infrastructure and all the other benefits a normal modern day country can enjoy.
sonicninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-21, 04:32 PM   #9
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8

Quote:
I'm on the fence as to if China/Russia would strike back at the US as they know what a loose cannon RM is and it would possibly be in thier favour also if he was to shuffle of this mortal coil and a more modern leadership opened up in North Korea that would trade with Russia/China requiring infrastructure and all the other benefits a normal modern day country can enjoy.
Russia would sit and prepare first for the fireworks and then both assistance to civilians experiencing effects of nuclear weapons in the countries involed and for all the angry speaches in UN and elsewhere.
Old 01-15-21, 04:37 PM   #10
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torvald Von Mansee View Post

Bill Clinton apparently considered a military strike against NK's nuke program, but decided against it. He really, really should have done it.

Step one: screw up de-nuclearisation of Korean peninsular with inconsistent policy.
Step two: wait till DPRK has the capability to deliver nuclear weapons to CONUS.
Step three: attack DPRK's nuclear forces, likely provoking a nulcear response.

I mean this would be a solid way to get 2021 in general and Biden admin's first 100 days specifically to outshine Trump's presidency in general and it's record in 2020 specifically.

If you would like I could even sim this for the likely casualties.

But hey, hitting other countries that make you feel (mutually) vulnerable with the big stick is the natural american response, huh?
Old 01-15-21, 04:47 PM   #11
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

I hate war

It is therefore very important that our leaders especially the President in USA is 110 % sure that KJU goal is to attack his neighbours and other countries if they intervene.
If the first bomb is dropped there is no way back and we really don't know what will happen thereafter. We can speculate, which these guys at Pentagon does.

Markus
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-21, 04:58 PM   #12
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikalugin View Post
Step one: screw up de-nuclearisation of Korean peninsular with inconsistent policy.
Step two: wait till DPRK has the capability to deliver nuclear weapons to CONUS.
Step three: attack DPRK's nuclear forces, likely provoking a nulcear response.

I mean this would be a solid way to get 2021 in general and Biden admin's first 100 days specifically to outshine Trump's presidency in general and it's record in 2020 specifically.

If you would like I could even sim this for the likely casualties.

But hey, hitting other countries that make you feel (mutually) vulnerable with the big stick is the natural american response, huh?
No, the US did not hit the USSR or Red China when we had the nuclear monopoly. We don't want to hit anyone. But having an unstable dictator threaten us make a difference.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-21, 07:33 PM   #13
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
No, the US did not hit the USSR or Red China when we had the nuclear monopoly. We don't want to hit anyone. But having an unstable dictator threaten us make a difference.

The problem here is... that the same arguments about instability, malice, etc were being applied at the time to say the Soviet leaders of the early nuclear age.

Same is happening now, except the names and countries in question have changed and a new set of entities are being deamonised in the media in not a dissimilar way to the good old McCarthism.

But this time there is no way to save face when mutual vulnerability happens, as DPRK is not a great power and as such a potentially worthy opponent the way USSR or PRC were back then. Which drives the infromational fevor further.

Still it is here now and you should be more careful what you wish for - as those military options have consequences, for example US cities burning.
Old 01-15-21, 07:35 PM   #14
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

And to get back to the problem - the DPRK's build up is in large part the result of US choices, such as killing de-nuclearisation initiatives both in Korea and in Iran.

Still, we are ready for any contingencies, and for us any outcome that does not include stronger US position in Korea (close to our borders) is entirely acceptable.
Old 01-15-21, 08:08 PM   #15
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Take out boomers, okay. They will find a way to retaliate. Non-traditonal ways. A nukie in Pyöngyan does this and that damage. A nuclear device in Los Angeles does a very different scale of damage. Thats the problem when trading nukie blows with a primtive state - ther eis not much damage you cna do to him, while he can do a lot od dsamage to what is yours. He may be a have-not. That you are rich is what makes you vulnerable.

Today it may be too late to do anything. It should have been done while the evil still was small and weak.
But Western politicians are obsessed with the idea that they need to let it grow strong and come to power first before then deciding that they cannot do anythign anymore. Sports and fairness and all that.

Although already Lao Tse said that the evil must be fought while it still is small and weak.

Now, Iran. Years and years of wasted time so far. I doubt they will learn the trick this time around.

Same mistake, repeated again and again and again. Its hopeless.