Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 08-10-11, 07:04 PM   #16
Valantine
Planesman

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

There was talk years ago of Shockwave doing the third installment of B17 after they bought the B172 source code in early 2005, I believe they even got as far as getting an alpha engine together before it was put on indefinate hold to concentrate on other projects.
V

ARMA 3 Co-Op Battalion Recruiting Worldwide
http://www.iijg53.com
Valantine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-11, 07:13 PM   #17
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

Read this review from Amazon

This review is from: B-17 FLYING FORTRESS - THE MIGHTY 8TH (Video Game)
I have Windows 7. When I placed the CD in my computer, it downloaded a Whitney Houson album. Enough said.

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-11, 10:05 AM   #18
Kptlt. Neuerburg
Admiral

Downloads: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valantine View Post
There was talk years ago of Shockwave doing the third installment of B17 after they bought the B172 source code in early 2005, I believe they even got as far as getting an alpha engine together before it was put on indefinate hold to concentrate on other projects.
V
It would be great if Shockwave re-started this "forgotten" project, but considering how well they did with BOBII in respects to stratgey and air-to-air comabt,a third B-17 game should be right up their alley.
Old 08-11-11, 11:00 AM   #19
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

I could well see Shockwave and BDG doing this as a joint-project.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-11, 01:41 PM   #20
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

GOG.com has a digital copy of B-17 Flying Fortress: The Mighty 8th for $5.99
http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/b_17_...the_mighty_8th
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-12, 02:58 PM   #21
oscar19681
Admiral

Downloads: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kptlt. Hellmut Neuerburg View Post
It would be great if Shockwave re-started this "forgotten" project, but considering how well they did with BOBII in respects to stratgey and air-to-air comabt,a third B-17 game should be right up their alley.
I asked shockwave/ a2a simulations to redo a b-17 migthy eight game and they said they wanted to do it but they did not know when , I asked them 2 years later and they game me the exact same awnser and the community seems to be only interested in a non combat b-17 version for FSX which is very good but the b-17 still remains a combat aircraft ! But i dont understand why other company,s that still make good WWII combat flight sims dont make a b-17 flight sim. It seems that when its not the Pacific theatre , or the russian front it seems to always orient around the battle of britain. If they do base it on the later europian air war they alway totally ignore the b-17 or the b-17 it presented arcadish or is unplayable. Its time to another good -b-17 sim now , its been well over 12 years since someone had done it. I still play b-17 the mighty eight because it still fun to do and it features virtual crew managment that adds something that other flight sims just dont add. But to be honoust the game is really starting to show its age , i would really love to see a modern version of b-17 II with the virtial crew managment included offcourse.

Jim Morrison 1943-1971
oscar19681 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-12, 10:43 PM   #22
GSpector
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 11

Other than FSX, I think B-17 TME was the only Sim I stuck with for many many months. The Crew Management was the best, especially when you flew a full campaign with 12 Bombers. That was 120 Crewmen to keep track of. I think it took me almost as long to fly the mission as it did to update all the Crewmen records that I was keeping.

It is about time that it be remade and to remain as close to B-17: TME as possible. Basically, just update the graphics and fix the problem with Promotions and I'd buy it again.

Is there any way this site could start a campaign to petition Shockwave (Or someone capable up updateing it), to do this project?
Old 04-25-12, 10:50 PM   #23
GSpector
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 11

As for Bombs-Away, that is sad news but since Hasbro took B-17 and then Infrgrames (now Atari), decided to shelve this title, it was only a matter of time for the site.

I loved visiting that site daily, much like this site, just to see what's new. In fact, to show my support to that site, I was asked to create the Award Ribbons that were being earned on that site. I even designed a patch but never new if they were ever made.
Old 01-29-14, 05:26 AM   #24
Taff in Exile
Swabbie

Downloads: 69

Hello,

I realise I'm dragging this topic up from the depths but I've recently starting playing this game again and have used the AngelFire links to get a number of the mods etc.

The one thing I'm missing and have been searching for an age is the Olive drab skin. Does anyone still have this tucked away on their HDD or know where to find it as 80% of sites/links are now sadly dead.

Here's hoping.

Cheers

Taff
Taff in Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-14, 11:53 PM   #25
smithcorp
Bosun

Downloads: 27

I will have a search in my archive Taff. I still play it (and love your YT videos).
smithcorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-14, 12:24 AM   #26
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

I'm also interested in the mods for this game. I got it this summer and played the crap out of it. Love it....went looking for mods and it seemed that they were all dead.

I'd like to be in the loop on this one.
Old 01-30-14, 03:22 PM   #27
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taff in Exile View Post
Hello,Cheers Taff
Welcome aboard on your first post TAFF IN EXILE!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-14, 03:28 PM   #28
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Hello,

I realise I'm dragging this topic up from the depths but I've recently starting playing this game again and have used the AngelFire links to get a number of the mods etc.

The one thing I'm missing and have been searching for an age is the Olive drab skin. Does anyone still have this tucked away on their HDD or know where to find it as 80% of sites/links are now sadly dead.

Here's hoping.

Cheers

Taff
Welcome to SubSim

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-14, 03:17 AM   #29
smithcorp
Bosun

Downloads: 27

Quote:
Hello,

Here's hoping.

Cheers

Taff
I collected together a few OD skins, plus a weathered aluminium skin, for anyone who wants them. They can be downloaded from here:

http://www.smithcorp.com.au/files/b172skins.zip

cheers

smith
smithcorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-14, 07:45 AM   #30
Taff in Exile
Swabbie

Downloads: 69

Thankyou for the warm welcome and thanks for the links :-)
Always nice to freshen up these great old games :-)
Taff in Exile is offline   Reply With Quote